The £600mil+ spend narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine Mane was a realistic possibility - seeing as we just appointed his manager from the previous season. Obviously just wasn't as sexy a proposition as Gylfi Sigurdsson

Van Dijk or Funes Mori?

Andy Robertson?

Even Luis Diaz was (apparently) on the brink of signing for us last summer

We've just made horrendous decisions year after year - We had our chance to dine at the top table and we blew it

The sad fact is that all of the perpetrators of the decline are still in post at the club
Van Dijk and Mane when they went to Southampton yes, but that's a totally different argument. I'm talking about the point at which they went to Liverpool, because that's the only way a direct comparison on spending works. I'm as big an Everton fan as you'll ever meet, and I hate Liverpool as much as anybody, but if you honestly think that the players you're talking about would have chosen to come here ahead of going there you're living in cloud cuckoo land. They are a genuine global superpower, we aren't. We're not fishing in the same pond.

Weve been reading alot about how much money the club has spent under Moshiri and also how the playing squad has become worse under his ownership.

I've checked through a few sources for each incoming/outgoing and while will never be 'exact' i think we've spent £222.75mil as a net figure.

This works out at £37.125mil net spend per season.

Looking at our squad when Moshiri joined and now...you can see where the money has gone.

I dont think its as bad as it has been claimed.

2016/17

Incoming
Bolasie £25mil
Schneiderlin £20mil
Williams £12mil
Lookman £7.5mil
Gana £7.1mil
DCL £1.5mil

Outgoing
Stones £47.5mil
Gibson £2.25mil
Oviedo £1.8mil

Incoming total = £73.1mil
Outgoing total = 51.55mil

Net = £19.55mil

2017/18

Incoming
Sigurdsson £44mil
Keane £25mil
Pickford £25mil
Klaassen £23.6mil
Walcott £20mil
Tosun £18mil
Vlasic £8mil
Onyekuru £7mil

Outgoing
Lukaku £75mil
Barkley £15mil
Deulofeu £10mil
Cleverley £8mil
Lennon £1.5mil
Barry £1mil

Incoming Total = £170.6mil
Outgoing Total = £110.5mil

Net = £60.1mil

2018/19

Incoming
Richarlison £35mil
Mina £27mil
Digne £18mil

Outgoing
Klaassen £12mil
Funes Mori £8mil
Browning £4mil

Incoming Total = £80mil
Outgoing Total = £24mil

Net = £56mil

2019/20

Incoming
Iwobi £27mil
Kean £24mil
Gomes £22mil
Gbamin £22mil
Delph £8.5mil

Outgoing
Gana £28mil
Vlasic £20mil
Lookman £16mil
Onyekuru £12mil
McCarthy £3mil

Incoming Total = £103.5
Outgoing Total = £79mil

Net = £24.5mil

2020/21

Incoming
Godfrey £25mil
Allan £21mil
Doucoure £20mil

Outgoing
Schneiderlin £2mil
Dowell £2mil

Incoming Total = £66mil
Outgoing Total = £4mil

Net = £62mil

2021/22

Incoming
Mykolenko £17mil
Patterson £11mil
Gray £1.6mil

Outgoing
Digne £23mil
James £7mil
Bernard £1mil

Incoming Total = £29.6mil
Outgoing Total = £31mil

Net = £1.4mil

Under Moshiri

Incoming = £522.8mil
Outgoing = £300.05

Net = £222.75mil

2016/2017 Team

GK: Howard (37)
LB: Baines (31)
CB: Jagielka (33)
CB: Stones (22)
RB: Coleman (27)
CM: Barry (35)
AM: Barkley (22)
CM: McCarthy (25)
LF: Deulofeu (22)
CF: Lukaku (24)
RF: Mirallas (29)

Avg age = 27.9
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2016

Current Team

GK: Pickford (28)
LB: Mykolenko (22)
CB: Godfrey (24)
CB: Mina (27)
RB: Patterson (20)
CM: Allan (31)
AM: Iwobi (26)
CM: Doucoure (29)
LF: Richarlison (24)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (25)
RF: Gordon (21)

Avg age = 25.18
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2021
Creative accounting missed out the wage bill for all players .....

You can't compare our spend with Liverpool as they're shopping in a completely different arena to us. You can compare to Villa, who have spent the same NET in the last 3 years as we have since Moshiri came in. Nothing is said about their spending? In fact, given what they spent in Jan, i'm surprised noone is mentioning their terrible results?

