Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed and I think we’re trying to get them as seen by the links to Gnonto and Bilal Toure.

I just don’t understand why when we are heavily linked with players it’s the usual responses of ‘Danjuma will pick Milan’ ‘we won’t be getting Gnonto’ etc. all the same stuff we heard about Onana last summer

Yet one completely unsubstantiated tweet about DCL going on loan for free or god forbid a link to Che Adams and those things are definitely happening and it’s pile on Everton time again.

Let’s wait and see what the squad looks like at the end of the window. It still needs several new additions but we haven’t made a bad start. If we could sign Gnonto plus another striker I think we’d be in a decent position to keep away from relegation.

Just like we tried with Kudus, Broja and another 30 attacking players last season.

Against a backdrop of the last two seasons, it's not good enough.

All I've said for years on here now is the same thing - I'm a massive tedious bore with it but there's not enough creativity/goals in this team to keep us away from a relegation fight. I found it bonkers a lot couldn't see that last summer, and I find it astonishing fans are still putting up an argument against it.

If people want to allow themselves to be convinced we'll be sound with the typical pre-season optimism, then fair play but its bollocks. The reality is we've survived by the smallest of margins for two seasons on the spin now - the last one we finished with our lowest ever points total, and scored just 34 goals - 5 of them coming vs Brighton. No coincidence our best performances under Dyche (Arsenal/Brighton) come with Calvert-Lewin.

The season kicks off in 17 days and we've signed Young and Danjuma.

We don't have a striker who has played one pre-season game - we started last season for 5/6 games without a striker.

It's an absolute disgrace whatever way you spin it.

I think the ultimate question will be is whether Frank Lampard was really that bad and whether Sean Dyche for a full season will be enough to get us that extra ten points to make us feel a bit more comfortable.

The squad is obviously lacking but I think Dyche is a better man manager than benitez and better tactically than Lampard to maximize their strengths. Add two more attackers (and even get rid of grey) and I think we will be more than fine.

I’d love another centre back but think Branthwaite should be given the chance to step up.

Dyche is worth a few points - he'll go % football but this squad is fighting relegation no matter the manager because, yet again - it doesn't have the players who can create or score goals.

Give Dyche a decent number 9, and any composure in that final third and we should be sound.

I said this last week. Dont think many posters realise this...

Bring in those two and a CM and were top 10.
Still like a cb in me if Tarkowski is out i dont trust the others. I would be happy with anything mid table this season just a boring season. So we can keep improving

We will be judged every weekend on the pitch from the 12th August. I'll be judging us from week 1 when we play meaningful matches.

I certainly don't accept the judge us at the end of the window narrative. That is a narrative we've heard rolled out time and time again, and it's absolutely not good enough. We were told in Janaury we would have a striker. Instead we sold a player for over 40m and reinvested £0.

The lack of backing to Sean Dyche is an absolute joke. I want to see action immediately, because he currently has not got the players available to do his job properly. And when things go wrong, it's always the manager who takes responsibility, not the chairman or owner who have failed to back them properly.
Yup. Whatever one thinks of Dyche - and I think he did a bang-up job keeping this pathetic rabble up - he has had no support whatsoever from the hierarchy. He spent nothing in January and we're scrabbling around on loans now. He's the last person who I will be pointing any fingers at when this ship inevitably sinks in October. Kenwright is still here. And Moshiri thinks that's fine. That's all anybody needs to know.

To me, it makes no sense for El Bilal to go to Atalanta.

Yes theyre a good side with a top coach. Yes its a great place to live. Also yes he'll have then played in France, Spain and Italy so good for his development no doubt.

But the premier league is the place to be.

Our difficulty is , if we are honest with ourselves , that we are no longer that attractive , to the quality of strikers that we need to recruit. Effectively we are reaping what we have sown. Previous mismanagement at board level has led to a gradual demise into 2 desperate fights against relegation. Combine that with the boardroom turmoil, and would you want to sign for us ?.

I've been thinking about this and, upon reflection, as much as I fought his corner and gave him a chance whilst he was here it was clear that he was woefully out of his depth. His little stint at Chelsea after us, plus some of the interviews he and a couple of players have conducted recently, just reinforces that.

I do think that, based on my early impressions of Dyche, he's much more suited for our position and not to mention he's also clearly far more experienced at this level (and a better 'man manager' for sure). We're in a better position now than we were at the start of last season IMO.
Absolutely agree with all this

Just like we tried with Kudus, Broja and another 30 attacking players last season.

Against a backdrop of the last two seasons, it's not good enough.

All I've said for years on here now is the same thing - I'm a massive tedious bore with it but there's not enough creativity/goals in this team to keep us away from a relegation fight. I found it bonkers a lot couldn't see that last summer, and I find it astonishing fans are still putting up an argument against it.

If people want to allow themselves to be convinced we'll be sound with the typical pre-season optimism, then fair play but its bollocks. The reality is we've survived by the smallest of margins for two seasons on the spin now - the last one we finished with our lowest ever points total, and scored just 34 goals - 5 of them coming vs Brighton. No coincidence our best performances under Dyche (Arsenal/Brighton come with Calvert-Lewin).

The season kicks off in 17 days and we've signed Young and Danjuma.

We don't have a striker who has played one pre-season game - we started last season for 5/6 games without a striker.

It's an absolute disgrace whatever way you spin it.

Dyche is worth a few points - he'll go % football but this squad is fighting relegation no matter the manager because, yet again - it doesn't have the players who can create or score goals.

Give Dyche a decent number 9, and any composure in that final third and we should be sound.
Great post - reality.

We are repeating the same mistakes from the last two years, and hoping our luck holds and there are three teams worse than us - our luck may run out.

….was it Woan saying they want him “fit fit” which I assume means without any problems. I’m not sure anybody with a history of very serious thigh muscle injuries will ever reach that status but it seems they don’t want him breaking down after a few games.

The plan to get him ‘fit fit’ was lauded by many on here compared to him supposedly being rushed back by Benitez and Lampard.

Yet 3 times under Dyche the lad didn’t make the second half of a match and he didn’t put a run of games together at all. We need to forget about him completely.

To me, it makes no sense for El Bilal to go to Atalanta.

Yes theyre a good side with a top coach. Yes its a great place to live. Also yes he'll have then played in France, Spain and Italy so good for his development no doubt.

But the premier league is the place to be.
Here’s your answer as to why Atalanta appears to be his destination. He’s still young so the PL is still a distinct possibility sometime in the coming years.

But right now, it’s a sensible option if he isn’t purely motivated by money and prestige. Still, I do hope he chooses here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back