The F.A Cup or a top 4 finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I would be happy with the FA Cup and a 5th-6th place as I can't see us finishing ahead of utd, city, arsenal and chelsea. Another decent summer in the transfer market and we might be in a position to challenge

I'm not sure I get the logic that finishing 4th will automatically mean that cups will follow.

It doesn't automatically mean anything, but it gives you the financial ability to compete for a change, that combined with Moyes ability to buy Fellaini instead of Andy Carroll means we could pick out some decent players.. combined with being in the champions league means better players will be willing to come to us, meaning we can become a much better team. Something I would like to see.
A better team means improved chance of winning cups in the future. Winning one cup means just that.. 1 cup then a few decades of obscurity again. I would sacrifice that cup in the attempt to do better. I can wait a little longer to see improvement.
Having said that either option would be an immense acheivement and I'd be made up with a cup or CL.

It doesn't automatically mean anything, but it gives you the financial ability to compete for a change, that combined with Moyes ability to buy Fellaini instead of Andy Carroll means we could pick out some decent players.. combined with being in the champions league means better players will be willing to come to us, meaning we can become a much better team. Something I would like to see.
A better team means improved chance of winning cups in the future. Winning one cup means just that.. 1 cup then a few decades of obscurity again. I would sacrifice that cup in the attempt to do better. I can wait a little longer to see improvement.
Having said that either option would be an immense acheivement and I'd be made up with a cup or CL.

Like I said if you look back at the times we've played Cl football, and then you look at the times we've won FA cups. The latter tends to spur us on to being boss much more than the former.

Like I said if you look back at the times we've played Cl football, and then you look at the times we've won FA cups. The latter tends to spur us on to being boss much more than the former.

Yeah but basing that on the last example of each.. The CL run never happened for us, fairly confident we get past the first round on a second attempt and get into the money league. Providing we don't face Leeds that is.
The cup in 96 gave us a 6th place the following year.. We didn't hit the top half again until Moyes arrived in 2002 so it wasn't exactly an aspiring catalyst to greatness either.

Can I say both? ;) Silverware would be awesome, been too long.

The other side is playing in the Champions League against the top sides would not only be good experience, but also good exposure for the club.

I'd have to say if I had to choose one, FA Cup, I want the trophy...I would love my son to feel the same way as I did growing up.

Top 4 everytime mate. Purely because we need the doe it generates for long term development. Very boring answer but we need our club to get back on level term financially in order to compete.

With the money will come success (hopefully).

Yeah but basing that on the last example of each.. The CL run never happened for us, fairly confident we get past the first round on a second attempt and get into the money league. Providing we don't face Leeds that is.
The cup in 96 gave us a 6th place the following year.. We didn't hit the top half again until Moyes arrived in 2002 so it wasn't exactly an aspiring catalyst to greatness either.

Base it on 1971 vs 1984 then mate.

As of right now id say the FA Cup but lets see where we are on the league table come Xmas. If we are still in the top 5 then go for CL and mixit up for FA Cup and pray we get some easy draws. If not then go all out for FA Cup; we could win some silver and get Europa League at the same time.

Champions league, I want midweek trips to Spain and Southern France and huge worldwide exposure. An FA cup win would be absolute brilliant as well, but a chance to get to the Champions league may change the club for a long time.

You'll still get midweek trips to spain and france if we win the cup.

For me it's probably the FA Cup, always a good day out at Wembley and winning it doesnt get the CL returns but it could still bring in over £8m with a few home draws with gate receipts, TV revenue and prize money.

However CL qualification does pretty much instantly give you an edge in the transfer market, look at the players who rejected Liverpool for Spurs this year. I don't think that would've happened two seasons ago.

Hmmm, it's a humdinger and no mistake.

Champions League for me, purely for the money we can get if we get into the group stages and if we did some how get into the CL and managed to get out the group it would massively change our clubs financial situation, much more than an FA Cup win would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back