Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were allowed to build it but due to construction cost inflation driven by the Far East economies at the time, chose to wait until next year and save the club multi millions. These people are genius's Dave and you should be glad.

Phew, that was close then. Well done Mr Elstone. Everton just suffered the cost of that wall they dragged down and built up again then.

He's one of the better ones for not making Everton play in red and for not calling us Everton Rovers.

Yeah. Well done Bill. Great effort over 14 years. You've really made an impact there lad.

Apologies if I've missed something on the intervening few pages but I think you're being too hard there Dave.

For me a chairman/owner needs to do 4 things:

1. Pick a good manager. The chances of doing this are increased if the chairman/club have a good media profile

2. Give the manager a chance to do the job and not get in the way. Give him time and support and not undermine him and/or become a news item in yourself with bulbish comments

In today's mad world of premier league football if you can tick the above two boxes then you have a good chance of being competitive in the league as so many of the other clubs are run by lunatics

I accept that #1 and #2 can only take you so far. To really progress as a club you need:

3. Cash investment for new players. Whether through the existing board or by bringing in new owners

4. Developing the club's infrastructure in terms of commercial activities, a stadium and training facilities

Clearly now Kenwright has failed on #3 and Finch Farm apart has failed on #4

Dave - Kenwright clearly hasnt been the total failure you make him out to be. Like it or not the Premier League is a global brand as opposed to a bricks and mortar business. We are at the top end of that league and have been for most of the last decade.

I know the history of the club as well as you do. I know how far we've fallen. Martinez's recent brand of attacking play hit home to me that I hadn't seen anything other than relative dross as an adult before he arrived. I have the photos and memories from Goodison and Wembley in the mid-80s but that's all.

I think if fans could be more honest in their assessment of Kenwright a pressure group like the Blue Union would be a lot more successful. Evertonians are born not made etc and the idea of turning on one of our own whilst the team is relatively competitive just isn't going to happen. It has to be constructive engagement.

I personally was dead against Kirkby. With all my heart I hated the idea of going to a fairly non-descript stadium in the arse end of Merseyside. However, the economics of the city mean that a supermarket inspired development is one of the very few that could have been financially viable.

As it stands now I'm glad we didn't go to Kirkby. Instead we seem set on a high risk strategy or carrying on and making do with the old girl Goodison until she falls apart in the feint hope that someone in some corner of the globe spots the anomaly in the top tier of the Premier League and fancies "a project".

I'd love there to be a viable Plan B but I'm screwed if I can spell it out in today's world.

If EFC had been funding the build themselves there'd have been no issue whatsoever with the funder of the long term loan

It was the commercial partners that chose not to proceed - the end

The Prudential pulled the plug on it.

So, back to the question I posed: if Everton aren't fully in control of their own *house* but aren't tenants - what description would you continue to give them until the year 2027?

The Prudential pulled the plug on it.

So, back to the question I posed: if Everton aren't fully in control of their own *house* but aren't tenants - what description would you continue to give them until the year 2027?

Dave do you know if the Prudential bond/mortgage is based on repayments or "interest only"? I've heard different views.

Apologies if I've missed something on the intervening few pages but I think you're being too hard there Dave.

For me a chairman/owner needs to do 4 things:

1. Pick a good manager. The chances of doing this are increased if the chairman/club have a good media profile

2. Give the manager a chance to do the job and not get in the way. Give him time and support and not undermine him and/or become a news item in yourself with bulbish comments

In today's mad world of premier league football if you can tick the above two boxes then you have a good chance of being competitive in the league as so many of the other clubs are run by lunatics

I accept that #1 and #2 can only take you so far. To really progress as a club you need:

3. Cash investment for new players. Whether through the existing board or by bringing in new owners

4. Developing the club's infrastructure in terms of commercial activities, a stadium and training facilities

Clearly now Kenwright has failed on #3 and Finch Farm apart has failed on #4

Dave - Kenwright clearly hasnt been the total failure you make him out to be. Like it or not the Premier League is a global brand as opposed to a bricks and mortar business. We are at the top end of that league and have been for most of the last decade.

I know the history of the club as well as you do. I know how far we've fallen. Martinez's recent brand of attacking play hit home to me that I hadn't seen anything other than relative dross as an adult before he arrived. I have the photos and memories from Goodison and Wembley in the mid-80s but that's all.

I think if fans could be more honest in their assessment of Kenwright a pressure group like the Blue Union would be a lot more successful. Evertonians are born not made etc and the idea of turning on one of our own whilst the team is relatively competitive just isn't going to happen. It has to be constructive engagement.

I personally was dead against Kirkby. With all my heart I hated the idea of going to a fairly non-descript stadium in the arse end of Merseyside. However, the economics of the city mean that a supermarket inspired development is one of the very few that could have been financially viable.

As it stands now I'm glad we didn't go to Kirkby. Instead we seem set on a high risk strategy or carrying on and making do with the old girl Goodison until she falls apart in the feint hope that someone in some corner of the globe spots the anomaly in the top tier of the Premier League and fancies "a project".

I'd love there to be a viable Plan B but I'm screwed if I can spell it out in today's world.

You're asking me to be balanced when I already am being that. The good things you identify are all the result of the managers' work and despite the failure to back them financially. The managers chosen have not been left alone to do their job as you well know. Moyes and now Martinez were/are straitjacketed by the financial restrictions of Kenwright et al and their insistence on not investing or finding new owners.

There's no crude analysis going on here. By every real measure you judge chairmen by he's failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back