Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Everton Board Thread (Inc. Bill Kenwright / Blue Union)

Is it time for Change...???

• Kenwright an the Board out, We need Change.

Votes: 503 80.0%
  • Im Happy with the way thing are. Kenwright an the Board should stay

Votes: 126 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2013, we earned 86 million. 55.5 million from Tv deals, 17.5 million from match days, 12 million from commercial deals and 1 million from catering.

Now we want to win trophies and play in europe and be succesful as a club. You can't do that on a budget of 86 million a year, or it's very hard to anyway. We have over 40 million pounds of debt, we've sold our training ground, we've reduced our wage bill that is already only the 10th highest in the league and less than a third of what the regular trophy winning team pays, we don't pay as much top agents as 9 or 10 other teams to which means a lot of agents refuse to work for us and it's still been ten windows since we've been able to even spend all the money we've earned in transfer fees.

We can carry on as it is and hope that the excellent managers the board are able to attract can bridge the huge gaps in finances between us and the top 4 and make every one of our pounds out perform two pounds spent at liverpool and utd and spors. Cos Steve is right if we start winning the stuff on the pitch, things off the pitch will look rosier. But this has basically been the tactics that haven't given us a trophy in nearly twenty years, it's hard to win stuff when your rivals outspend you 3 or 4 to 1 on both fees and wages.

Or we can try and increase that income so that gap isn't quite as big.

Now the easiest way is to get investment from a board memeber who is willing to pump their own money in, this is what has happened at most other premier league clubs. Our chairman has said his main goal is to get that kind of investment for this club, but he has failed at that for 12 years (whether that's because he's gone about it badly or because it's an unachievable aim I don't know, but it's failed).

Therefore you have to look at increasing our income, which isn't all that high. Regular CL football would help, but the extra money you'd have to pay to get the players good enough to do that would probably be more.

So you have to look at the 17.5 million from match days, the 12 million from commercial deals and the 1 million from catering. And see if we can get those deals higher.

And they haven't risen at all over the last three years. Again either it's impossible to do (because of what Steve says above about our facilities and lack of name recognition) or our board isn't going the right way about doing it (which is what Davek argues).

I just hope to god they don't start increasing the ticket prices to arsenal like levels, because our fanbase can't afford that and it would kill the club as what it is. It's one of the things Kenwright has done right here (he's employed excellent managers, he's kept us stable and running and in no danger of administration, and he's kept the tickets broadly affordable).

I know that when they realased details of the ten most profitable shrit sponsorship deals in the premier league Everton weren't on it (while the likes of Sunderland were) and I know when the guardian compared the club accounts of all 20 premier league clubs for 2010-11 here our incoming from commercial was pretty low comapred to our rivals.

In 2010-11 we made 82 million, 53 came from tv deals, 17 from tickets sold on match days and only 12 from commercial deals.

Compare that 12 million from commercial deals to Man U's 103 million, liverpool's 77 million, Man City's 65 million, Arsenal's 33 million, Spurs 19 million, Villa's 17 million or Newcastle's 16 million.

In 2011-12, that had dropped to 11 milion from commercial deals (less than norwich's 14 million).

In 2012-13 it was back up to 12 million. That's about what West Ham, Sunderland and Fulham get. It's difficult to argue they're overperforming in this area.

The truth is we have a lower commercial income than any other top half premier league club. Most of our income comes from tv and prize money.

That mate is quite damning and really highlights what an incompetent board and management we have at the club. Thanks for the figures. Your immediate previous post serves to emphasize what you have stated here to which I have replied.

Essentially while we have this board and management in place it is not going to improve and this board are in no hurry to leave or address the issues raised, Catch 22!

Last edited:
The board are chancers its fair to say that considering no one has invested in the club.

now if bill kenwright was a yank and RS fan would the same people be defending him? NO he would be given the johnson treatment.

BUT DAR BILL IZ A BLU LAD HE MORGEGED IZ OUSE TO SAFE UZ

That mate is quite damning and really highlights what an incompetent board and management we have at the club. Thanks for the figures. Your immediate previous post serves to emphasize what you have stated here to which I have replied.

Essentially while we have this board and management in place it is not going to improve and this board are in no hurry to leave or address the issues raised, Catch 22!

I'm not sure that is the case. Securing big sponsorship while our noisy neighbours rattle on (and are potentially more desirable, dispite their disgusting attitudes) is a difficult ask.

The only positive to a potential sponsor is out performance.

Our stadium is shabby and devoid of corporate boxes.

Say, for example, you're mr big bucks, do you shop in Sue Ryder or Georgio Armani if they're a similar price, even if they're the same quality?

Last edited:
Being in the same city as Liverpool FC forces Everton's owners to give away for a song its most potentially lucrative non-broadcasting commercial asset - the shirt deal (and the rest of its merchandise for good measure).

I hate the way Liverpool make them do that.

And the hopelessly low 4m p.a. they take off Chang...Kopites again. It's not right.

Being in the same city as Liverpool FC forces Everton's owners to give away for a song its most potentially lucrative non-broadcasting commercial asset - the shirt deal (and the rest of its merchandise for good measure).

