Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're asking me to be balanced when I already am being that. The good things you identify are all the result of the managers' work and despite the failure to back them financially. The managers chosen have not been left alone to do their job as you well know. Moyes and now Martinez were/are straitjacketed by the financial restrictions of Kenwright et al and their insistence on not investing or finding new owners.

There's no crude analysis going on here. By every real measure you judge chairmen by he's failed.

I think you are confusing matters.

Kenwright doesn't have the cash nor has be brought any new investment into the club. That's a fact and you either dam him for good on that basis or you move on to look at other elements of being a good chairman/owner.

To dam him from the off for not putting the cash in implies that without cash the club will fail and/or not succeed.

I think the last decade has shown that the club can be competitive at least without a major cash injection. Give a good manager your full backing and let him get on with it is a good formula.

Look at Spurs. Giving AVB that £120m to spend and the sacking him halfway through will I think see a good half of that cash written off when a new manager comes in and wants his own players and style of play. Likewise with Redknapp before him. By changing managers so quickly the real level of investment is eroded massively with all the churn of new players and different styles.

Of course we have not been able to compete with the Chelsea/city/united millions and I accept that a top-6 is not enough for a club of Everton's history but a stable chairman has allowed us to improve since the Walter years.

To be clear I want to see a new owner and/ or new investors come in. I want the club to kick on.

Of course Kenwright scores very badly on the two aspects of bringing cash in and building an infrastructure. But there are some positives from having him running the club. That's all I'm trying to say.

You appear to have missed our near negative spend over 11 years, at a time when TV income has rocketed. And when there's not much net spend next summer you'll have forgotten these posts you've been making and will be posting crap again.

Backtracking are we?

Put the car in reverse mate.

You're the only one posting crap. That was shown in what you said.

Good start to the season on the field, excellent football on the field, and everything off the field is forgiven. Have you noticed that Martinez doesn't intend spending big in January lads ? Guess he's saving it for the summer. Must be great to be sitting on an ever increasing stash of money. Bill's a genius.

I posted references unlike you. That shows you're talking crap.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/28/everton-leighton-baines-roberto-martinez

I think you are confusing matters.

Kenwright doesn't have the cash nor has be brought any new investment into the club. That's a fact and you either dam him for good on that basis or you move on to look at other elements of being a good chairman/owner.

To dam him from the off for not putting the cash in implies that without cash the club will fail and/or not succeed.

I think the last decade has shown that the club can be competitive at least without a major cash injection. Give a good manager your full backing and let him get on with it is a good formula.

Look at Spurs. Giving AVB that £120m to spend and the sacking him halfway through will I think see a good half of that cash written off when a new manager comes in and wants his own players and style of play. Likewise with Redknapp before him. By changing managers so quickly the real level of investment is eroded massively with all the churn of new players and different styles.

Of course we have not been able to compete with the Chelsea/city/united millions and I accept that a top-6 is not enough for a club of Everton's history but a stable chairman has allowed us to improve since the Walter years.

To be clear I want to see a new owner and/ or new investors come in. I want the club to kick on.

Of course Kenwright scores very badly on the two aspects of bringing cash in and building an infrastructure. But there are some positives from having him running the club. That's all I'm trying to say.

...not only does he not put cash in, he's saddled the club with other men who wont put cash in, wont allow supporters to buy into the club, has failed to grow the club organically without the aid of tv money, has overseen transfer budgets funded almost entirely by player sales, and not moved the club on by solving the stadium issue...in fact, he's overseen the further erosion of Goodison Park and wasted upwards of 5 million on the KD and DK fiascos.

Three days until the 14th anniversary of his takeover. His achievements are zero and he's loaded the club with more debt and the loss of assets in that time elapsed since 1999.

An utter disaster befell Everton 14 Christmas's ago.

...An utter disaster befell Everton 14 Christmas's ago.

See Dave you're just being a drama queen and playing to the galleries there.

It's not been an utter disaster. Footy is now a global entertainment business. Our product and our brand is (relatively) successful and attractive. TV income dwarves anything else and we're in a good position as it stands.

Debt levels are one variable but who at Goodison on a match day would want to see Barkley sold to reduce the debt?

Kings Dock was a disaster no doubts whilst Kirkby was a fiasco but £5m is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. £5m is one less probably crap 30 something year-old striker from Wigan.

Not being able or willing to put in the cash is definitely a failure of any chairman but there are other elements to the job. That's all I'm saying.

