Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have extended family who are Hammers fans (my Arsenal supporting wife is from NE London & her wider family splits Arsenal, Spurs, Hammers). They mainly love Antonio but all worry that his accumulation of injuries means he is near/at the end. Given we need experienced cover for an injury prone striker Antonio is too much of an injury risk himself IMO. As unappealing as it is Che Adams is probably our best affordable fit to need.

I'm realistic about who we can attract (nobody top tier) and who we will be able to move on (none of the usual suspects on high wages) but realism doesn't have to mean buying whatever below average "PL proven" striker that has never scored a decent amount of goals, even in PL teams that create chances (something we've struggled with) that happens to be available. That "premier league proven" striker will want a "premier league proven" wage that we'll be saddled with for the length of his multi-year contract once we realise he's rubbish. We do this every year, we're linked with a bad premier league player, around a quarter of posters convince themselves that he's not rubbish then spend ages trying unsuccessfully to convince others that he's not rubbish, Thelwell spends four weeks trying to sign the rubbish player, we finally sign them for too much money in the last week of the window on too much money on too long a contract, the player then stinks the place out, rinse and repeat.
100% 👏👏

Bournemouth are building some side.
Screenshot_20230802_121733_X.webp

Rather than signing ‘better than X crap player’ I’m much more into taking a gamble of signing ‘the next Lukaku’ or ‘the next Richarlison.

I actually think that’s more what our recruitment has tried to be with Patterson the next Coleman, Garner the next classy but gritty English United academy graduate, Onana the next big thing from Belgium but deals like Maupay and potentially Che Adam ruin all those good graces because they’re just a waste. Deals like Tarkowski and Young make sense on frees for experience but why waste actual money on the likes of Maupay or Che?
Isn't Chermiti the potential though? But in our position we also need solid and reliable. I'm not saying I want Adams et al by the way. But if you only buy potential and none of them produce you go down look at Southampton

Totally disagree with the bolded part.

If you think Tarkowski is "average" and Jags was a "clogger" then im not sure what types of defenders you would rate bar the obvious.

Well I think Jags & Tarly are the "Clogger" type of defenders.

I think that "type" to be average in reality, but as you say all good defences need this type of defender.

Obviously their are different levels to that "cloggerness".

I agree with you I suppose what I mean is if Maupay had scored five to eight goals like that post said then he would have been an OK buy for the money and the same for Adams or anyone like that. I don't think what you're saying only applies to premier league proven players by any means in fact some of our worst buys recently have come from abroad its only that people like the idea of people they've never heard of more not that they actually work out any better in the end.
You're absolutely right about some of our overseas players but I would argue that's because we often take the same approach to buying overseas players that we do to PL players. That is "have they played for a big team in a big league?". Often the players we are lumbered with are older players that have come from a big team in Spain, Italy or Germany and cost a lot of money in either fees or wages or both. Onana is the exception, and maybe that's Thelwell's influence, and I'm all for this Sporting Lisbon lad. It's very hard to judge any of our DoFs as I have no idea who is actually in charge of this stuff at the club. This window has been odd so far and I'm unconvinced that we have a particular strategy, which is a worry as we haven't had a coherent strategy for years and that is why we're in such a mess.

Ofcourse, but we are talking about individuals, and he he is an average prem english defender.

He is 30 and has Burnley and us on his CV, thats just confirms hs status as a decent / average level defender.

I like him....but he is nothing special, he is not even close to Jags, and even he was an English clogger type....but a bit better.
He was very highly rated at Oldham as a youngster but had issues with his feet which held him back at the time.

It's all well and good bashing every striker that we're linked with and proclaiming that they won't score goals. Everyone seems to be missing a key issue. For a LONG time, strikers at Everton have had to make their own luck. The supply from the midfield is pathetic. Our build up play is obvious and tedious. It has been for as long as I can remember. We must have the slowest counter attack.

You can stick whoever you want up front, but with our lack of service (or horrific passes/crosses) they're not going to score many.

We have 2 massive issues, both concerning the same group of players. The midfield have awful distribution and the midfield don't step up and share out the goals enough.

Can't believe we are interested in signing Antonio from West ham and that slow old centre back from man utd whose on £200k a week.Braithwaite will be a great player if they use him correctly.need to rid of Michael keen.also desperately req 2 fwds who know how to score goals and have a good goalscoring record

You're absolutely right about some of our overseas players but I would argue that's because we often take the same approach to buying overseas players that we do to PL players. That is "have they played for a big team in a big league?". Often the players we are lumbered with are older players that have come from a big team in Spain, Italy or Germany and cost a lot of money in either fees or wages or both. Onana is the exception, and maybe that's Thelwell's influence, and I'm all for this Sporting Lisbon lad. It's very hard to judge and of our DoFs as I have no idea who is actually in charge of this stuff at the club. This window has been odd so far and I'm unconvinced that we have a particular strategy, which is a worry as we haven't had a coherent strategy for years and that is why we're in such a mess.
I agree in fact thats exactly what I meant really in that whether its che adams or the equivalent of che adams only from Schalke instead of Southampton doesn't make much difference. Thats the market we're shopping in especially with the Portugese kid coming in they aren't going to go for another player like him they're going to go for a steady eddie because they haven't got the money to go for someone whos properly good.

He was very highly rated at Oldham as a youngster but had issues with his feet which held him back at the time.

I like him, hard, decent enough for where are now.

But no club playing in Europe will ever be looking at him, thats just a realisation of where we currently are with many of our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back