Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely interested in why voters would continue to vote Tory this time around after switching to them last time. What is it that they have done for one that makes one vote for them when you don't live in Alderley Edge like.

Haha. I just think it's strange that a powerful government is attractive, just so long as they're doing things you agree with. I'm not sure I can agree with that, and it surely doesn't give you any grounds to then complain when that same powerful state does things you don't agree with.

The state is doing all sorts of things I disagree with already, things much more troubling than taxation (really, have you seen citizenfour?). But does redistributing wealth more fairly mean that the state is de facto more powerful? I don't see the logic in that argument.

Also, you've already conceeded that the rise of the multinationals has had a significant effect on wealth redistribution away from the poorest towards the richest. As the century wears on, they will undoubtedly grow and grow in political power. Who would you rather was "in charge" - an elected government or some rapacious, boundary-straddling, unaccountable wealth-syphoning multinational?

Last edited:
Not sure we'll get a 2nd election, unless of course there is a successful vote of no confidence.

I think I'm right in thinking that this last government fixed it so that parliament is a fixed term of 5 years.

They did, but if a Government cant get their first budget through, there will be an election.

Dems de rulz.

Today's inequality briefing, just to illustrate how much worse things are for everyone but the rich these days:

06_700.gif

It'll be more now, of course, after 5 years of Tory rule.

It will be a mess, little doubt about, but I think Daveks mess is the most likely mess. Said so myself weeks ago.

I'd say a Tory and Lib Dem coalition is far more likely at this point. Even if the Lib Dems take a battering i still see them holding the 25 or so seats they would need to get the Tories over the line in that respect.

Today's inequality briefing, just to illustrate how much worse things are for everyone but the rich these days:

06_700.gif

It'll be more now, of course, after 5 years of Tory rule.

I know this a subject very close to your heart Clint.

But if you change the wording from "% of income taken" to "% of income earned", it looks a bit different.

I'd say a Tory and Lib Dem coalition is far more likely at this point. Even if the Lib Dems take a battering i still see them holding the 25 or so seats they would need to get the Tories over the line in that respect.
I'm not sure the Lib Dems will want to be seen as the Tories doormat, which is what they will become after five more years of the same.

I'm not sure the Lib Dems will want to be seen as the Tories doormat, which is what they will become after five more years of the same.
As long as the Lib Dem leadership are suitably rewarded by big business in a few years time, they're well happy to be the Tory enabling party

Scotland really has been a game changer this election. The usual block of 40+ Labour seats up there has been wiped out, it's amazing Labour are neck and neck still in the seat projections after losing such a big block of seats (Potentially).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back