Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leno weren’t worth £30m to Arsenal though, as he was no longer needed.
I’m talking how much he’s worth to Everton, not his market value.

I’d rather keep him than spend the £30m on another iwobi.
What we can spend to replace him matters in the value of what we'd sell him for.

Hopefully true but are we putting it beyond this board to sell him anyway by the 30th of June? Richy wasn't that keen on leaving for Spurs specifically either. The club has form
Difference was Richarlison was promised a move and wanted away.Sadly for him only Spurs were interested.

Thing is United would probably mean he doesn't have to move too if he lives in Cheshire or whatever. So the settled argument doesn't mean much if United come in with a big bid. I can see it happening sadly in our state.

Difference was Richarlison was promised a move and wanted away.Sadly for him only Spurs were interested.
True but if United come in with 60m plus he's gone we can't turn down that money in our position. Again do I trust recruitment to fill in the gaps? No. But it would allow room again for us to spend as we did last summer. I would be asking for Henderson either on loan or sale as part of any deal.

And I don’t trust us to replace him and solve some of our other problems with £30m.
I wouldn’t enter the negotiations for anything below £50m personally. Whether he’s worth that kind of money is a different conversation.
I think this is the crux of it. Market value maybe 30-40m but we’re talking about a guy who has been a huge part of saving us from relegation two years running and the amount that’s worth to us is enormous, his value to Everton is probably more in the 60m range. I suspect the gap between the two numbers means he stays with us (unless there’s a clause) but if someone wants to meet in the middle at 45ish there’s probably a decision to make.

You didn't really mention wages there, which - let's face it - is the modern footballer's primary motivation.
I think we can be competitive with most clubs on wages if we clear the headroom for it. I think wages are important of course, but if us, Brighton, and West Ham were all offering the same wages…..were would you think a player would choose? I think it’s less likely they choose us based on the factors I mentioned. I think the only time wages become an issue is if someone is paying disproportionately more

With Pickford it may be an early test for a new board.

Sell if we must, but absolutely not with our pants down.

If that were to happen, it wouldn't say much for any new overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back