Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have accepted what you say, what more do you want.

Your confirmation or otherwise that you are qualified to make the statements you have made. This is not a malicious request...in the area of 'football accountancy', and other football club matters, many posters on forums make statements about the law, accounts, transfer fees, injuries, etc which they suggest are correct, but when someone comes along who is prepared to state their proof of competence, they are believable without much question.

I think the only difference is with this board we have.

I am of the opinion that the board is holding the club back and we will never get back to the top of English football with this crowd.

Our business hasnt grown now for probably five years despite all the money thats swishing about. We need hard nosed businessmen in control with a strong feel for English football.

I like opinions when formulated like this. So much better than being all emotive and calling Kenwright all kinds of horrible names.

I agree that the board are holding us back by not being able to keep up financially with our peers. Solving this problem is tricky, as we know.

What would your solution be?

I like opinions when formulated like this. So much better than being all emotive and calling Kenwright all kinds of horrible names.

I agree that the board are holding us back by not being able to keep up financially with our peers. Solving this problem is tricky, as we know.

I realise this question isn't directed at me, but my solution would be to hire a businessman who knows what he's doing.

I'm an electrician, that's not me.

I wasn't happy with Moyes and thought we could do better with another manager and there was lots of people criticising me for wanting him out and not having a clear plan to replace him. All I said is I didn't think he was getting all he could out of our players and another manager could do better, I couldn't, but another football man could. And while it's early days I think that's been proven true.

It's the same with the financial side, we're not making enough money. In terms of finances most of the league are bringing in more money in sponsorship, merchandise sails etc etc. And like with Moyes, I'm not having the excuses about the resources. If our current staff aren't good enough we can bring in someone who's better, who knows their business and can work out how to improve.

I would have hoped the last 5 months will have cured evertonians of their reluctance to change things up.

I wasn't happy with Moyes and thought we could do better with another manager and there was lots of people criticising me for wanting him out and not having a clear plan to replace him. All I said is I didn't think he was getting all he could out of our players and another manager could do better, I couldn't, but another football man could. And while it's early days I think that's been proven true.

It's the same with the financial side, we're not making enough money. In terms of finances most of the league are bringing in more money in sponsorship, merchandise sails etc etc. And like with Moyes, I'm not having the excuses about the resources. If our current staff aren't good enough we can bring in someone who's better, who knows their business and can work out how to improve.

Nice post, mate. Again, there's not much I disagree with there. The bee in the bonnet I have is the hate that gets spread, leaving no room for reason.

I would have hoped the last 5 months will have cured evertonians of their reluctance to change things up.

While I've been calling for Moyes to be replaced since the Reading defeat in 2011, I'm not quite ready to call for Kenwright's head yet. I'd like him to prove his worth to us in the next two transfer windows with the new manager at the helm. If after the summer window we don't sense Bill is improving us, I'll more happily join the chorus asking for change.

If Kenwright is genuine in his aim to sell the club then he has to target the price in such a way as to get buyers, note plural, so a choice can be made.

Setting the price at £150 million is around asking for about £4300 per share. Thats 3.6 times the value of a share this last summer. You wont get any buyers at that price.

If Kenwright is genuine in his aim to sell the club then he has to target the price in such a way as to get buyers, note plural, so a choice can be made.

Setting the price at £150 million is around asking for about £4300 per share. Thats 3.6 times the value of a share this last summer. You wont get any buyers at that price.

So the solution would be to reduce the share price, thereby reducing the controlling stake one would need to buy-out Kenwright's control.

Is this feasible in a business sense? Is there precedent for a relatively successful club like Everton to reduce their sale price in order to attract attention from hard-nosed buyers?

Seems a bit far-fetched, but there is a case Everton is overpriced, considering the issues with Goodison.

So the solution would be to reduce the share price, thereby reducing the controlling stake one would need to buy-out Kenwright's control.

Is this feasible in a business sense? Is there precedent for a relatively successful club like Everton to reduce their sale price in order to attract attention from hard-nosed buyers?

Seems a bit far-fetched, but there is a case Everton is overpriced, considering the issues with Goodison.

Proof of how successful we are to the outside world is that we havent been bought despite it being on the market since 1999 (source - last AGM when Kenwright told everyone that he realised from day one he couldnt put money into the club and as such the club was for sale).

The club is overpriced.

Your confirmation or otherwise that you are qualified to make the statements you have made. This is not a malicious request...in the area of 'football accountancy', and other football club matters, many posters on forums make statements about the law, accounts, transfer fees, injuries, etc which they suggest are correct, but when someone comes along who is prepared to state their proof of competence, they are believable without much question.

Okay Steve I am trained in accountancy not that matters what I related to you was just commonsens. Howevr I will put it in more simple terms.

You and your wife own a busines and you each own half of the 100 shares. The business needs the factory to be updated, new machinery and take on more employees but there is a debt against the business of a substantial amount. Steve who is liable for that debt the business or the shareholders (you and wife)?

