Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
….I haven’t got a clue what the original deal was or the final deal is but I know what a shambles we’ve become.

Then tbf mate your comment didn't make much sense

We are absolutely shambolic, of that there is no question, but we have no idea if we've budged or Southampton have or that's it's simply a case of it taking this long to find common ground on a deal which works for both parties

We simply must sign a cb and striker .

We can’t have a striker that spends more time with the doctor than he does with a football and a centre back that runs and turns so it looks like he’s playing football on the moon.
We're miles away. Need a CB, CM and two attackers still.

Cannot have only Garner, Onana, Gana and Doucoure as our CM options this season again.

Aye. It's been that way for years maybe bar the Carlo second season, our forward is totally isolated. You may be right about Maupay but he's used to a more passing build up so he could probably drop deep in the build up for Brighton and get in the box. Lampard bought him because he believed he could progress the team it was naive. We are very direct and as you say the pressure is all on the forward to just make something happen, with the second striker/number ten, Doucoure in our case running on to the bits, It's very much a 451 /4411, Dyche likes direct football we need a target man, I would wager Maupay would be better off a target man.

…I find this excuse amusing. if you watch Maupay ‘drop deep’ for Everton he actually labours to then get in the box because he can’t keep up with play. Have a look how often we get the ball wide and see him floundering.

Also, a 2nd striker doesn’t only play off the no9. During a game the ball will often be played into them, Maupay can’t cope with passes played into him. A 2nd striker will have to work the channels, Maupay has no pace or physicality to worry defenders when the ball is played in behind. A 2nd striker is usually sharp when the ball falls to him in the box, Maupay isn’t.

It doesn’t matter if Brighton are a passing team, it doesn’t matter if you’re a loan striker or a ‘2nd striker’, a forward has to have a basic skill set. Maupay has not in the least demonstrated a basic skill set at Everton. The fact he looks sharper this season is not something he should be credited with, his condition last season is something he should be ashamed of.

There are no excuses for Maupay’s performance levels at Everton.

If I could be arsed to look back, id show you that I said the same then, Dyche was used to working with grocks and there were few managers anyone on here could think of that were available and would come.
Dude, I've never known you take anything but an ultra-positivist view. If Vitor Pereira rolled in, I'm 99% certain you'd have been telling us he was just the guy to guide us into Europe!

P.S. We don't really have grocks, our players aren't hard enough or commited enough to be called grocks. We have slobs.

Dude, I've never known you take anything but an ultra-positivist view. If Vitor Pereira rolled in, I'm 99% certain you'd have been telling us he was just the guy to guide us into Europe!

P.S. We don't really have grocks, our players aren't hard enough or commited enough to be called grocks. We have slobs.
I LOVE the idea of some young, exciting manager coming in, it would make me so happy however, January was not the time for that, we needed backs to the wall mentality and had no time for some new random, trying to implement intricate, beautiful football with this lot. As I say, get some stability, a couple of lower-mid table finishes and then get someone in. Lord knows when we get to that point though

I LOVE the idea of some young, exciting manager coming in, it would make me so happy however, January was not the time for that, we needed backs to the wall mentality and had no time for some new random, trying to implement intricate, beautiful football with this lot. As I say, get some stability, a couple of lower-mid table finishes and then get someone in. Lord knows when we get to that point though
Not this season, that's for sure. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for another 17th place finish.

…I find this excuse amusing. if you watch Maupay ‘drop deep’ for Everton he actually labours to then get in the box because he can’t keep up with play. Have a look how often we get the ball wide and see him floundering.

Also, a 2nd striker doesn’t only play off the no9. During a game the ball will often be played into them, Maupay can’t cope with passes played into him. A 2nd striker will have to work the channels, Maupay has no pace or physicality to worry defenders when the ball is played in behind. A 2nd striker is usually sharp when the ball falls to him in the box, Maupay isn’t.

It doesn’t matter if Brighton are a passing team, it doesn’t matter if you’re a loan striker or a ‘2nd striker’, a forward has to have a basic skill set. Maupay has not in the least demonstrated a basic skill set at Everton. The fact he looks sharper this season is not something he should be credited with, his condition last season is something he should be ashamed of.

There are no excuses for Maupay’s performance levels at Everton.
I wasn't necessarily making excuses for him at all, I was explaining what kind of player he is compared to a target man like Adams and why he doesn't fit us if he's playing as a number nine, even with accepting that he has drastically under performed even the profile I have described yes. He's been very poor even on his own terms his technique is ok and he has got in positions but lacks that strikers instinct, pace and strength. He doesn't stick up top to get taps ins, he does run in behind much as you say his hold up and link up play has been poor too for someone you would describe as a second striker. He has also been pitiful finishing for someone with his record prior. Naismith for instance played a similar second striker role but was far more active and far more aggressive, he would make himself a nuisance arielly and would make efforts to get in the box and finish, so although Maupay has had chances of course he hasn't been anywhere near good enough too. My point was if you were going to play him off a target man would make more sense playing him on his own will never work. But it's been a very bad signing because he has been poor and doesn't fit the profile for the team,if we can sell him we should.

Last edited:
I wasn't necessarily making excuses for him at all, I was explaining what kind of player he is compared to a target man like Adams and why he doesn't fit us if he's playing as a number nine, even with accepting that he has drastically under performed even the profile I have described yes. He's been very poor even on his own terms his technique is ok and he has got in positions but lacks that strikers instinct, pace and strength. He doesn't stick up top to get taps ins, he does run in behind much. He has also been pitiful finishing for someone with his record prior. Naismith for instance played a similar second striker role but was far more active and far more aggressive, he would make himself a nuisance arielly and would make efforts to get in the box and finish, so although Maupay has had chances of course he hasn't been good enough too.

…ah, so you agree there’s no excuse for him being useless ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back