The Everton Board Thread

See right there youve proved my point, by making something so stupid up and trying to pin it on Kenwright, have you read the article and seen who the author is?
Nobody has to leak anything about Moshiri, his record speaks for itself
I'm not coming down on either side of the fence on this, I'm afraid you misunderstand me. I'm just trying to build out the wider possibilities at play.

I've read the whole thing, and I've seen who wrote it, yes. Anything he hears is likely third or fourth hand at best. True or otherwise.

I'm curious about your loyalty to Kenwright?

Please can you provide a little more context as to why you believe he has done such a good job during his tenure?
A few reasons, one being the fact that the new owner took us backwards at an alarming rate kind of vindicates his ownership, he managed to have us much more stable, playing at a much higher level, without relegation worries, and all on next to nothing budget. He did that by actually working with the manager and keeping a proper eye on the accounts.
Two his aganeda was only ever to benefit Everton, which he did. While his successor I cant even guess what his resons are.
Three, without him buying us when he did there is not a chance we would of stayed in the Premier League all these years, in fact when you look at the type of people who bought clubs back then, few of them seemed to of either done well or had good intentions, dont forget back them football didnt have to money involved that is has now. The Villa's, Newcastles, West Hams, Sunderlands, Blackburns.....etc we could and more then likely would of been one of them.

I'm curious about your loyalty to Kenwright?

Please can you provide a little more context as to why you believe he has done such a good job during his tenure?
I think Bill Kenwright has many flaws but he does understand football.

With David Moyes they managed to keep Everton in the upper half of the table on a shoestring for over a decade. They largely bought well and largely sold well.

The reckless spending and hiring and firing of managers started with the arrival of Moshiri and I don't think it is much of a stretch to recognise that most of the bad decisions are laid at his feet.

My memory was that Kenwright wanted Moyes and other members of the board had other preferences including Potter but Moshiri went over their heads and appointed Benitez.

It isn't that Kenwright has done an amazing job it is simply that he isn't responsible for the train wreck that has been our club in recent years.

I think Bill Kenwright has many flaws but he does understand football.

With David Moyes they managed to keep Everton in the upper half of the table on a shoestring for over a decade. They largely bought well and largely sold well.

The reckless spending and hiring and firing of managers started with the arrival of Moshiri and I don't think it is much of a stretch to recognise that most of the bad decisions are laid at his feet.

My memory was that Kenwright wanted Moyes and other members of the board had other preferences including Potter but Moshiri went over their heads and appointed Benitez.

It isn't that Kenwright has done an amazing job it is simply that he isn't responsible for the train wreck that has been our club in recent years.
Good post, its good to see somebody besides me posting sense in this thread

A few reasons, one being the fact that the new owner took us backwards at an alarming rate kind of vindicates his ownership, he managed to have us much more stable, playing at a much higher level, without relegation worries, and all on next to nothing budget. He did that by actually working with the manager and keeping a proper eye on the accounts.
Two his aganeda was only ever to benefit Everton, which he did. While his successor I cant even guess what his resons are.
Three, without him buying us when he did there is not a chance we would of stayed in the Premier League all these years, in fact when you look at the type of people who bought clubs back then, few of them seemed to of either done well or had good intentions, dont forget back them football didnt have to money involved that is has now. The Villa's, Newcastles, West Hams, Sunderlands, Blackburns.....etc we could and more then likely would of been one of them.
Ok!

So when a new broom sweeps it invariably leads to an unsettled period and Moshiri has a weird approach to business and football matters and I want him gone as much as the next person but none of this absolves Kenwright of any blame.

Lets look at what Kenwright "inherited", one of the most successful clubs in history with a powerful and loyal fanbase at the start of an era that has ultimately been good to those who sought to grow with the new concept of Premiership Football and all its trimmings. IMO and it is only my opinion, he has been neglectful at best for not using some of our USP and this advent of the New Era to really under pin Everton as a leader in footballing terms, he had every opportunity but while he steadied a very "stormy" sea after the previous Johnson era he has not ever been able to attract any sort of investment into the club despite his 24hr 7 day a week search.

