Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but once the whistle blows what are they gonna do? Stand there and cry about how unfair it is and not even bother, then get hammered 15-0?

Or, despite the conditions they face not being fair they try to do the best they can, put 100% effort in and try to make the most of things and hopefully come away with a decent 3-3 draw?

As always in things political, seems to me that most people see things from their point of view and dismiss the other view. When in reality there are parts of both views that have credit.

It's not fair that 1 team has most of the advantages from the start and something should be done about it before the game starts. But once it does start the team with the disadvantage should do everything they can to overcome that disadvantage, unfair or not.
The reality is though that every time they score a goal the ref awards the other team 2.

Teachers encourage students to achieve to the highest possible level and to widen their horizons but the kids are not about to play on a level playing field and may well have backgrounds which mean the rules of the game are never explained. Isn't that what the previous zillion pages have been about?

Of course, and I should hope they would encourage them to be the very best they can be.

The reality is though that every time they score a goal the ref awards the other team 2.

Well not really, the analogy is for the social and financial inequalities in this country, that while unfair and heavily stacked in favour of 1 side (like the football game) you can still overcome that unfairness and do well if you try ( even if its unlikely and rarely happens).

If you concede 2 everytime you score one it's impossible to overcome those odds.

So you're telling kids they can be anything they want to be, even though on here you're quite clearly saying that isn't the case at all?

The reality of the situations my children find themselves in is much more nuanced and complex than you can ever imagine so to try to reduce it to an either/or is crass, to say the least. Rest assured, though - I never sell those kids short. Ever.

You've got a lovely way with words by the way. If it's not scum, vile or vermin, it's beneath your consideration.

Yes, you were putting words into my mouth last night, too.

Don't forget, it's the Tories that are supposed to be the nasty party.

There you go again!

Get a grip, will you. You're supposed to be a mod.

Well not really, the analogy is for the social and financial inequalities in this country, that while unfair and heavily stacked in favour of 1 side (like the football game) you can still overcome that unfairness and do well if you try ( even if its unlikely and rarely happens).

If you concede 2 everytime you score one it's impossible to overcome those odds.

Plus it's well known that Oxbridge (and possibly other universities) offer lower entry requirements to students from challenging backgrounds. They've done this for a number of years. Half the challenge seems to be convincing people from such backgrounds that Oxbridge is where they deserve to be. There's certainly no reason why they shouldn't go there.

The reality of the situations my children find themselves in is much more nuanced and complex than you can ever imagine so to try to reduce it to an either/or is crass, to say the least. Rest assured, though - I never sell those kids short. Ever.

Yes, you were putting words into my mouth last night, too.

And I have deleted that from my post in relation to you. I'm tired of such words being used to describe people who merely have a different opinion to the consensus on here. It isn't right.

I'm glad to hear your charges do feel they can reach for the stars, as no one should ever tell them differently. If you're talented and work hard then you can achieve whatever you want.

So you're telling kids they can be anything they want to be, even though on here you're quite clearly saying that isn't the case at all?

You've got a lovely way with words by the way.

That's not the point at all. Of course teachers will do everything they can to get the best out of their children. Of course teachers will encourage children to succeed in what they enjoy and to maximise their talents, however, there is a stark difference between me telling one of my pupils (who all come from deprived families with many complexities), that they can be anything they want to be, and a teacher in a leafy Oxfordshire suburb with no financial worries telling a child they can be anything they want to be. That child has a better chance of doing whatever they want to do. My children have many more difficult hurdles to clear before even thinking about what they want to be, never mind achieving it. That would never stop us as teachers in doing everything we can to support that child, but there is no doubt that their chances are slimmer.

Welcome to the world of thousands of people in this country.

The Conservatives will try anything to keep Scotland in the UK, be it being nice to the SNP, hating the SNP. Don't see how they're relevant here because they gave them their referendum and they lost it. The SNP won't do a deal with them because they know they won't get what they want in return - they will, however, with Labour,

URM sorry but which idiot gave them the right for a referendum without devo max in it was it not David Cameron - the same person who is now upset that as they might work one up him, by backing Labour in the next parliament!
A complete joke of a PM imo - Flashman of Eaton strikes again!

Plus it's well known that Oxbridge (and possibly other universities) offer lower entry requirements to students from challenging backgrounds. They've done this for a number of years. Half the challenge seems to be convincing people from such backgrounds that Oxbridge is where they deserve to be. There's certainly no reason why they shouldn't go there.
What? I think you'll find if you're rich you can pay to go no matter what your grades. Never heard of poor people with lower grades being accepted because they are poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back