...not only does he not put cash in, he's saddled the club with other men who wont put cash in, wont allow supporters to buy into the club, has failed to grow the club organically without the aid of tv money, has overseen transfer budgets funded almost entirely by player sales, and not moved the club on by solving the stadium issue...in fact, he's overseen the further erosion of Goodison Park and wasted upwards of 5 million on the KD and DK fiascos.

Three days until the 14th anniversary of his takeover. His achievements are zero and he's loaded the club with more debt and the loss of assets in that time elapsed since 1999.

An utter disaster befell Everton 14 Christmas's ago.

Your expectations of what he can do with such materials is just nuts. If you had told somebody ten years ago, 'right, I want you to take over Everton, and compete with your neighbours every season on an even footing, even though you haven't got any money, and they are going to be the biggest spenders in the league' they'd say you ewe being ridiculous. But we've actually finished above them, and you think he can't run a piss up in a brewery? This guy is a smart operator, so Kings Dock didn't get off the ground, disappointing of course but time to move fking on!

I think because no one really takes him seriously. Have to say,howver, that some of the comments from assorted members of the diminishing usual suspects platoon border on libel.

Negative use of hyperbolic language at best, libel at worst...agreed.

I take Davek deadly seriously

I don't get why, as your reasonable balanced post after this one suggests you don't agree with anything he says.

Because people know it's on the money.

You're asking me to be balanced when I already am being that.

utterly delusional.

The whole thread reveals interesting things about football identity and what it means (and what it doesn't mean). It means that for some, following a business as if it was a football team is just as valid as following the actual football team.

There is a discusssion to be had about the business side of things, but I just can't take this thread seriously. The hyperbole kills it dead as it reveals an intense agenda which colours any possible argument.

The case davek painfully tries to make post after thousands of posts fails on a business level by not understanding how a business actually works, and it fails on a football level by not offering support of his supposed club.

So we're just left with his agenda.

Pity Jesus Christ isn't looking to buy a Club, he seems the only one suitable .

This is the thing. As Dell Boy said earlier, we can have our idea of a perfect chairman, and we can compare this idea with the reality of Kenwright.

The reality is, apart from lack of megariches, Kenwright is a relatively good chairman for our club.

Backtracking are we?

Put the car in reverse mate.

You're the only one posting crap. That was shown in what you said.

I posted references unlike you. That shows you're talking crap.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/28/everton-leighton-baines-roberto-martinez

No backtracking mate. Do you not find it a little strange there's been a near enough nil net spend over 11 plus years ? Kenwright providing bucketfuls of money but two successive managers electing to save it for a rainy day say in twenty or so years years time. You'd have to be mental to believe that.

It's not even "near enough" a nil net spend - it's actually a negative net spend.

Massive incompetencies such as the annex, Kings Dock, DK etc. etc. are papered over by the shrewed wheeler dealing of David Moyes, and continued by Martinez this season - the only credit you can give Kenwright is his manager selection ability - but the glaring cracks still remain at the club.

We've got lucky for a decade, and I just hope we continue to get lucky, as we're only one or two poor seasons away from the wage bill tumbling and Everton going into freefall. If that happens, people will look back and finally realise just how bad this charlatan has been for the club. But let's pray it never happens.

It's not even "near enough" a nil net spend - it's actually a negative net spend.

Massive incompetencies such as the annex, Kings Dock, DK etc. etc. are papered over by the shrewed wheeler dealing of David Moyes, and continued by Martinez this season - the only credit you can give Kenwright is his manager selection ability - but the glaring cracks still remain at the club.

I agree that our lack of spending is a concern. But on the other hand, it does ensure us stability, however cautious it may seem. Arsenal have been just as frugal (up until Özil), but they have a futureproof new stadium in a capital city selling tickets at twice what Goodison costs, while holding double the capacity.

Personally, I'm gonna hang tight and wait to see what the next two transfer windows bring to the club. If Kenwright fails to back his man, if the squad becomes weaker rather than stronger, then let's all lay into him.

But why lay into him now? He authorised the spending of the Fellaini money (something the Glazers never did with the Ronaldo money). Almost without exception he's allowed the sales from transfers to be used to fund new players.

He's not megarich enough to plough his own money into the transfer kitty, and he's unable to get the co-owners to cough up, but that doesn't make him a "charlatan".

You could just rerun a couple of posts from some people over and over again here. It's like ITV Christmas TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back