Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why? So he can do OK, progress and then we can pay off the time we spent developing him by sending him back to City?
This might be the type of thing we have to do though unfortunately.

Taking players that keep us in the league this season and wait for the new ground, FFP restrictions to ease and then build from there.

One day we'll stop using the managers we all agree are crap as justification for something.

I'm not even really arguing for Simms as much as I'm arguing that we really should stop acting like this is something that is very certain. The guy got recalled from a loan in which he had a goal or assist every 125 minutes at age 21 in a reasonable league. We then proceeded to give him only two starts and 228 minutes total in which he did manage to score a decent enough goal. 130 of those minutes were in away trips to Anfield and Old Trafford in which we were completely overmatched. I don't understand how we're certain this player can't do it given this.

Everyone is basically leaning on the eye test but Ellis Simms has always failed the eye test. When he was scoring for fun in the u18s people said he couldn't step up to u23s FFS! He needs a proper chance is all. If it isn't with us so be it. But last year when DCL was out he should have been playing and you aren't going to be able to turn me on that one given the other options.
I don't disagree to an extent maybe he's just a goal scorer without the overall game required of this level yet, yes he should have got more starts but we don't know what goes on in training. He didn't look desperate when he came on bar a few moments for me. Re Dyche he played him at Anfield and Old Trafford I think he should have tried him at home to Fulham too but I just think the conclusion we can draw from the various managers who have looked at him, when we have had very few options up front is he isn't ready. If Dyche has favourites then they have to deliver I'm guessing or they get dropped. He may be good enough in the future and It's not his fault he's not ready for this level right now. Ultimately it's maybe unfortunate but we don't have the luxury of playing a 442 which is what he is better in by all accounts. We need a target man who is mobile and a wide forward with records to keep us up. We keep Simms as our rotation he won't develop either. He's much better going to a Championship club and developing if he is the goal scorer you say he is he will play in the PL, stick a percentage in there and sell. I am usually for developing youngsters but we need the dosh we are seemingly lacking cashflow so any saleable assets that aren't key to the first eleven can go if we get good bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back