Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
if you ignore the IMF + various other International organisations and only believe information coming out of to the Westminster Spin Machine.

They would be no worse off than Denmark and most of Scandinavia which isn't worse off at all.

Wasn't it widely exclaimed recently that the oil tax revenues are/will be only about 10% of what the Yes campaign claimed?

Every bit as dangerous for this country for many, as the SNP having a say for others. The LDs sold out 5 years ago. They had a sniff of power and got drunk on it. They abandoned their principles and sh*t on many many people who voted for them. They didn't even have the decency to make the Conservatives life difficult in the last 12 months or so by breaking up the coalition and fighting for what they genuinely believe in - a move that would have earned them a lot more support than they're going to get this time round. It's fairly obvious it doesn't matter to Clegg that his party is a mess or indeed who is in charge as long as he can be sat at the top table.
true Clegg will do anything to stay at the top table, not on his own a Lib was on tv yesterday and was asked given a choice of either joining a lab/or tory pact he said without missing a beat tory.
a lot of this election will be how there vote goes in seats were they are the first or second to the tory party, like in the south , if people desert them it gives the tory party about 11 extra seats down there.
If i were Labour and they came calling i would say bin Clegg before you even think about it

Wasn't it widely exclaimed recently that the oil tax revenues are/will be only about 10% of what the Yes campaign claimed?
nowhere near that low, and that was before the huge field off Shetland was announced. Cameron flew up there for a secret meeting with oil officials three weeks before the vote, the find (conveniently) wasn't made public until a week after the vote.

The SNP was also not claiming that the whe whole of the Scottish economy was based in Oil. Scotland's population is about on par with Denmark's but Scotland has a lot more natural resource (even discounting oil)
http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Business-Industry/Energy/Facts

true Clegg will do anything to stay at the top table, not on his own a Lib was on tv yesterday and was asked given a choice of either joining a lab/or tory pact he said without missing a beat tory.
a lot of this election will be how there vote goes in seats were they are the first or second to the tory party, like in the south , if people desert them it gives the tory party about 11 extra seats down there.
If i were Labour and they came calling i would say bin Clegg before you even think about it

Agreed. Hopefully the people of Sheffield Hallam will decapitate the Lib Dems and scupper the chances of a Liberal/Tory coalition.

Cameron is using them [SNP] as the bogey man, ........... ,

For once, I think Dave has it right. You cannot have a nationalist party holding the rest of the UK over a barrel as will happen if SNP enter into any sort of agreement with Labour to form a Government.
For an example, SNP are virulently anti Trident so will not agree to Defence spending plans until Labour abandon Trident. Ergo, troops don't get paid, weapons don't get up graded and UK gets royally rogered.

Sure Sturgeon is very good on TV and comes over as all sincere but then it's an easy card to play and I'm sure I could get up on a hustling and promise Jam today and Jam tomorrow.

No, the only sensible recourse is to VOTE LOONY.

Re the SNP and the claims they make in their manifesto about the NHS, it's worth remembering that England already spends 2% more of the state budget on health than the devolved Scottish government, whilst life expectancy in England is three years higher for men and two years higher for women.

What's more, this report from the Nuffield Health Trust suggests that despite the bluster around particular policies, there is actually very little indication that those policies are making much difference to patient outcomes.

http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/sit...r_countries_health_systems_summary_report.pdf

"Overall, this research suggests that despite hotly contested policy differences between the UK health systems since devolution on structure, competition, patient choice and the use of non-NHS providers, there is no evidence linking these policy differences to a matching divergence of performance, at least on the measures available across the four UK countries"

Meanwhile free tuition fees in Scotland have actually harmed the poorest.

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...tland-benefits-wealthiest-students-most-study

"The research by Lucy Hunter Blackburn, a former civil servant with the Scottish government, estimates that free university tuition and the cuts in grants to lower-earning students means middle-class families and students will be £20m a year better.

She estimates that the overall costs to lower-income families, including thousands of students at further education colleges, have gone up by at least £32m a year after the grant cuts forced them to take out larger loans.

"Free tuition in Scotland is the perfect middle-class, feel-good policy," Hunter Blackburn said. "It's superficially universal, but in fact it benefits the better-off most, and is funded by pushing the poorest students further and further into debt."

Populism must be harder than it appears to pull off.

For once, I think Dave has it right. You cannot have a nationalist party holding the rest of the UK over a barrel as will happen if SNP enter into any sort of agreement with Labour to form a Government.
For an example, SNP are virulently anti Trident so will not agree to Defence spending plans until Labour abandon Trident. Ergo, troops don't get paid, weapons don't get up graded and UK gets royally rogered.

Sure Sturgeon is very good on TV and comes over as all sincere but then it's an easy card to play and I'm sure I could get up on a hustling and promise Jam today and Jam tomorrow.

The SNP have set out their policies, prior to the election like with all parties they'll make a hardline stance on them. Clearly they have one eye on events post May 7th so anything they do now will be aimed are giving them as much bargaining power as possible. Will they make concessions after polling day? Of course they will.

My two bobs worth on trident is that they will agree to it being renewed but scaled down. So possibly just the 3 subs instead of the current 4 may be the route we take. Both sides come out of it ok and £20 billion saved.

The SNP want the Tories to win, and the Tories want the SNP to win, it's a marriage of convenience. If the SNP demolish Labour in Scotland, The Tories will form a government and get us out of Europe. If the Tories get into government the SNP can play on it, say the country is being removed from Europe against the will of the Scottish people, and play on how much the Scots hate the Tories, and Scotland will gain independence.

My two bobs worth on trident is that they will agree to it being renewed but scaled down. So possibly just the 3 subs instead of the current 4 may be the route we take. Both sides come out of it ok and £20 billion saved.

Not a chance will the SNP agree to that.

edit. The Tories might though.

The Tories will vote Trident through anyway, won't they, so talk of the SNP holding Labour to ransom over it is pretty much scaremongering, isn't it? Or have I misunderstood something?

Not a chance will the SNP agree to that.

edit. The Tories might though.

I think they will. It plugs the massive blackhole in their (SNP) manifesto budget and saves face. They can claim their influence has led to a reduction in trident - then they'll go on record and say their goal is to eventually scrap it altogether. Also worth pointing out the main base for the subs is in Scotland and it provides 100s of well skilled jobs so keeping it open is of benefit to the locals there.

The Tories will vote Trident through anyway, won't they, so talk of the SNP holding Labour to ransom over it is pretty much scaremongering, isn't it? Or have I misunderstood something?

Labour will need SNP support on almost every other issue in the House of Commons so pissing them off like that will also be pulling the rug from under their own feet. It would surely result in a vote of no confidence and another election.

Labour will need SNP support on almost every other issue in the House of Commons so pissing them off like that will also be pulling the rug from under their own feet. It would surely result in a vote of no confidence and another election.

Which would probably result in a Tory win. You think the SNP want that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back