Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're being a bit naive. If I wanted Scottish Independence who would I rather have in government. The Labour Party, who have a lot of support in Scotland and represent the general populus, or the Tories who everybody in Scotland hates, and who represent the wealthy few, and who have promised a referendum which may see Scotland leave the EU against it's will?

That's a myth surely? Must be the wealthy many if the map below is any indication.

2000px-2010UKElectionMap.svg.png

I think you're being a bit naive. If I wanted Scottish Independence who would I rather have in government. The Labour Party, who have a lot of support in Scotland and represent the general populus, or the Tories who everybody in Scotland hates, and who represent the wealthy few, and who have promised a referendum which may see Scotland leave the EU against it's will?
Labour don't have a great deal of support in Scotland anymore. They screwed that one up in the Referendum.
Not only were they duped into being the public face of an unpopular Government's No Campaign, it was Labour figures who promised a compromise to the few wavering voters (on behalf of the other parties/no campaign) which won them the vote (a compromise that was imediately reneged on the morning after the vote).

Labour then changed their leader to an ultra-Blarite that Miliband hates due to his pro-war, pro-Israei, pro- privatisation standpoint, who during the Referendum campaign called all Yes voters 'Scum' and Traitors' immediately nullify half of their potential vote. Even in this Campaign Jim Murphy has been coming out with all manner of election promises which Milliband is contradicting within hours.

Labour are seen as being as bigger hypocrites as the Lib Dems.

The Tories will try for a deal with UKIP (it's the old right of the Tory Party spun out and funded by Tory Party Grandees after all). The only way Labour can get back in is with the agreement of the SNP and that will mean caving in to a lot of their demands. The SNP won't deal with the Tories, it would end them.

I think I've outlined enough in this thread why they get my vote.

You most certainly have, in fact quite the cheerleader. Shame you can't embrace their complete and utter failings as well in order to provide a balanced debate. I have no problem with the personal choices of anyone when it comes to politics, people are and should be free to form their own opinions, express them and vote accordingly. However, i have no respect or trust in a person who only sings the praises of their chosen political party and ignores their failings, especially when there are so many and they have been so damaging.

Parents have the right to have as many children as they like, even if they know they cannot afford to support them without benefits, Ed Miliband has said.

....thinking about how bizarre image is, with Milliband and Cameron wheeling their wives out to gain a good impression and increase their vote. Not seeing Nicola Sturgeon having to bring her husband into the campaign.

You most certainly have, in fact quite the cheerleader. Shame you can't embrace their complete and utter failings as well in order to provide a balanced debate. I have no problem with the personal choices of anyone when it comes to politics, people are and should be free to form their own opinions, express them and vote accordingly. However, i have no respect or trust in a person who only sings the praises of their chosen political party and ignores their failings, especially when there are so many and they have been so damaging.

I'm not sure where to start with this hypocritical drivel. The term "Complete and utter failings" doesn't exactly help your argument and why on earth would anyone want to embrace failings? I say learn from them and move on.

I am as entitled to voice my opinion in this forum as anyone else. I'll stand my ground when confronted with my principles being challenged. I will back up my arguments with facts and I will fight for those I believe need me to fight for them. It is not my responsibility to provide a balanced argument. That's the job of people who disagree with me. If you don't feel that you can do that in a sensible manner, I ask that you please don't resort to petty arguments instead - contribute to the debate.

Until today I don't think anyone has asked me to point out the failings of the party my vote will be going to. Except that I won't be voting for a party. I'll be voting for an MP to represent me in parliament. I will probably be in touch with my MP more than the average person in the run up to this election and for the duration of the next parliament. I intend to find out as much as I can about how he (or she) intends to vote, or has voted on specific issues that concern me and my community. I will use my voice to lobby where necessary.

It really doesn't bother me that you have no respect or trust for me, as is your implication. If you'd read my contributions to this debate you would have noticed that I see politics in action all around me. For me, it is tangible on many levels. I would never pretend to understand it all, but I try my hardest to comprehend it where ever I can and I know that my judgments are well informed. I have never said that one party gets every decision on everything right. With the exception of UKIP I have also never said that one has got it completely wrong. I know how I would like our country to be viewed by its own citizens and on the world stage. I would like to see more moral judgements driving policy. I abhor the fact that our society is divided between the haves and the have nots and that in the 21st Century UK citizens are too poor to pay for food and shelter. I respect and trust myself. If your choice is to ignore the plight of the needy and the impoverished and you feel that you too can do the same, then feel free to carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back