The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gordon Brown alone cost Labour 500,000 votes at the last election. The big question now is whether these voters trust Labour's economic policy enough to come back into the fold.

....it was time for a change and cyclical governments makes for the right balance. My fear is that 5 years is enough of this lot.

Can you see Tory/LD + confidence and supply from DUP and UKIP standing the test of time (assuming it adds up to a governing majority)?

Dave, the figures don't add up for this unlikely alliance - they look likely to only muster 315 seats between them (source Guardian projection)

It will be interesting to see if Sinn Fein would take their seats to keep out a Tory government. If the Tories get in with the support of the DUP and possibly one Unionist Party MP Sinn Fein will be very worried about what Dave will give them.

Dave, the figures don't add up for this unlikely alliance - they look likely to only muster 315 seats between them (source Guardian projection)

If the seat projections stay the same as the ones you quote from then it's impossible, I agree. In fact, the rolling average of all forcasters have the Tories at 11 more than Labour, which would not be enough. The marginals dont look promising for them either, so it's difficult for them as things stand. I just wonder about the UKIP vote and how firm it'll stand when push comes to shove. They are the one party who have lost a lot in this campaign (I think they started it IIRC on about 17/18% and now they have 12/13% on average). Any more haemorrhaging of that support the Tories way could get them over the line with about 290 seats and then they look for the DUP (9 possibly 10); and LDs possibly mid-20s (latter two holding their noses getting over the line...possibly LDs get their way on welfare cuts/Tories get their way on EU referendum.

It's conceivable. It's the result I've predicted all along and it's still in play.

I must say, it's better for the progressive bloc at this point than I thought it would be.

Opinium/Guardian poll:

Conservative 35 +1
Labour 34 +1
Liberal Democrat 8 -1
UKIP 13
Green 5 -1
Other 5

Decent for LAB that as Opinium have been posting regular Tory leads throughout the campaign between 1% and 4%.

There's another two tonight: ComRes and YouGov.

It will be interesting to see if Sinn Fein would take their seats to keep out a Tory government. If the Tories get in with the support of the DUP and possibly one Unionist Party MP Sinn Fein will be very worried about what Dave will give them.

Sinn Fein taking an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors? And without that oath, they don't get to take their seats.

It's becoming increasingly clear that whatever government is formed will be very weak. It'll be an interesting few months.

Not a chance in hell.

Adams appeals to Unionist Voters
2 May, 2015 - by Gerry Adams TD

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams TD has appealed to unionist voters, especially working class and low and middle-income unionists, to “seriously consider voting for Sinn Féin in the election this week.”

Speaking in Dungannon today Gerry Adams said:

“The DUP, UUP and TUV are all conservative parties. They find it very difficult to oppose austerity. The English Tories plan £12 billion more cuts. The Labour Party has also committed to more cuts. The affect of this on families and on our local economy and public services will be enormous.

“According to media reports child benefit and child tax credits will be significantly cut under the Conservatives.

“The Tory plans will mean limiting child benefit to two children; cutting £3,500 annually from a family with three children.

“The Tories plan to remove the higher rate of child benefit for the first child; means test child benefit, cutting £1,750 from the budget of a two-child family; and remove child benefit from 16 to 19 year-olds – a cut of over £1,000 for parents of a single child.

“The impact of these and other cuts to the welfare system will have a hugely damaging impact on the vast majority of citizens in the north but especially on working class and low and middle-income families whether they are nationalist or unionist.

“Voting unionist makes no sense for those who cannot afford these cuts.

“On Thursday I would appeal to unionist voters to reflect on the fact that the unionist parties do not represent their economic interests.

“I would ask unionist voters to consider voting Sinn Féin and join with us in opposing the planned cuts to public services, including health and education; all of which will hurt the unemployed, the sick, people with disabilties and the elderly; and those on low and middle incomes.

“Sinn Fein is committed to a People’s Pact, to defending jobs and public services and investing in our economy. To achieve this we need to secure the largest vote possible in this election.

“I am asking the people to give us that mandate.”

End

-----------

The message there from Sinn Fein is - we won't be taking up our seats but the more seats we win the harder it is for Cameron to form a government. It will never happen in a million years but could you imagine the uproar if the Sinn Fein MPs took up their seats to vote down a Conservative/UKIP/DUP Queens Speech. Even a threat to potentially do this would force Cameron to drop a DUP alliance for fear of reopening old wounds in N.Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back