Super Lee Carsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Pirlo or even Hargreaves, they rarely tackle but still get the ball and have a good range of passing that allows them to quickly turn the game around from defense to attack.

To say that Appiah is too lightweight is just plain silly.

Agree with everything you say Dane.

But Hargreaves tackles much more than on rare occasions.

Well I suppose it comes down to accepting mediocrity. Carsley is never going to win us silverware. He is the sort of player who can scrape us results, but I want more than that.

We got rid of Beattie because his level his not Premiership, we brought in Yak who is a world class finisher, and a top goalscorer.

Like it or not, and whatever you think about his style and deficiencies, Carsley is a good and effective Holding midfield player!

Doesn't every team need a Viera? Isnt it a bit like saying "we need a Ronaldo"?

Dont even get me started on the comparison to Vinny Jones what a load of tosh.

Carsley for me exemplifies the best of the Moyes regime - getting the best out of a squad that isnt full of superstar names and making sure that the whole is more than the sum of its parts. Carsley cant produce defence splitting passes but [Poor language removed] me he gives the other lads confidence and freedom to get forward knowing he'll cover their arses.

This is more like it a subject spanning 9 pages!

The comparison of Vinny Jones and Viera is very unfair. Carsley fits into our current team.

One of our biggest assets- Cahill, is no where near as effective without Cars. They go together like stockings and suspenders-fish and chips- pinky and perky. It just works. Without Cars in the team we do not operate the same way.

Now I agree he cannot go on forever but saying he needs replacing right now is wrong. I agree someone a bit younger and maybe with a bit more to his game acting as understudy if you will would be the ideal situation but I think that can wait until the summer and I hope its Appiah.

People need to appreciate that Cars does the job, gets ball, gives ball to the more skillful in the side.

Well, that's all well and good, but we need more than just that. I want a midfielder to drive the ball forward. Be ascertive and not just pass it on to someone else.

If we want to stay where we are then fine, but if we want to progress we need to improve that area of our play.

YES BUT WE ARE LOOKING TO MOVE FORWARD!!!!!!!!!

My god.

YES AND WE ARE MOVING FORWARD!

PROGRESS WILL BE A GRADUAL PROCESS UNDER MOYES AND THE CURRENT BOARD BECAUSE WE HAVE NO MONEY.

MOYES IS CLEARLY LOOKING TO SORT OUT A REPLACEMENT BUT SEEMS TO WANT TO SPEND THE MAJORITY OF HIS BUDGET ELSEWHERE

ERGO: DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD NOT A PRIORITY FOR US RIGHT NOW BECUASE CARS IS DOING A GOOD ENOUGH JOB

I will be very happy when Pirlo turns up at the goodison gates beggin Moyesy to sign him on a free. Until then I'm gonna stay in the real world

This is more like it a subject spanning 9 pages!

The comparison of Vinny Jones and Viera is very unfair. Carsley fits into our current team.

One of our biggest assets- Cahill, is no where near as effective without Cars. They go together like stockings and suspenders-fish and chips- pinky and perky. It just works. Without Cars in the team we do not operate the same way.

Now I agree he cannot go on forever but saying he needs replacing right now is wrong. I agree someone a bit younger and maybe with a bit more to his game acting as understudy if you will would be the ideal situation but I think that can wait until the summer and I hope its Appiah.

People need to appreciate that Cars does the job, gets ball, gives ball to the more skillful in the side.

Spot on

*feels blood pressure falling*

I heard a quote once (TX Bill, you'll appreciate this) from a retired top quarterback in american football (either Elway or Steve Young, I forget). He said "As you get older in this league, your perception of the action around you finally starts to slow down -- but the shame is that your legs slow down too..."

That's probably as good of an explanation for Cars as anything. He's not all that quick for sure, but he covers for it with anticipation of the play. I think he has another season of full time service in him and another couple years of bench support. It would be great to get a young type-A personality guy in here that can learn some tricks of the trade from Cars over the next year or two. I think def midfield is a position where you can actually learn from others instead of relying just on creativity.

YES AND WE ARE MOVING FORWARD!

PROGRESS WILL BE A GRADUAL PROCESS UNDER MOYES AND THE CURRENT BOARD BECAUSE WE HAVE NO MONEY.

MOYES IS CLEARLY LOOKING TO SORT OUT A REPLACEMENT BUT SEEMS TO WANT TO SPEND THE MAJORITY OF HIS BUDGET ELSEWHERE

ERGO: DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD NOT A PRIORITY FOR US RIGHT NOW BECUASE CARS IS DOING A GOOD ENOUGH JOB

I will be very happy when Pirlo turns up at the goodison gates beggin Moyesy to sign him on a free. Until then I'm gonna stay in the real world

So the players that we have bought recently are not in the real world? Yak £11m - AJ £8m - Baines £6m - We had money for Fernandes £11m I would like to think we are not going to be in for the likes of Kilbane any more.

How have I? I am trying to say that we should be looking to find players who match that quality in that position.

Yakubu is one of the best strikers in the Premiership, that is a fact. Is Carsley the best defensive midfielders in the premiership. Well I wouldn't think he is. He did great getting us where we are, but we need that jump in quality to take the team forward to the next level.

I agree with Ghost on this one. Carsley is a fine player and a nice fit. But we should be on a ceasless mission of moving forward. Cars may have a year or two of quality left, but we are also one injury away from mediocrity at defensive mid. I don't really have the stomach to see Jags or Neville at DM on a long-term basis.

I think it would be good business to build the squad to survive injury, suspension, etc by bringing in young, quality replacements. I read where Maduro is proposed on some threads. Who knows if he's the right player - that's why we have scouts. But Maduro fits the dossier. He is younger, pacier, and talented. Let a young player with some experience and upside come in, learn from Cars get molded by Moyes and have a long-range upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back