You and your wife sell the shares to a new owner who now owns the business, where are the proceeds of the share sale banked in your joint accounts or the business bank account.

What does the new owner have to do in respect of the business and where is any capital required going to come from?

Now as for Bluesnapper who owns shares in Jet2? and has not had regular divis. Well my wife and I upto about 6 years ago had quite a lot of shares in various companies all publicly listed and received divis twice a year every year they were held. We sold them because we wanted the cash in our bank.

That is my last wod on the subject if you cannot follow that then I don't know how to make it clearer. It is nothing to do with it being a football club per se, the football club is a business so where i have put business above read football club.

Last edited:
Posting this because it is interesting, given that many people were clamoring to see the Zingarevich family invest in Everton about 10 years ago, only for it all to fall through. Anton Zingarevich went on to buy Reading last season....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25492085

Reading: Sir John Madejski says club close to new investment - December 23rd, 2013

Reading chairman Sir John Madejski says the club are close to finding new investors, which could lead to majority owner Anton Zingarevich selling up.

Zingarevich has not been seen at a game since 17 August and formal talks which could lead to a sale have been going on for several weeks with new investors.
"Anton is still the owner of the club as such - per se," Madejski told BBC Radio Berkshire.
"I think every club is always looking for that eventuality [new investment] and we at Reading are no different.
"We are confident about the future and we are looking forward to going into the future at that level - so we are singing off the same hymn sheet.
"We are always looking for potential new investors and that never stops, no matter who the owner of the club is. We are making very good progress with that."
Russian businessman Zingarevich bought 51% of the club in May 2012 and was set to purchase the remaining 49% of shares from Madejski in September but failed to complete the deal.

Madejski admitted he did not know when Zingarevich would return to Reading but said he was not concerned about their future involvement.
"He has a great affection for the club but I do not know when he will be back to be honest," he added.
"I am not concerned about the Zingarevich family. They support Reading and will continue to do so in the future."
The Berkshire businessman also added that funds would be available to the manager Nigel Adkins in January, but said it would be a "combination" of his and Zingarevich's money.
Adkins himself said he was unconcerned about the uncertainty surrounding the future ownership of the club and was fully focused on steering Reading to promotion this season.
"What will transpire will transpire," Adkins told BBC South Today.

"Whatever happens at the football club, around the football club, will take care of itself."
Since the Russian became involved with the club in January 2012, Reading have been promoted to the Premier League, relegated back to the Championship and have also changed their manager.
Promotion to the top flight in 2012 earned the Royals an estimated £90m, with half that money coming from television-related revenue.
However, the club were relatively frugal when strengthening the squad for the Premier League.
In total, they spent less than £10m in attempting to cement their status, with the £2.4m purchase of Adrian Mariappa from Watford their biggest outlay.
Relegation last season meant the club missed out on the new £5bn global television deal, which would have earned them upwards of £100m, but Reading will still receive in excess of £60m over a four-year period in parachute payments.

Bullet. Dodged. Again.

o the club
Okay Steve I am trained in accountancy not that matters what I related to you was just commonsens. Howevr I will put it in more simple terms.

You and your wife own a busines and you each own half of the 100 shares. The business needs the factory to be updated, new machinery and take on more employees but there is a debt against the business of a substantial amount. Steve who is liable for that debt the business or the shareholders (you and wife)?

You and your wife sell the shares to a new owner who now owns the business, where are the proceeds of the share sale banked in your joint accounts or the business bank account.

What does the new owner have to do in respect of the business and where is any capital required going to come from?

Now as for Bluesnapper who owns shares in Jet2? and has not had regular divis. Well my wife and I upto about 6 years ago had quite a lot of shares in various companies all publicly listed and received divis twice a year every year they were held. We sold them because we wanted the cash in our bank.

That is my last wod on the subject if you cannot follow that then I don't know how to make it clearer. It is nothing to do with it being a football club per se, the football club is a business so where i have put business above read football club.

Its a bit facile to use basic business sense when talking about the business of football...were inflation runs at around 4 times the national average. If a shareholder sells shares, he gets the money, obviously.But before the sale it will be decided whether the new owner(s) will carry or clear the debt, or whether the selling shareholder will clear the debt from his income from the sale.It would then be down to the new owner to find additional investment, either from income(unlikely at present apart from new TV money), by way of personal and hopefully cheap loans from his/her/their own capital, or by way of loans from others, banks etc. So whatever the shares cost, considerably more money would need to be found by the buyer to avoid nothing more than the staus quo.In fact the most probable scenario is that a new owner would expect to borrow more than the current debt in order to move the club forward.

As for Zingarevich at Reading, it was Bill who dredged him up along with the 'fortress sports fund'. Bill said he had an 'encyclopedic knowledge of football' and had agreed to sell 30% of the club to the group, rising to a controlling stake. The other investors were either made up names or people who didnt have the money. In either case, it wasnt one of Bills finer moments. Still, it was a 'means to an end'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back