Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
…not sure if he’s past his sell-by date, but I always thought Antonio was ok. Decent in the air and certainly the physicality to occupy CBs in this league. Would have helped us lots if we had him last season.
Agreed. I’m not sure whether it’s age or injuries that people are concerned about but I think he’s probably a decent squad option for a team in our position.

For decades the best teams have had a player like Tarkowski. Typically with a ball playing centre back alongside him.

I dont think he and Branthwaite will be 'average' as a partnership once theyve had a chance to bed in together.

Ofcourse, but we are talking about individuals, and he he is an average prem english defender.

He is 30 and has Burnley and us on his CV, thats just confirms hs status as a decent / average level defender.

I like him....but he is nothing special, he is not even close to Jags, and even he was an English clogger type....but a bit better.

I've seen a number of posts now throwing digs at the club for no 'long term' planning...

What exactly does that look like in our current predicament, I ask? it's quite clear that we desperately need to stay in the Premier League, so that has obviously been the priority here. We can think about more 'long term' signings when we're in BMD and financially stable...
Looks like long term planning to me:

Defence: Branthwaite / Patterson
Midfield: Garner / Onana
Attacking Midfield: McNeil
Centre forward: Chermiti(?)

All of them under 23.

Why have you put a link to this commercial deal article in the transfer thread?

Mischief making ?

Moyes wants expensive pl experience types and the board/Dof reckon there is better value to be had abroad.
In which case I really don’t know why they don’t just settle up with Moyes and move on. If the hierarchy want young progressive signings you need the manager for it, and he did have a squad too talented for a relegation battle right in one last season.

He saved himself in Europe but maybe that success should’ve been an opportunity to part ways on good terms.

I have receipts. Anyone can search Ancelotti and your username - all you did was slate the bloke - not the right man to take Everton forward, worst football you've seen Everton play, we underachieved with him ever etc etc. Don't make me multi quote you.

Well, we're now managed by Sean Dyche and debating if 33 year old Michail Antonio can help stave off relegation. How do you like them apples? That's the reality of the situation.

It's all about staying in the league - we clearly haven't got much money so we need to balance who we bring in with a level of experience/ability that can come in the form of Ashley Young and Michail Antonio.

Ashley Young is better than Mykolenko, and we needed cover. He gives us that.
We're desperately short upfront, Michail Antonio would start for us at the moment.

Antonios hamstrings are made of lace.
Also, the football under Ancelotti was turgid and we did underachieve.

Didn't we lose about 10 home games on the bounce? One more would have been Europe.

Harry Maguire would be sound for us.

Not worked out at Utd - he's become a bit of a meme. But he's far better than any of our CBs and I'd 100% take him if we could work out a deal.
What's sound about an aging, underpeforming inconsistent and short of confidence massively overpaid cb?

Fit right in like if anything

Harry Maguire would be sound for us.

Not worked out at Utd - he's become a bit of a meme. But he's far better than any of our CBs and I'd 100% take him if we could work out a deal.

Think it's mainly due to the fact his technical or tactical level isn't up their with the best, especially under Ten Jarg. Form has gone too.

There's been a big jump since he broke on the scene. His attributes of bringing the ball out of the back into midfield don't seem to be needed anymore. Most of the top sides have the deep laying midfielder doing that now.

So he's been asked to hold a higher line and be able to pop the ball across the back 4 and midfield which I don't think he can do at a high level.

For us he'd be like Maldini at CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back