Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Gnonto, at least for me, I see someone who we can make massive money off of in future even after paying £25m for him. Look at Caicedo and Lavia now, obviously different positions but the fees for what they’ve actually done is insane.

We get Gnonto we’re getting a full Italy international forward at 19. If he gets to a point where he’s getting 15 G/A a season then we’d be able to flip him in 2-3 years for about £80m. It’s a no brainier move in my opinion.

These are the types of deals we should be making for young players in my view, like we did with Onana. Buy them with intent of tripling their value and getting rid. It’s the smartest way to run a club while still being successful.

No. The deals we should be making are buying him a year ago when Leeds did for a fraction of what we are about to pay.
I feel both these angles. Yes, we need to start targeting and scouting better for younger prospects on lower outlays. We are doing the cost effective thing with relegation squads looking to clear books, loans and frees and assuring a level of competency. That gig has limits though when we don't start garnering returns from sell ons. Ive pounded all summer u23 names across europe quoted for under 15 million. I still think thats the best longterm strategy or at least should be more apparent in our business.

I also though do agree that if thats not going to be done, I welcome a Gnonto deal (especially in the current context of the player leveraging a sell) then the run of the mill veteran add. You would hope we would have the scouting to target a similar player prior to an england move. That said its still a possible value regardless even if its not a steal from the context. Leeds are getting their hand pushed. The player wants to come. I think it would have merit. But it depends ultimately on the fee.

Doesn’t always pay off. Moise Kean didn’t quadruple in value, contributed nothing and seemed a bit of a tit despite being a full international and tales of using his lunch money to pay to enter footy games behind the church etc etc. Total failure, with both him and the club to blame. Willy already showing a lack of respect for his contract (and I hope he continues to, but still).

We have to be properly sure about how he fits into the team and his attitude to lob what might be all of our kitty at him. Can’t buy him as an investment to make money in 2025 if he’s crap for 2 years.

Still want him though just for a bit of excitement. Losing and being boring has gone on for too long.
I just look at the Moise Kean business differently. First it was a logical bet, he was a pedigree prospect in the world at the time. Second there weren't any favors on our end considering our dysfunction.

But more importantly we made profit albeit a small sum. The point is that even in a largely miss of a transfer his age and upside was enough for us to recoup the funds. Something that couldn't be said for the majority of our other business.

Moise isnt a cautionary tale. That extends to half the squad and how they were acquired before it does to him. They may be better than him, but the rationale of investing younger with upside is demonstrated by Kean's eventual return.

And of course theres a reality that we repeat the model and triple the initial amount invested. But even in our negative experiences (Vlasic, Lookman etc) they have been less costly than the myriad of players we have simply waited to expire off the books.

As for Gnonto the antics that are taking place are helping us in negotiations. He is using the leverage he has. I wouldn't take that as anything but a help in us acquiring the player.

No. The deals we should be making are buying him a year ago when Leeds did for a fraction of what we are about to pay.
I think the issue has been partially that but also where we do spend a few bob on players we see no appreciation in value down to their development or performances because the team are often struggling. Perfect world we do well in scouting AND coaching, but we seem to do well in neither so pay probably the largest transfer fee that the player in question will ever see for themselves. No appreciable resale value (Certainly outside of Gana, Stones, Lukaku that I can think of)

Simon Jordan was saying with the legnth of contracts they are handing out apparently it works out to 75m on the 600m they spent last season and the 300m this season works out at 60m or so. Dodgy as fooooook though
I presume this is Chelsea taking a huge risk that the players they buy are going to bring success to the club, because 20-30 players all on 7-10 year contracts is eventually going to catch up with them if they don't.

Thinking Onana is not in play if the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea come calling with bids is alehouse logic. If Chelsea or Arsenal want Onana this window he would be a Chelsea or an Arsenal player. It is the same for the vast majority of players at the majority of PL clubs
Just like Gnonto

Whats boring is always being told you must be happy with it when you're definitely not happy with it. Everton have been a shambles for ages and I don't like that at all I want all the board gone and competent professionals to replace them but I CAN'T CONTROL THAT! I'm just a supporter so I support them I complain about them but I'm also realistic and I'll judge the transfer window on the reality of how it could feasibly go not on what i'd like to happen ideally because that would be stupid. I would rather we were signing Mbappe but we're not going to do that so I actually think Jack Harrison is quite a good signing in the context of this being real life. I am an Everton supporter I don't support the board or the manager or individual players I just support the club if I didn't support them when the owner or chairman or chief exec was crap then I wouldn't have ever been to a game because this has been going on for all my life. I'm not an entitled brat who's going to say I deserve better because why do I its my choice to support them and theres fans of hundreds of clubs who would swop in a heartbeat for what I moan about I hope it all changes and we become great but if it doesn't I'll still be here as an Evertonian because its an emotional thing that has f all to do with accountants and commercial deals and some people have lost sight of that because they're too busy in their superhero cape saving the club. Rant over.
Sorry but you're heading down a wormhole here .

Nobody is suggesting we become the best in world football and sign the best players not even close to that .

We are asking as paging customers that the business we invest in is ran correctly, that is all we currently want and require everything else comes after that .

The only way to do this is to keep building pressure on the current regime . I'd this is being and entitled brat then yes many of us are in your world an entitled brat.

Yes, all clubs do and all clubs don't automatically spend all of the money generated through player sales on new players. If you get loans to pay for the stadium the loans need to repaid, where does this money come from to repay the loans and pay the interest?
Not this season, We've finally realised we don't want to be spending any available cash on a Championship Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back