Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
…not sure if he’s past his sell-by date, but I always thought Antonio was ok. Decent in the air and certainly the physicality to occupy CBs in this league. Would have helped us lots if we had him last season.

Agreed. I’m not sure whether it’s age or injuries that people are concerned about but I think he’s probably a decent squad option for a team in our position.
Just think is a risk if dcl has another season like the last two. Would be pressure on him to play alot of games also could be wrong but sure he had his injury problems last season. We really need a player who can come in and take over from dcl if he is out. Also again what price and money would he want

I suppose on paper Maupay should have got that many goals though really hes not very good but I never thought he was that bad I can't remember but I probably thought it was an OK move when we signed him it just didn't work out that way. I agree with the people saying some people aren't being realistic about what we can do or even what we're trying to do more to the point. Whether we like it or not its pretty obvious that Everton just want to stay in the league for now and nothing more than that so there is a bit of realism needed to remember what market we're shopping in and how good anyone we sign is going to be.
I'm realistic about who we can attract (nobody top tier) and who we will be able to move on (none of the usual suspects on high wages) but realism doesn't have to mean buying whatever below average "PL proven" striker that has never scored a decent amount of goals, even in PL teams that create chances (something we've struggled with) that happens to be available. That "premier league proven" striker will want a "premier league proven" wage that we'll be saddled with for the length of his multi-year contract once we realise he's rubbish. We do this every year, we're linked with a bad premier league player, around a quarter of posters convince themselves that he's not rubbish then spend ages trying unsuccessfully to convince others that he's not rubbish, Thelwell spends four weeks trying to sign the rubbish player, we finally sign them for too much money in the last week of the window on too much money on too long a contract, the player then stinks the place out, rinse and repeat.

he's on about 250k a week pal, so unless united are willing to pay 75% of that it's a non-starter

does he perform very well for England? he isnt as bad as he is for united like but he's hardly great.

don't get him me, every time i watch him he does something ridicolous, i think without the pressure of being at united his game would pick up more, but the whole finances involved we wont be anywhere near him thankfully
Dont see a deal as you say no way we pay that a week and then be shocked if we had the money to buy him. A loan with us having to buy him after this season but again go to the spilt on 250k a week, i do think he would do well here is a similar player to mee and tark.

This is delusion at its finest.

Top 6: City, Utd, RS, Arsenal, & two out of Chelsea?, Newcastle? Spurs?

If they think we've got better deals than Villa so far this window they need to go have a sit down for 10 mins to get their heads straight.

Think villa have got some good players in but the price and wages involved in them are questionable i think.

We can all shoot down Che Adams & Antonio but the realistic approach is they would improve us. Yes it’s a low bar but it’s not like we’re flush with money.

“But he only scores 3 goals a year” ,the flip side is that McNeill scored more league goals last season than he has in his entire career at Burnley. You can counter it by using Maupay as an example how he did well at Brighton but has bombed here, it’s all about set up and systems.

We all just don’t know what they could achieve in Dyches set up.

The business done last year was good apart from Maupay - which if we’d have got someone more suited to our system we’d have been safe long before the last day.

Che Adams is where we’re at. Sure I’d like a FM wonder kid with a 180+ PA but I’m also mindful of the situation the club appears to be in.
Che Adams and Antonio will not be cheap. They are under contract, their clubs will want a fee. They are on decent wages currently, Antonio in particular, they won't want to take a pay cut, they will want a pay rise. It is a myth that players like this are cheap.

I've seen a number of posts now throwing digs at the club for no 'long term' planning...

What exactly does that look like in our current predicament, I ask? it's quite clear that we desperately need to stay in the Premier League, so that has obviously been the priority here. We can think about more 'long term' signings when we're in BMD and financially stable...
You need a balance and I think we’re trying to get that. Nothing is more important long term than the short term goal of staging up. You can still look to the future but you need to be pragmatic- Southampton and Leeds had squads packed with potential and it did them no good, and now they get their high potential picked off. You need these short term solutions to preserve the long term goal.

Regardless of the names I think last summer was a good balance for us. Short term solutions (Tarky, Gana, Coady) and long term investments (Onana, Garner, McNeill). You need both.

I'm realistic about who we can attract (nobody top tier) and who we will be able to move on (none of the usual suspects on high wages) but realism doesn't have to mean buying whatever below average "PL proven" striker that has never scored a decent amount of goals, even in PL teams that create chances (something we've struggled with) that happens to be available. That "premier league proven" striker will want a "premier league proven" wage that we'll be saddled with for the length of his multi-year contract once we realise he's rubbish. We do this every year, we're linked with a bad premier league player, around a quarter of posters convince themselves that he's not rubbish then spend ages trying unsuccessfully to convince others that he's not rubbish, Thelwell spends four weeks trying to sign the rubbish player, we finally sign them for too much money in the last week of the window on too much money on too long a contract, the player then stinks the place out, rinse and repeat.
I agree with you I suppose what I mean is if Maupay had scored five to eight goals like that post said then he would have been an OK buy for the money and the same for Adams or anyone like that. I don't think what you're saying only applies to premier league proven players by any means in fact some of our worst buys recently have come from abroad its only that people like the idea of people they've never heard of more not that they actually work out any better in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back