Super Lee Carsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars is one of the best at what he does and he is a huge reason why we have and are doing so well at the moment! I think his biggest attribute is his experience he has really come on significantly in the past four years or so (ive been watching play since 96 being Irish), he seems to forever be on a yellow while i cant remember him being sent of to often. He was made for a five man midfeild hes simply one of the best midfeild sweepers around! Fact.

Where i think Cars becomes average is when he playes in a 4-4-2 formation, i think he simply doesnt have the legs anymore to go box to box. Having said that i dont think Cahill is as effective in a 4-4-2 either, so that says a lot.

Moyes has done well plyaing players to thier strengths and this is visable in Carsley, this thread doesnt surprise me in the sense i remember people calling for Carsleys head after his third game. Maybe if he had played for Ajax and Inter and was a former Dutch international he would be revered. But luckely for Cars football matches are won on the football pitch and not on you tube. I would think its a monumental error not to offer him a new contract at the end of the season. Having said that i would like not what i would call a replacement but "compitition"/"cover" for the Def Central Midfeild bearth.

And im not talking about the Vogels of this world. I really beleive that because a player has a foregin name people assume they must be good, ive seen him play hes crap.

I think as Cars comes to the end of his career, Moyes will finaly leave the 4-5-1 formation. Listening to his comments during the year he stated hes looking for players that will push to the next level which is Top 4/champions leauge. For me i think long term he is thinking 4-4-2 which is why i think we have two experienced strikers at the club and two juniors in V&V i.e. two starters and two replacemnts.

Last edited:
Lovin the support for Carsley Lads! Join my gay crusade to clear his name....

....or just keep saying good stuff about him

Heard it all now. He's ok, he's not better than Lescott, Arteta, Pienaar, or Yak.

You're quite right - I would rather be missing Carsley than either of the players you mentioned. Cars - as I think we all agree on - has been a good servant, remember it was only three seasons ago that everyone was screaming for Moyes to get rid of him as he had done nothing to warrant his stay at EFC. Then Rooney gets sold and suddenly we start playing better and Cars is one of the reasons that we are playing well. His situation is the same as Weir - great service, but getting to old and the club has moved on.

As others have said the key to regularly challenging for top spot in every major league is having a solid defense and a defensive midfielder who can break up play and turn it around with a killer pass. Attack starts with having someone take the ball and move it around and Cars is just not that player. The best in the world is IMO Pirlo of AC Milan, his workrate is second to none and his range of passes rival Ronaldinho. Unfortunately great defensive midfielders don't come around that offen which is why their price has rocketed in the last couple of years - just look at the fees for Hargreaves, Carrick, Essien and possibly Mascherano.

Maybe Fernandes is the answer otherwise IMO our best option is Stephen Appiah or Daniele de Rossi. But playing in the position and leaders on the pitch and just what we need. I would still keep Cars onboard as I believe he is one of the guys who makes sure that everyone works towards the same goals and that the squad is so tight-knit.

Cars should have his own chant.

I reckon the superman theme tune would go down well with his name over it.

Didn't like much of your post Great Dane tbh.

If Cars doesn't play, we will probably lose unless something amazing happens. Arteta, Lescott or whomever can be left out and we can replace them (as we have done). If Cars is left out, we suck and leak goals and possession all over the park and can't break up attacks so we sit in front of the goal mouth for 90 minutes.

Fernandes is not the answer at all. He can tackle, but he can't do what Carsley does, nobody else in our squad can.
Appiah is too lightweight to fill that role. Not sure about de Rossi.

If Cars was to go, we would need a hard tackling "I don't mind getting kicked in the face a few times a game" old school type of player.
I can't think that anyone else would really fit that mould other than a solid CB that you converted to that role. Someone like Dunne could do it, but he can't move as fast as Cars etc etc.

If Cars goes, we will struggle until we find a direct replacement for him or we only ever play 4-4-2 and are prepared to tackle like Vikings for the ball.

Didn't like much of your post Great Dane tbh.

If Cars doesn't play, we will probably lose unless something amazing happens. Arteta, Lescott or whomever can be left out and we can replace them (as we have done). If Cars is left out, we suck and leak goals and possession all over the park and can't break up attacks so we sit in front of the goal mouth for 90 minutes.

Fernandes is not the answer at all. He can tackle, but he can't do what Carsley does, nobody else in our squad can.
Appiah is too lightweight to fill that role. Not sure about de Rossi.

If Cars was to go, we would need a hard tackling "I don't mind getting kicked in the face a few times a game" old school type of player.
I can't think that anyone else would really fit that mould other than a solid CB that you converted to that role. Someone like Dunne could do it, but he can't move as fast as Cars etc etc.

If Cars goes, we will struggle until we find a direct replacement for him or we only ever play 4-4-2 and are prepared to tackle like Vikings for the ball.

Well it is mutual - I don't really agree with your post either ;)
Cars - the bulldozing midfield battler - is a dying race in football. To be a good and effective defensive/holding midfielder you don't need to be hard tackling and have a bully angle of play. You need to have pace and a range of passing that lets you get to the ball faster than the opposition and enable you to find your teammates in more ways than just the 10-15 yard flat pass that Cars is doing. Look at Pirlo or even Hargreaves, they rarely tackle but still get the ball and have a good range of passing that allows them to quickly turn the game around from defense to attack.

To say that Appiah is too lightweight is just plain silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back