Summer transfer window 2023

Gray I think is one we can jettison. We have Danjuma, McNeil, Harrison who naturally play in wide roles, dobbin & young for emergencies & garner for mega emergencies.

Gomes is on £110k a week. Is it better to try and get shut and hope Onyango improves? It’s a tricky one. He’s probably our most creating midfielder even at his 1/3rd pace.
We need 4 Senior players for the 2 wide positions- as a minimum.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I don’t think we can lose either. Certainly not Gray.
They are players you would move if you could replace them, Gray because the fee would be a good profit and Gomes because his wages vs output.

Both of these players have ability and have their moments and with our squad size as it is now, I would hope they are staying until the next window.

I think by and large Dutch players just do not suit the PL, the majority have struggled in this league but always seem to do well elsewhere. I think some of it comes from the fact that the whole "Total Football" thing was largely about using positioning and passing to show you don't need to run about like headless chickens all the time yet the first requirement in the PL for players is an almost athletics like fitness base due to the speed of the league. Good luck to him, he has always looked decent when I have seen him (apart from when he was here)

Gray I think is one we can jettison. We have Danjuma, McNeil, Harrison who naturally play in wide roles, dobbin & young for emergencies & garner for mega emergencies.

Gomes is on £110k a week. Is it better to try and get shut and hope Onyango improves? It’s a tricky one. He’s probably our most creating midfielder even at his 1/3rd pace.
There’s 20 minutes left in a game, whatever we are doing isn’t working, I would rather be bringing on Gray and Gomes than Onyango and Dobbin if I’m being honest

The latter two players would be better off getting experience on loan.

I think by and large Dutch players just do not suit the PL, the majority have struggled in this league but always seem to do well elsewhere. I think some of it comes from the fact that the whole "Total Football" thing was largely about using positioning and passing to show you don't need to run about like headless chickens all the time yet the first requirement in the PL for players is an almost athletics like fitness base due to the speed of the league. Good luck to him, he has always looked decent when I have seen him (apart from when he was here)
Yes I think most Dutch and Italian players don’t suit the PL, apart from one or two notable exceptions like Bergkamp, Overmars and Zola etc.

There’s 20 minutes left in a game, whatever we are doing isn’t working, I would rather be bringing on Gray and Gomes than Onyango and Dobbin if I’m being honest

The latter two players would be better off getting experience on loan.

I… agree kind of.

Selling 2 players for actual money who are out of contract at the end of the season and saving £135k a week is something we couldn’t turn down for the limited number of times this scenario appears in.

But from a purely footballing perspective I’d be more confident with Gomes coming on than Onyango.

For me Gray runs down blind alleys and loses the ball & dobbin does the same (right now) but at least he tracks back and there is a chance he developed out of the blind alleys.

The free agent list makes grim reading but I see Xeka is on it. Lad's had some terrible injuries, but I genuinely think it would be worth offering him a short-term deal.

Hasn't got much pace, but holds his position well, is tenacious and good on the ball. Was a big part of the Lille team that won the league a few seasons back.

We are absolutely mad as a club if we think this squad has enough to muddle through Xmas and AFCON, so need something.

That starts mid Jan 2014. Could do a deal prior to the window opening and isnt Gana the only 1 expected to be off?

1) We are not selling them 2 for £25m to Saudi

2) your “back of the fag packet” workings out is bordering on embarrassment

1: I agree. I never said we would lol

2: I think you mean the quoted fee for Gray and the rumoured fee in the media a fortnight ago for Gomes. Both available for you to search on the forum or online

You're welcome.

I… agree kind of.

Selling 2 players for actual money who are out of contract at the end of the season and saving £135k a week is something we couldn’t turn down for the limited number of times this scenario appears in.

But from a purely footballing perspective I’d be more confident with Gomes coming on than Onyango.

For me Gray runs down blind alleys and loses the ball & dobbin does the same (right now) but at least he tracks back and there is a chance he developed out of the blind alleys.
Gray has won us games in the past, on that basis he is the better option right now.

The business side of it is all fine but only matters if we get to use the advantages of selling.