I hate the way Liverpool make them do that.

And the hopelessly low 4m p.a. they take off Chang...Kopites again. It's not right.

You're actually quite good at sarcasm. Is it true that before merchandising/shirts were outsourced(first to JJB and then to Kitbag..who handle merchandising for quite a few clubs including Man City, that we were running merchandising at a loss? Was it Wyness who outsourced so at least there was a profit in it? Similarly he outsourced catering, as he had done at Aberdeen, but our caterers are in fact up there with the most successful in their business(Wembley, F1 circuits, many football clubs, top racing circuits, amongst their clients). Thats last years information, but I doubt its changed. I've read on here many times that 'Evertonians don't buy merchandising', well at least not to the extent other clubs supporters do. If we had the capability to merchandise in house, and make big big profits, that might be the way to go, but it is contrary to the current trend in all sports, and in stadium concerts as well...outsourcing is what people do.Whelan had the right idea, and the available money, at Wigan...he bought the company that makes the pies ! There is more to merchandising that just setting up a shop and a website... Kitbag take care of the other stuff as well...in some cases with the boards approval required....like shirt design...but what about manufacturing and supply contracts, advertising, etc ? It is a corner shop mentality, although expensive, to try to handle all this as an individual club.

Incidentally, re the poll at the top of the page. Why do the total votes included only add up to 99.99 % ? -0.1 % 'spoilt votes'?

Just rounding, if you add up the numbers who voted in each category it's the same as the number of total voters.

But 64 out of 617 is 10.37277147% not 10.37% so adding the three won't get you 100%. 72.93% should be 72.9335 and 16.69 should 16.6936 so the .0036, the .0035 and .0027 rounded out adds up the .01 missing.

You're actually quite good at sarcasm. Is it true that before merchandising/shirts were outsourced(first to JJB and then to Kitbag..who handle merchandising for quite a few clubs including Man City, that we were running merchandising at a loss? Was it Wyness who outsourced so at least there was a profit in it? Similarly he outsourced catering, as he had done at Aberdeen, but our caterers are in fact up there with the most successful in their business(Wembley, F1 circuits, many football clubs, top racing circuits, amongst their clients). Thats last years information, but I doubt its changed. I've read on here many times that 'Evertonians don't buy merchandising', well at least not to the extent other clubs supporters do. If we had the capability to merchandise in house, and make big big profits, that might be the way to go, but it is contrary to the current trend in all sports, and in stadium concerts as well...outsourcing is what people do.Whelan had the right idea, and the available money, at Wigan...he bought the company that makes the pies ! There is more to merchandising that just setting up a shop and a website... Kitbag take care of the other stuff as well...in some cases with the boards approval required....like shirt design...but what about manufacturing and supply contracts, advertising, etc ? It is a corner shop mentality, although expensive, to try to handle all this as an individual club.

That at least partly is due to oppurtunity, though. Buying everton merchandise is hard because a lot of big shops, especially outside merseyside, don't stock it but do stock other clubs.

It's a chicken and egg thing. It might well be we're not buying it cos it's not there rather than the other way round.

That at least partly is due to oppurtunity, though. Buying everton merchandise is hard because a lot of big shops, especially outside merseyside, don't stock it but do stock other clubs.

It's a chicken and egg thing. It might well be we're not buying it cos it's not there rather than the other way round.

I think when we go back to umbro we may shift less merchandise again

In Bristol, I could easily buy, from any dept/sports shop, Barcelona, RM, Juve,Celtic, RS, Utd and Chelsea shirts. Maybe Spurs, Arsenal and Citeh if I looked around. No Bristol City or Rovers shirts, as the local fans go to the club shops. A shop is not going to carry stock that "might" sell. No matter what the make, design or distribution company.

Sad, but true.

Thats fair comment. Its one of the areas that needs looking at again...maybe branches of Everton Supporters clubs around the country(I nearly said around the world) could have some input...nearest Kitbag controlled outlets, etc ? But this would only ever move a few more, and people buy online. In football, successon the field(thats trophies!) brings success off the field . Noy just one trophy, but a regular hit for a few years. Nothing will happen suddenly.

Just rounding, if you add up the numbers who voted in each category it's the same as the number of total voters.

But 64 out of 617 is 10.37277147% not 10.37% so adding the three won't get you 100%. 72.93% should be 72.9335 and 16.69 should 16.6936 so the .0036, the .0035 and .0027 rounded out adds up the .01 missing.

Yep. 0.1% of 617 is less than 1. Got it ! :lol:

Thats fair comment. Its one of the areas that needs looking at again...maybe branches of Everton Supporters clubs around the country(I nearly said around the world) could have some input...nearest Kitbag controlled outlets, etc ? But this would only ever move a few more, and people buy online. In football, successon the field(thats trophies!) brings success off the field . Noy just one trophy, but a regular hit for a few years. Nothing will happen suddenly.

How about chasing Irish supporters? A lot have posted here at not getting stuff in Ireland. How about the US? How about the effort with chang? Any of that dependant on 'success'? You seem to be confusing that with profile, the club has to raise that by access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back