As all clubs of that era we had a a ground in need of development, a team in need of development, training facilities in need of development but we also had huge, solid foundations on which he could have attracted massive investment into Everton but he chose to lie about many of his forays into this search(im not gonna list them, its old ground and we all know) but other teams, the likes of Chelsea, City, Utd and even them across the park saw these opportunities and went with it and yes some of them are soulless entities who i wouldn't want to be a part of but they have been successful soulless entities and ultimatley that is what we SHOULD be.

So none of the above was achieved but he still managed to steady a ship but how he steadied the ship begs many questions, effective asset stripping both at infrastructure level and at squad level. When we sold our tangible assets including Rooney we were in real danger of Administration but what had done to head this off, nothing, his search for investors was fruitless but he did appoint a steady and upcoming Manager and that is what settled the ship, a Manager who managed in the truest sense of the word, with a great scouting network, tenacious people management and even a great fanbase relationship.

How can you hand on heart say he was only ever interested in benefitting Everton based on the above and his virtuous message about his days in the boys pen, can you honestly say that he didnt see an opportunity to feather his own nest in any way, again not that, that is the wrong thing but was that his motivation for this endless search or was it to find some fool like Moshiri who would allow him to still be a figurehead? I dont doubt his love or affinity for Everton, we all have it in buckets, but he is totally culpable for the decisions and choices made that see us where we are now.

we cant base our opinion on supposition or guess work so who is to say we would have been relegated from the Prem before, we have skirted with it on numerous occasions but and yes this stands, we haven't yet suffered that fate so to say it would have been so is not necessarily a good argument.

What is true though is that Moshiri felt it ok to leave him at the helm for whatever reason, be it his affinity or understanding of the machinations of the internals of Everton. This element should have been an interim decision, until a full board review and business model was put in place, this clearly hasnt happened and Bill is still here and involved in some decision making and based on his previous form and results, its seems negligent of Moshiri to let that continue.

So in effect we have two shambolic and ill qualified figureheads now and that needs to be addressed immediately. Kenwright should, with some dignity and honour allow the his tenure to end with a lesser honorary title bestowed upon him but not in any way be involved in any executive decisions at all. Moshiri should and to all intents it appears he may be doing this, stay the hell out of football matters, appoint a business savvy board with the sole purpose of capitalising on the massive benefits of the new stadium and all the potential that it will unleash commercially.

I fear that neither will happen and while green shoots etc etc may show we will stay in this cycle of profligacy, when clearly throwing good money away and allowing a 1980's model still dictate how we are run is not the answer , yes we are know for being the Peoples Club and all that entails with EITC etc but we need to be hard nosed and profitable and Bill ended his 24/7 search with Mosh at the head of table and thus far the evidence is showing its not worked, so bill is responsible in no small part for that.

all of this said its just my opinion and worthless in the scheme of things and that is why we are here on GOT discussing it, rather than being a board member.

I just want a successful Everton, much like you, i would imagine.

….I’ve long thought the diplomatic route out for Kenwright would be to give him the purely honorary title of Life President. For me, he’s always been cringeworthy romantic about the club.

More savvy posters than me have a view on his business dealings in the clubs name but I’ve never particularly warmed to the man. If anything, I’m thankful we have remained in the top flight during his tenure but it’s time to move him aside in a respectful way.

….I’ve long thought the diplomatic route out for Kenwright would be to give him the purely honorary title of Life President. For me, he’s always been cringeworthy romantic about the club.

More savvy posters than me have a view on his business dealings in the clubs name but I’ve never particularly warmed to the man. If anything, I’m thankful we have remained in the top flight during his tenure but it’s time to move him aside in a respectful way.

Is him being launched into the Mersey via a trebuchet respectful enough do you reckon, Eggo?

Kenwright appears to have some capabilities with regard to the business of transfers and contacts, but I'd say that's limited and can be replaced.

We certainly shouldn't be in any way dependent on him in that respect. I hope the changes Thelwell makes contribute to making that a reality but he is the Chairman at the end of the day so can intervene if wants to I guess.

He will be here until at least the completion of the stadium. With his age and the stadium in short order being a catalyst for new investment, I'd hope at that point be would either resign voluntarily or be replaced in any event by new owners.

He has overstayed his welcome by quite some time, and must shoulder a lot of blame for a catalog of serious mistakes and failures. Stepping back to allow Thelwell/Lampard get on with it isn't going to change my opinion of him, as it won't with Moshiri either.