Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we could move out Gray and Iwobi thats a big step in the right direction.

Iling Junior (perm) and Kamaldeen Sulemana (loan with option) and we have real pace out wide and players able to put a cross into Chermiti.

IF we can build a team of majority u25s then we wont need to have a scattergun approach any longer and instead can put all funds into say 2 players a summer.

Thats when we bring in a super 10 to open teams up.

Iwobi won't be going anywhere. We'll sell Gray and bring in one other winger

Whether or not we tie Iwobi down to a new deal or he leaves next summer, I have no idea, but Dyche values his defensive workrate and, despite his many, many flaws, he is statistically our most creative player and one of the most creative players outside the Sky 6, whereas Gray is less useful defensively and is nowhere near as creative (albeit he's slightly more of a goal threat).

I'm not saying I think we shouldn't sell Iwobi, but there's been no real hint of it being on the cards and the stats tell you why Dyche would value him

Whether or not we tie Iwobi down to a new deal or he leaves next summer, I have no idea, but Dyche values his defensive workrate and, despite his many, many flaws, he is statistically our most creative player and one of the most creative players outside the Sky 6, whereas Gray is less useful defensively and is nowhere near as creative (albeit he's slightly more of a goal threat).

I'm not saying I think we shouldn't sell Iwobi, but there's been no real hint of it being on the cards and the stats tell you why Dyche would value him
His overall game isn't good enough that one of the bigger teams (not just here European teams also) are not going to come in for him, and his wages are too high for what a smaller team/more mid table would want to pay for him. Also he see's himself as a CL player which doesn't help.

Talking to Villa fans yesterday who were very confident of a top 6 finish. They're not going to be far off
The post I was replying to seemed to suggest that villa would be in financial turmoil if they don't finish top 4 this season. Suggesting they're going sheet or bust. I was saying there's no way the club is gambling it's whole future on finishing top 4 next season. Which they won't. Maybe they have an outside chance but the owners are not betting everything on getting there next season

Shows how quickly you can turn things round too if you make a decisive progressive managerial appointment.
We were only out of the relegation zone on goal difference when Slippy was sacked. Manager / Head Coach is the most important role in a club to get right, more important than any single player yet clubs pay tens of millions in transfer fees for players millions a year in wages yet baulk at paying a fee to get a manager.

The post I was replying to seemed to suggest that villa would be in financial turmoil if they don't finish top 4 this season. Suggesting they're going sheet or bust. I was saying there's no way the club is gambling it's whole future on finishing top 4 next season. Which they won't. Maybe they have an outside chance but the owners are not betting everything on getting there next season
Next year the top 5 get into the Champions League gravy train. I expect Villa will try to finish 5th but there is no way it would be the required outcome

Yes I'm hoping your gut feeling is wrong about an Iwobi sale. We need him next season...not a popular view, I know...but we also need to stop playing him on the wing. (Where he will almost definitely start against Fulham)
I think the issue for me is if Dyche insists on reverting to a 4-4-2 (which I know he hasn't so far to be fair). We just don't have the ability to create from the centre with a 2 (even though I actually rate most of our current CMs).

If, for example he tried to play Iwobi or Dele as one of a two, we'll be destroyed. If he plays one off the striker, we lose the work rate of Doucoure and a goal contributor. But if we play Doucoure in CM, his control and passing is Championship standard. Difficult conundrum for the manager.

And that’s the issue. Anyone we sign is a gamble because we can’t afford or attract proven quality players in the main. Under Moyes we had enough that paid off so we could establish the club as a top half team.
Yeah, whatever faults he had, Moyes did pretty well recruiting on a shoestring. It would have helped if he’d done more to improve the youth set up but that shouldn’t be the first team manager’s job these days - that’s what your club structure/management is for.

This guy has end of contract free transfer written all over him.

Stats from last season. For half a season. While looking for a new deal.

He's had 3 prior seasons of being muck and won't be playing CM under Dyche.

Runs about loads though.

I think the issue for me is if Dyche insists on reverting to a 4-4-2 (which I know he hasn't so far to be fair). We just don't have the ability to create from the centre with a 2 (even though I actually rate most of our current CMs).

If, for example he tried to play Iwobi or Dele as one of a two, we'll be destroyed. If he plays one off the striker, we lose the work rate of Doucoure and a goal contributor. But if we play Doucoure in CM, his control and passing is Championship standard. Difficult conundrum for the manager.
the obvious dream is Dele rolls back the years to 15/16 or 16/17 and we get the work rate and goals of Doucoure but then also 10 yard passes to team mates not being received at knee height (can tell its pre season my optimism hasn't been destroyed just yet)

We've got to be doing a hell of a lot more alongside a 21 year old lad from Portugal. Danjuma isn't a striker, and we need about 15 goals added to the squad this season to stay up comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back