The F.A Cup or a top 4 finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair Villarreall had the best spell in their history on the basis of that run to the Cl semis, with 2nd and 4th place finishes and two more european semi finals following. And this from a team who had barely played top flight football before and never even reached a cup final in their history.

They were very unlucky with injuries when they were relegated as well, plus the financial landscape in Spain is completely on another planet to England.

What would you rather have come the end of the season?

For me it's a F.A Cup, purely because we won't win the Champions League.

top4 doesent mean you get in the champiuons league, some of the teams in the qualifiers will be solid as we would have a fairly low seed.

How has the name FELLAINI not been mentioned yet.

4th place, Fellaini stays. I always fear players like fellaini, jelavic, baines etc will realize they are champions league quality and move on for better things. Granted, with champions league money they would all expect rises, but they would be more likely to stay since they would be playing in the top club competition in the world.

Football has changed a lot, money is king now. My heart says FA Cup, my head says 4th.

edit: this also shouldn't be considered a one turn game. If we could capitalize on a 4th place finish, we could build the squad that could eventually put us in a better position to win the FA CUP

and for those mentioning Spurs, I should hope we wouldn't spend as stupidly as they did.

FA Cup all day for me. understand the financial benefits of 4th but it's not a given we'd even get through the qualification process. we got unlucky/screwed with the villareal tie, but now they do it where the better teams play eachother and coming from england we'd be drawn against someone from italy, spain etc. if i'm not mistaken. our motto is nothing but the best is good enough - being 4th IS NOT the best, but winning the FA Cup I for that competition. i want to taste success for everton, however if you asked me the same question with regards to the League Cup i would probably say scrap the previous two lines. probably because who we'd beat would not really make us seem like the best for that ponsy trophy.

Top 3 finish as we don't want to suffer the same fate as Spurs. I know it's great winning the FA Cup but the feeling probably lasts a week at best. Seeing us in the top 4 week after week makes the feeling last all season long. If results go well (including the Swansea away us turning up against Southampton) then we could well be top of the lot before Spurs visit Old Trafford.

FA Cup, I want to feel glory again, and more importantly let some of our younger fans experience it.

I agree it would be great for the younger fans but if you know your history you'll know that, although we finished 6th the season after winning the FA Cup in '95, in the following six seasons the highest we finished was 13th. I cherish the memories of all three FA Cups we've won since I became an Evertonian but I feel much better as a fan now, despite the lack of silverware, than I have done since the great Howard Kendal side of the mid-eighties. We weren't able to compete in European Cup then, and we all know how that affected the club's fortunes; this season we have a great chance to get into next season's Champions League and kick on from there. I'll be 60 before the end of the year and I'd love to look forward to a retirement watching a great Everton side playing regularly in Europe. I sometimes fear that Davy Moyes might see winning a cup as job done and move on and it breaks my heart to think we would return to the days of Walter Smith.

Anyway, here's something for the youngsters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrlZiNcItg

I want another FA Cup song ;) I LOVED this song, I remember hearing a joke that Stuart Barlow was singing the high parts ;)

[video=youtube_share;mPrUjSrwvkc]http://youtu.be/mPrUjSrwvkc[/video]

Shocking some of the views on winning a trophy there above. It's no wonder why we're waiting 18 years and counting to see silverware. There's no pressure on this club to do anything but get as close as it can to the "Champions" League places. Mind boggling to me. Besides, you get to the promised land of the Champions League group stages...erm, yeah, then what? A season in there like Montpellier or Mettalist and back to the EL? £10M financial boost that'll go straight to 'the bank'?

We'll end up like Newcastle at this rate - half a century without lifting a trophy. Never in a milion years would I ever thought I'd see us come up empty handed for the best part of two decades. But there you go. I suppose that's the acceptable standard now.

Woeful.

Shocking some of the views on winning a trophy there above. It's no wonder why we're waiting 18 years and counting to see silverware. There's no pressure on this club to do anything but get as close as it can to the "Champions" League places. Mind boggling to me. Besides, you get to the promised land of the Champions League group stages...erm, yeah, then what? A season in there like Montpellier or Mettalist and back to the EL? £10M financial boost that'll go straight to 'the bank'?

We'll end up like Newcastle at this rate - half a century without lifting a trophy. Never in a milion years would I ever thought I'd see us come up empty handed for the best part of two decades. But there you go. I suppose that's the acceptable standard now.

Woeful.

Bingo. People want us to finish higher up the table for some sort of false esteem or the extra prize money which goes into Kenwrong's back pocket.

Woeful.

well said, no brainer for me too in going for the cup, this club will remain stagnant until we get investment so if we did somehow manage to qualify for the CL, we'd be stuffed in it and it would probably wreck that years league campaign (we cant even rotate our squad enough to beat Leeds)

But what if we get to the quarter finals again , Will The Now All important league Games Play 2nd fiddle again like in last seasons derby at anfield

Just a load of contradictions from Moyes if u ask me

Football has changed and moved on.
At the moment it is league position that matters.The Holy Grail is CL qualification.Everything else is second rate at best.
I think it is a pity that cup competitions have been so devalued.
The answer is to reorganise the CL,it is a misnomer now anyway as the team that finishes fourth are hardly champions.
Teams that win their domestic cup competitions should also be included in this new competition,it would help regenerate the importance of cup competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back