Fulham spent £100m the season they were promoted. Brighton have also spent quite a bit. Until Moyes came in, West Ham were spending a decent wedge and still not very good.

An average of £40m is not a lot. Have we wasted money? Yeah no doubt. Is it as simple as the press make out? Nope.

I imagine Mane was a realistic possibility - seeing as we just appointed his manager from the previous season. Obviously just wasn't as sexy a proposition as Gylfi Sigurdsson

Van Dijk or Funes Mori?

Andy Robertson?

Even Luis Diaz was (apparently) on the brink of signing for us last summer

We've just made horrendous decisions year after year - We had our chance to dine at the top table and we blew it

The sad fact is that all of the perpetrators of the decline are still in post at the club

Could have gone for Tierney over Digne as well

Weve been reading alot about how much money the club has spent under Moshiri and also how the playing squad has become worse under his ownership.

I've checked through a few sources for each incoming/outgoing and while will never be 'exact' i think we've spent £222.75mil as a net figure.

This works out at £37.125mil net spend per season.

Looking at our squad when Moshiri joined and now...you can see where the money has gone.

I dont think its as bad as it has been claimed.

2016/17

Incoming
Bolasie £25mil
Schneiderlin £20mil
Williams £12mil
Lookman £7.5mil
Gana £7.1mil
DCL £1.5mil

Outgoing
Stones £47.5mil
Gibson £2.25mil
Oviedo £1.8mil

Incoming total = £73.1mil
Outgoing total = 51.55mil

Net = £19.55mil

2017/18

Incoming
Sigurdsson £44mil
Keane £25mil
Pickford £25mil
Klaassen £23.6mil
Walcott £20mil
Tosun £18mil
Vlasic £8mil
Onyekuru £7mil

Outgoing
Lukaku £75mil
Barkley £15mil
Deulofeu £10mil
Cleverley £8mil
Lennon £1.5mil
Barry £1mil

Incoming Total = £170.6mil
Outgoing Total = £110.5mil

Net = £60.1mil

2018/19

Incoming
Richarlison £35mil
Mina £27mil
Digne £18mil

Outgoing
Klaassen £12mil
Funes Mori £8mil
Browning £4mil

Incoming Total = £80mil
Outgoing Total = £24mil

Net = £56mil

2019/20

Incoming
Iwobi £27mil
Kean £24mil
Gomes £22mil
Gbamin £22mil
Delph £8.5mil

Outgoing
Gana £28mil
Vlasic £20mil
Lookman £16mil
Onyekuru £12mil
McCarthy £3mil

Incoming Total = £103.5
Outgoing Total = £79mil

Net = £24.5mil

2020/21

Incoming
Godfrey £25mil
Allan £21mil
Doucoure £20mil

Outgoing
Schneiderlin £2mil
Dowell £2mil

Incoming Total = £66mil
Outgoing Total = £4mil

Net = £62mil

2021/22

Incoming
Mykolenko £17mil
Patterson £11mil
Gray £1.6mil

Outgoing
Digne £23mil
James £7mil
Bernard £1mil

Incoming Total = £29.6mil
Outgoing Total = £31mil

Net = £1.4mil

Under Moshiri

Incoming = £522.8mil
Outgoing = £300.05

Net = £222.75mil

2016/2017 Team

GK: Howard (37)
LB: Baines (31)
CB: Jagielka (33)
CB: Stones (22)
RB: Coleman (27)
CM: Barry (35)
AM: Barkley (22)
CM: McCarthy (25)
LF: Deulofeu (22)
CF: Lukaku (24)
RF: Mirallas (29)

Avg age = 27.9
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2016

Current Team

GK: Pickford (28)
LB: Mykolenko (22)
CB: Godfrey (24)
CB: Mina (27)
RB: Patterson (20)
CM: Allan (31)
AM: Iwobi (26)
CM: Doucoure (29)
LF: Richarlison (24)
CF: Calvert-Lewin (25)
RF: Gordon (21)

Avg age = 25.18
Squad: https://www.transfermarkt.com/everton-fc/startseite/verein/29?saison_id=2021
That is a very good summary and averages 44m per season which is far from silly spending. However, it does not fit the media narrative and so will be ignored.

I would however point out that where we have performed badly is in the levels of wages we are paying to some of those signings.

I thought that Sky thing said it was 400m net? Any idea what’s causing the big difference?

