Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet we're still just a few appearances removed from him being mobile enough to skin a notoriously mobile defender and score
Yes that was good but can he lead a line on his own? I saw flashes of something but I don't think so. He has promise the boy especially as a finisher but don't ever see it being more than upper Championship/lower EPL level he isn't very mobile I agree it's not fair to judge him on so few appearances in a team that doesn't create much, but the fact three managers haven't fancied him when we have been short up front says to me he isn't ready. Right now we need some more experience up there and if we need someone to come /emerge as a third choice and develop I think and I could be wrong Cannon might have more of a shot.

He's played 219 minutes

What's he supposed to do? Launch an overhead kick in from the bench?

How about start him in a few games that aren't 'expected losses' away
Thing is though Dyche is the kind of manager if you do it in training he gives you a go so we can only assume he wasn't. Ultimately he's 22, I think its time to move him on for a decent profit. We need two strikers who can deliver next year I am not convinced Simms can if we were in mid table maybe we could afford to keep him around as a squad player to develop but we aren't.

Might be an idea in the future to try and bring in players like this before they become established Premier League mainstays. Might want to jot that down on a post-it Kev.
Which is why Gyokeres isn’t that big a risk....gamble now and benefit later.

Yes that was good but can he lead a line on his own? I saw flashes of something but I don't think so. He has promise the boy especially as a finisher but don't ever see it being more than upper Championship/lower EPL level he isn't very mobile I agree it's not fair to judge him on so few appearances in a team that doesn't create much, but the fact three managers haven't fancied him when we have been short up front says to me he isn't ready. Right now we need some more experience up there and if we need someone to come /emerge as a third choice and develop I think and I could be wrong Cannon might have more of a shot.
One day we'll stop using the managers we all agree are crap as justification for something.

I'm not even really arguing for Simms as much as I'm arguing that we really should stop acting like this is something that is very certain. The guy got recalled from a loan in which he had a goal or assist every 125 minutes at age 21 in a reasonable league. We then proceeded to give him only two starts and 228 minutes total in which he did manage to score a decent enough goal. 130 of those minutes were in away trips to Anfield and Old Trafford in which we were completely overmatched. I don't understand how we're certain this player can't do it given this.

Everyone is basically leaning on the eye test but Ellis Simms has always failed the eye test. When he was scoring for fun in the u18s people said he couldn't step up to u23s FFS! He needs a proper chance is all. If it isn't with us so be it. But last year when DCL was out he should have been playing and you aren't going to be able to turn me on that one given the other options.

Thing is though Dyche is the kind of manager if you do it in training he gives you a go so we can only assume he wasn't. Ultimately he's 22, I think its time to move him on for a decent profit. We need two strikers who can deliver next year I am not convinced Simms can if we were in mid table maybe we could afford to keep him around as a squad player to develop but we aren't.
He picks his team and never waivers. That's going back to Burnley too. You aren't getting starts because you train well. Either you get in from the jump or you wait until someone is so shambolic that he has to make a move.

He picks his team and never waivers. That's going back to Burnley too. You aren't getting starts because you train well. Either you get in from the jump or you wait until someone is so shambolic that he has to make a move.
If he stays we will see what Dyche thinks of him in the early rounds of the cups and whether he gets starts there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back