The F.A Cup or a top 4 finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bank on it.

With the new TV Deal each PL place is worth £2m or more, we wouldn't be the first or the last club to lose form and money as a result of European competition.

The really big benefit of the Champions League is increased marketing opportunities, something which this board have shown zero impetus in using to increase revenue. Arsenal reached the round of 16 last season and in total were given £24m from the tournament. Being realistic we would expect to finish 3rd or 4th in the group, and make closer to £16m as a result.

+34mil for finishing 4th to get into the CL in that case

Combine the two and I would fancy our chances at winning more than 1 FA cup and then fading back into obscurity.

top 4 finish brings cash so every time

I will vote FA Cup because that is silverware which, as a player, you want that recognition.
FA Cup also brings European play which = more money / exposure.

Not saying Europa = champions league ...but realistically Everton must walk before we run again.

+34mil for finishing 4th to get into the CL in that case

Combine the two and I would fancy our chances at winning more than 1 FA cup and then fading back into obscurity.

But we would already get the majority of that money anyway, finishing 4th doesn't give us an extra £34m. Also it doesn't start at £2m for 20th place, the last place team next year will get as much as the Champions do this year.

So really with the increase in money from the PL TV deal the Champions League money would have even less of an impact on our overall growth as a team.

Torn. I'm embarrassed at our recent cup record but I always feel that without money we're one bad transfer window away from being very, very weak. Like last summer. The revenue and possible notoriety on the continent could help us financially. Plus CL nights at Goodison are something I would give anything to see in my lifetime. If the Old Lady went and I'd never got the chance to see Everton at the top level, I'd be gutted.

It's basically deciding whether to put an end to the embarrassment of not having won a trophy since the mid 90s or play at the top level with the best (assuming we qualify for the group, like) and making a nice packet to keep us ticking over nicely for a few more years.

I think for these reasons I'd have to go for 4th. I don't think winning a domestic trophy offers the same level of prestige as playing in the CL. I actually think finishing 4th is the bigger achievement anyway. I really really want a [Poor language removed] trophy soon though.

4th.. but it's a tough choise.

1. We would get more money from the CL matches than the EL ones.
2. CL games would make us more internationally known and therefore increase our fanbase in other countries and hopefully give Moyes bigger chanses to sign new players since they will see we can fight at the highest lvl. EL have too many weaker teams until the last stages, while CL get lot of tv coverage from the groupstage onwards.
3. Us finishing 4:th would mean that the red ****e doesn't. Would love the season when we get to play in the top european competition and they won't.
4. Would also give us a better postions when we resign our players on new deals. If they see that they can compete in CL here not many other teams in the PL have more to offer.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

thought overload brain burst warning want a trophy so bad but the money would aid the club so much...................aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhghhhhhhhhhhhh

Trophy it is then.

Has to be FA cup for me, it's been far too long since we experienced the joy of lifting a cup, and that also gives us a crack at the Europa League following season, I know it's not as glamorous as the CL but it's still a highly sought after trophy.

I love all this talk of "the CL means wheelbarrows of coinage and an ace international reputation" and "once we've broken into the CL, cups will follow".

Remind me again who knocked us out in our solitary CL tilt?

Where are they now? Did they win anything? Are they brewstered? Are they household names now?

Nothing is guaranteed from a 4th place finish.

Silverware is guaranteed to be lodged in the record books under 'Honours'.

I love all this talk of "the CL means wheelbarrows of coinage and an ace international reputation" and "once we've broken into the CL, cups will follow".

Remind me again who knocked us out in our solitary CL tilt?

Where are they now? Did they win anything? Are they brewstered? Are they household names now?

Nothing is guaranteed from a 4th place finish.

Silverware is guaranteed to be lodged in the record books under 'Honours'.

To be fair Villarreall had the best spell in their history on the basis of that run to the Cl semis, with 2nd and 4th place finishes and two more european semi finals following. And this from a team who had barely played top flight football before and never even reached a cup final in their history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back