Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of us have fairly modest expectations to begin with.
We'll make some signings, they may be cheap and late, we'll have to see who we end up with.

If they were desperately skint you'd imagine talk of Onana or Pickford going would be ramped up by now.

Bobble is trustworthy but Boyland is from The Arthritic. With him and O'Keeffe, its either no news or bad news when Everton are concerned,

If we're skint and end up with very little, then it won't be even worth bothering this season. I know MSP are investing primarily in the stadium but surely they can see the writing on the wall unless some of the money is spent on the team, together with whatever other pennies we can scrape together.

If not, then all that's gone before to keep us up last season and their investment has been a massive waste of everyone's time.
I keep seeing a lot of panic about the fact we didn't sign Coady for 4.5m, or that we're haggling hard for an extra million or two for Simms, or that we're considering taking a million here or there for guys like Lewis Warrington who are unlikely to feature for the firsts. People interpreting that as a sign we're totally skint.

Maybe we are, but each of those things are just things we should be doing anyway. We shouldn't pay 4.5m for a 30 year old CB the manager doesn't particularly like, we should rinse every penny out of sales, we should take decent sums of money for young players who aren't quite tracking to the first team, rather than have them walk for nothing when their contracts are up.

It's not penny pinching, a million pounds is a large amount of money and all these sums add up, and it's something we've lost track of down the years and I'm glad we're doing it now.

I reckon we’ll be on the cusp of singing toure this time next week. My bet is that he will be officially announced when this thread is on page 994, id love to hear your bets on what page we’ll get our first signing
page 865 - he rejects us and we start arguing the qualities of Weghorst again lol

I keep seeing a lot of panic about the fact we didn't sign Coady for 4.5m, or that we're haggling hard for an extra million or two for Simms, or that we're considering taking a million here or there for guys like Lewis Warrington who are unlikely to feature for the firsts. People interpreting that as a sign we're totally skint.

Maybe we are, but each of those things are just things we should be doing anyway. We shouldn't pay 4.5m for a 30 year old CB the manager doesn't particularly like, we should rinse every penny out of sales, we should take decent sums of money for young players who aren't quite tracking to the first team, rather than have them walk for nothing when their contracts are up.

It's not penny pinching, a million pounds is a large amount of money and all these sums add up, and it's something we've lost track of down the years and I'm glad we're doing it now.

Try writing it in crayon so they understand...

Brilliant post mate. Couldn't agree more. I think we are seen as a massive soft touch to deal with in the game or for others to dump their rubbish and get a good fee. We need to be seen as tougher and a lean run football club, rather then the foolish drunken sailor on shore leave vibes we've given off since 2016. if you look at say Chelsea they have built a club almost on their youth and academy prospects as a revenue stream - Spurs last week got 10 mill for Harry Winks who has barely kicked a football in two years - Tom Davies i suspect has played more.

To be very fair to Thelwell, hes shown young players of the profile of Onana and McNeill - that if you come to Everton, you are going to get a shot, play and improve your own profile and development. Its things like that you are going to the likes of Gnoto, Summerville or Toure with and saying this is a good move for you. That needs to be our position and we need more of that.

Last edited:

I know we all have varying opinions about how sourced these people are but the word out of Bobble, his co-host, Toffee TV and Paddy Boyland suggests we should not get excited about any of these links at all.

Sounds like we are completely and utterly skint. The way they are all talking, it wouldn't be worth holding out any hope at all for signings like Toure, Gnonto etc.

I noticed Toffee TV seemed to suggest that Rodrigo was close. Even if these people are fed lines from the club (not Toffee TV), it certainly sounds like Everton are getting excuses ready for another failed window.
The lads from ToffeeTv know as much as you and me mate....

That athletic article is sobering reading. Bit of a reality check. We basically are scrambling for loans and frees. Squad is threadbare already.

I think I’m right in saying we are permitted four loans, if come September we haven’t got four loan signings in, Thelwell hasn’t done his job. AGAIN.

Are we not signing anyone because we are legitimately broke and have no money ? Or because FFP still wont let us spend any money ?

Are we not signing anyone because we are legitimately poor and have no money ? Or because FFP is still an issue even though we have let high earners leave and spent peanuts ?

We're currently under investigation for breaching FFP and are trying to fund a £700m+ stadium. Moshiri and the club haven't a pot to piss in, hence them looking for external investment.

Make no mistake, this will be another rough season ahead.

We're currently under investigation for breaching FFP and are trying to fund a £700m+ stadium. Moshiri and the club haven't a pot to piss in, hence them looking for external investment.

Make no mistake, this will be another rough season ahead.

We started building a 700m stadium without funding secured ?

How the hell are we still unable to spend anything ? We’ve got rid of tons of players and spent peanuts for multiple transfer windows ? When does the FFP be reset ?

Its a constant moving target mate. It stops when the club stops making losses. We need to think of it less about net spend or players we sell and money we bring in and more what the club is loosing every year.

Take our last set of accounts, we sold Richarlison for £50 mill and we still posted a 45 mill loss. Without selling Richarlison we made a £95 mill loss.

That reset on the 1st of July 2022. So we needed to find funds to cover the next years losses i.e. Kean and Gordon. If their fees - about £75 mill covered our losses for 22/23 - we may have broken even and have some lee way (in my opinion).

Now as of 1st of July - we need to do something to cover this years losses, until gradually our overall losses come down. We want to be in a position that we are loosing £35 million a year - providing that money is coming into the club.

The lads from ToffeeTv know as much as you and me mate....
You could be right mate. Just commenting on the general theme of extreme doom and gloom. I do feel like the club are letting it be known that it's a difficult window (the classic 'bloodbath' phrase we keep hearing) and that we have no money, or can't spend until MSP are in the house.

Just feels like it's a ducks in a row job for several ready made excuses for failure to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back