The Everton Board Thread

By the same token, if the CPS drops the case (maybe by the bail date in July when it sounds as though the judge will need convincing to extend) does the Club (and the Player for that matter) have any legal course for compensation?

The club for continued payment to a player who was unavailable, and the player for reputational damage?

This isn't me trying to absolve the player of all blame, just a legal question.
We would surely be due significant compensation if it turns out to be nothing. Lost a first team player for an entire season because of it.
There was legally nothing stopping us from playing him. It was clubs (correct) decision to suspend him where Sunderland and Man City continued to play their players

But you cant be wrongly investigated can you? They have a duty to investigate criminal complaints.
That's kinda why I'm unsure on the course for making claim.

Legally, the club could have kept him available for selection, but any decent lawyer could argue that due to his mental state he was never going to be able to play due to the pressure of the investigation etc.

The police are absolutely right to investigate serious accusations and persue the strongest possible sentence provided they have a case.

Regardless of the Covid backlog, it shouldn't take a year. You'd imagine they were fairly confident of their case when they knocked in his door. From the outside it looks weaker with each passing week.

By the same token, if the CPS drops the case (maybe by the bail date in July when it sounds as though the judge will need convincing to extend) does the Club (and the Player for that matter) have any legal course for compensation?

The club for continued payment to a player who was unavailable, and the player for reputational damage?

This isn't me trying to absolve the player of all blame, just a legal question.
Tricky one. I'm not sure the club would want to muddy the water in that situation and as someone has said above who do you complain too? Regardless of the outcome the club will probably be quite happy to end ties with Player X and try to move on with as little noise as possible.
As for Player X. If found innocent and he wants to continue his career he'll probably need to move to a different league because this will stick regardless of verdict. Could player X try and claim damages for defamation of character? Maybe but again who do they take action against. Maybe sponsors but I'd assume any company linked to said player would have gone through their contracts with a fine toothcomb before severing any financial ties.
It's a really messy situation with so many

That's kinda why I'm unsure on the course for making claim.

Legally, the club could have kept him available for selection, but any decent lawyer could argue that due to his mental state he was never going to be able to play due to the pressure of the investigation etc.

The police are absolutely right to investigate serious accusations and persue the strongest possible sentence provided they have a case.

Regardless of the Covid backlog, it shouldn't take a year. You'd imagine they were fairly confident of their case when they knocked in his door. From the outside it looks weaker with each passing week.
Cases of this nature take time because they can lead off into all sorts of directions - and every new direction has to be directed so it has to be thorough. What i would say (with absolutely no knowledge of the investigation) If the accusations were unsubstantiated the authorities would have dropped the charges by now, the fact they haven't would suggest there's more to this and from the very vague bits of information that are public, it certainly doesn't seem anyone expected this to drag on for the time it has.

As someone has just said, player X is innocent until proven otherwise. I imagine the un-named club will have gone through everything looking at what they were legally allowed to do regarding termination or breach of contract but ultimately, until said player is charged - and given the sensitivity surrounding it, I'm not sure what else the club could have done.
There might be a legal argument - if found guilty were the club could try and claw back earnings paid over the last 12 months since the initial allegations were made and said player has been unavailable but again, given the nature of the alleged offence the focus shouldn't really be on a rich Football Club getting it's money back, but on supporting those affected by Player X's actions.
Said player went to the police and admitted doing it and was being blackmailed for it

It is the saving grace though. If we stayed at Goodison another 10-20 years (at least) while every one of our peers built/upgraded theirs we could easily find ourselves slipping down the table and owners that we should be courting going to clubs like Villa/Wolves/Forest/Leeds where they don't need to plough hundreds of millions into infrastructure even before thinking about the team.

Someone had to do this for the sake of the club, does that mean he should get a free ride due to the mistakes in other areas? No. But people who want to drive him out are bonkers and are effectively as bad as kopites as they'll quite happily see us in the dustbin.
Well the thing is Moshiri's running of this club, very nearly led to our relegation. That would've been an event that could've had, catastrophic consequences for Everton as a club.

However i appreciate the apology. It means we can sort of draw a line under the events of the past few months.

I just that Moshiri has learned from this now, and that he stops the meddling, and leaves Frank Lampard and Kevin Thelwell get on with their jobs without interference.

20220609_201137.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back