I will say the average age thing can be a bit misleading - if you put in Coleman for Patterson, and understanding that keeper age is pretty different to anyone else, it suddenly doesn’t look so young

Sky are obnoxuous bell whiffs who are determined to run a narrative about how we are the worst ran club there's ever been. They openly label our players as divers and cheats, all because we share a postcode with the horse they've latched their bandwagon to

We have wasted the money nothing else to say but that with no plan or fixed style to play. With the new dof and hopefully more changes to come when can start making the right moves going forward

It's difficult to compare like that though because they've signed a number of players that were clearly good value but wouldn't entertain coming to us. We've overpaid for players because we haven't been able to attract the players we really wanted (Witsel and Mata spring to mind) and so have moved further down the list. Players like Salah, Thiago, and Mane didn't cost ridiculous amounts in the grand scheme of things but realistically they weren't available to us so the comparison doesn't work.
All true . I wouldn't mind if we had overpaid for quality players or youngsters with great potential.
Unfortunately we have done neither
We have just blown the lot on crap.
The only 2 that we could possibly turn a profit on are Pickford and and Richarlison
Of course we will see a profit on DCL but he pre dates Moshiri at Everton

Net spend is relevant because players that have been sold need to be replaced and as we’ve seen with other clubs, there’s no guarantees those players are going to work out…..
We’ve just been particularly bad at recruiting and then being able to recoup that outlay. - Not helped by the merry-go round of managers!

Is that you nick leason

Thats Leeson to you...

The bigger problem though, not taken into consideration by your financials (and granted isn't publicly available information) are the salaries of the players that were purchased which is what is so crippling. Spending money badly looks appalling for the waste of the opportunity, but what we see in terms of the legacy costs of those deals with 5 year contracts makes the case so much bleaker. This is the area that Moshiri and the director of football have failed catastrophically in: Wages.

We should only do heavily performance related contracts. If players want to earn big salaries, force them to be linked to the team's success. It is highlighted by the performance of Gordon. We have spent tens of millions on players to be star players and who have enormous contracts and they are shown up as a waste of space by a kid from the youth setup on a fraction of the wages. This is not possible under any competently led and professional outfit.

The spending is a scattergun approach with money spent on players who are simply never played. They sit on the bench (and some of them not even on the bench) wasting away because they're paid >£100k with no risks attached to their earnings (not even relegation). This is what is suffocating the club. I see no prospect of financing the stadium with these costs around our neck (despite what some say). No idea how the show is kept on the road if we go down except that it will force the club to confront this problem. It's why James had to go (£200k+ a week), Bernard (£150k), Digne (£120k a week) and why we can't shift Tosun etc.

We simply have to pay low wages going forward as a must. None of these contracts for the big earners should be extended. They simply have to go now. We are forced to do this if we want to be competitive again and to start a new long term plan (10 year) where we must produce all the players from the youth team with the odd dabble in the market for long-term prospects. We will have to sell star players (if we have any) to finance a lot going forward and it's going to be painful, but there is no way to quick fix anything and it ain't clear the club is even considering doing what is suggested. Relegation would have forced them to do it. Will survival? Is the manager up for the job that needs doing here? It is a huge project.
In essence, younger players have lower wages. Build a young team and add experienced players as the cherry on top.

Performance related pay wont work as players will simply go elsewhere and we wont be an attractive proposition.

If you want to use net spend to use mental gymnastics to paper over we spent over half a billion.

Moyes' net spend over 11 years is 5 million. Multiple top 5s. 6s. A top 4.

Even using that mental gymnastics it still embarrasses us tremendously.

I see Zats got a few whiffy rs bellends on the hook - they can’t resist a net spend conversation, as it is all they prattle on about.

Do one you rs mutants, we don’t need you preaching about money when you have broken transfer records
Left,right, and centre but act like you haven’t spent a penny, classless freaks.

In regards to us, whilst I have never trusted the sly sports and wider rs media narrative as they have a clear agenda to sensationalise and demean all things Everton, you can’t deny that we have made some monumental transfer mistakes, and have wasted so much money on absolute dross, under several managers and two dofs. Sickening.
I've responded and added in my crapometer values for ridiculous sums of money spent on crap.

Lots of mistakes of course.

However, if you look at the squad when Moshiri took over would you say that the current squad would be valued at more than £220mil above the 2016 squad?

Because, in theory thats the breakeven.

Status
Not open for further replies.