Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Dom's fit is the key line there. He hasn't been consistently fit for nearly 3 seasons. He may as well be prime Messi but if he's on the treatment table more often than not what's the point. It's getting to the point now where we have to almost prepare for games like Dom won't be available and then if he makes it, it's a Brucey bonus.

It's a really difficult one because if I had any faith in the club actually being competent enough to replace him I would sell. With the exception of Pickford I have no sentimentality towards any of these players (they've nearly relegated us twice now, they clearly aren't good enough) but we know how this plays out, we saw it with Lukaku and umpteen players since. We can't keep releasing/selling players and not replace them.

And if last night proved anything to me, it's that whilst we have some talented kids they aren't ready to take on the Premierleague. They were chasing shadows at times yesterday and sticking a Dobbin or a Warrington into that squad now will wreck any potential they have. They need good loans and a clear pathway to progress.
just to say before i get pelters, I am aware and i do believe had DCL stayed fit all season we would have finished comfortably mid-table last season. But again, taking sentimentality out of it he's injury prone and we can't afford passengers. It also does him no good having the massive weight of expectation on his shoulders every season because the club are incapable of getting him support/backup

He'd have got a game last season for sure.

That's one good example of why we should be reluctant to ship these kids out en masse as a policy.

Its an area we dont have balance in my opinion mate.

I think the club is so need of money that the DOF's are under pressure, at least Thelwell is proving he can do deals, Brands just sold low hanging fruit in the main i would have kept, Lookman, Robinson etc - while most left on a free.

Robinson was a clanger in my opinion. While loaning out Simms proved to be too given we had to bring him back to play a role. That shouldn't happen.

At the same time we should be looking for a return on what we produce if they aren't going to make it.

It does feel these deals arent at out own discretion though and are driven by necessity rather then anything.

The club is being run by the seat of pants at the moment.

His 18 games fit will be wasted on us by and large.

We need a consistent scorer of scabby goals to win 40 points. Calvert-Lewin will work better with better quality movement around him.
You need more than one forward though. I think it would be a very bad move myself unless we have two strikers ready to go even then this late in the window it's a big gamble. Especially when we haven't bought a good forward for years.

….I can see Okoronkwo & even Sherif leapfrogging Cannon in the pecking order next season. I thought Okoronkwo stepped up on his previous appearance last night. He was up against a mountain of a professional but showed some decent technique running the channels and occupying the CB. i think Sherif has just signed his first contract so must be well thought of to get some game time.

Two with promise.
Though he did well last night.
Really like the look of sherif has something about him bit of aggression and seems to pick the right areas to use it.

Its an area we dont have balance in my opinion mate.
I think the club is so need of money that the DOF's are under pressure.
Robinson was a clanger in my opinion. While loaning out Simms proved to be too given we had to bring him back to play a role. That shouldn't happen.
At the same time we should be looking for a return on what we produce if they aren't going to make it.
It does feel these deals arent at out own discretion though and are driven by necessity rather then anything.

The club is being run by the seat of pant at the moment.
Exactly that.

just to say before i get pelters, I am aware and i do believe had DCL stayed fit all season we would have finished comfortably mid-table last season. But again, taking sentimentality out of it he's injury prone and we can't afford passengers. It also does him no good having the massive weight of expectation on his shoulders every season because the club are incapable of getting him support/backup
Issue is do you trust this club to replace him with anyone remotely capable? Because I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back