Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The market for selling particular players only exists if clubs want to purchase the player. Arsenal tried to buy Caicedo in the last window and both RS and Chelsea were trying to buy him in this window. That is why the price was so high. That doesn't mean Onana is suddenly worth 70m. It is only when clubs try and buy a player that the value will be determined. Currently, there appears to be no interest in Onana

The reports today are that United made an enquiry. Why would they ask about a player they have no interest in.

Maybe the reports are not correct of course

Yes if we had a different and better team then I'd be more confident too
the point being that Thelwell does seem to have a decent enough eye for young talent with high potential, so I'd be more inclined to believe that we'd reinvest far better than we did post-Lukaku. Any current recruitment issues seem to stem from financial/wage constraints, whereas when he's got his pick of the bunch and playing real life football manager, I feel more confident in his ability to bring in the right profile of player (maybe this is incredibly misplaced, we'll see)

This is the wrong window to sell Onana. He will kick on in his second year like Caicedo did. He may not match him defensively but he has a more all round game. I am not saying he will be worth £115m next summer but there will be more interest and much higher fees than £50/55m. Worth remembering he is ahead of Lavia in the Belgium pecking order as well so that sets a comparable floor value right now.

Agree with the reasoning that Onana's valuation is between that of Lavia and Caicedo, and with a good season this season he could easily be a £100m player.

Yet, the time has surely passed in this window to sell him, as there isn't enough time to get an adequate replacement in. I wouldn't accept the £50m quoted by The Guardian, as I feel he's worth more than that and there is a sell on fee with Lille to be considered too when all is said and done.

The reports today are that United made an enquiry. Why would they ask about a player they have no interest in.

Maybe the reports are not correct of course
Not all reports are true though. The report linking Man Utd with Onana suggests that they would have to pay 50m for him. Do you believe that part of the report too?

The market for selling particular players only exists if clubs want to purchase the player. Arsenal tried to buy Caicedo in the last window and both RS and Chelsea were trying to buy him in this window. That is why the price was so high. That doesn't mean Onana is suddenly worth 70m. It is only when clubs try and buy a player that the value will be determined. Currently, there appears to be no interest in Onana
Except there is, from United, hence the discussion.

Not all reports are true though. The report linking Man Utd with Onana suggests that they would have to pay 50m for him. Do you believe that part of the report too?
I believe any club would have to pay over £50m to sign him this window, and quite a lot more than £50m

He is a better player with a higher profile, and more international caps, than Lavia, who is worth £60m.

I could imagine United are interested in signing the player, but maybe not at the value it would take. The market is the market right now, and they have to pay a fee that reflects that or we will keep the player.

Except there is, from United, hence the discussion.
It is a rumour about United being interested. It may well be true but as we all know, clubs are linked to many players every day during the transfer window and the vast majority of them end up being BS. But, absolutely nothing wrong with discussing it, that is what the forum is for. But the point I was making is that Caicedo's sale price does not suddenly put Onana as a 70m player. Even the report suggests 50m

I believe any club would have to pay over £50m to sign him this window, and quite a lot more than £50m

He is a better player with a higher profile, and more international caps, than Lavia, who is worth £60m.

I could imagine United are interested in signing the player, but maybe not at the value it would take. The market is the market right now, and they have to pay a fee that reflects that or we will keep the player.
Maybe Lavia actually played well last year, Onana was anonymous mostly.

He has a good 5-10 mins and disappears for the rest. Top teams won’t pay big money until he influences games more.

Still haven’t seen any credible links about this anyway, Myers certainly doesn’t count.

Maybe Lavia actually played well last year, Onana was anonymous mostly.

He has a good 5-10 mins and disappears for the rest. Top teams won’t pay big money until he influences games more.

Still haven’t seen any credible links about this anyway, Myers certainly doesn’t count.
Think it's hard to argue Lavia had the better season. Both players played in poor teams but Southampton were still somehow significantly worse than us.

Not much to choose between the players in my view, but would give slight edge to Onana right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back