The F.A Cup or a top 4 finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football has changed and moved on.
At the moment it is league position that matters.The Holy Grail is CL qualification.Everything else is second rate at best.
I think it is a pity that cup competitions have been so devalued.
The answer is to reorganise the CL,it is a misnomer now anyway as the team that finishes fourth are hardly champions.
Teams that win their domestic cup competitions should also be included in this new competition,it would help regenerate the importance of cup competitions.

Not that much it hasn't, surely?

If we've reached a point where some would trade the ecstasy of jumping up and down and going nuts for days on end in the afterglow of seeing their team lift silverware for some low grade thrill of seeing their club 'playin' in der noo camp lad', then football finally is ****ed.

Shocking some of the views on winning a trophy there above. It's no wonder why we're waiting 18 years and counting to see silverware. There's no pressure on this club to do anything but get as close as it can to the "Champions" League places. Mind boggling to me. Besides, you get to the promised land of the Champions League group stages...erm, yeah, then what? A season in there like Montpellier or Mettalist and back to the EL? £10M financial boost that'll go straight to 'the bank'?

We'll end up like Newcastle at this rate - half a century without lifting a trophy. Never in a milion years would I ever thought I'd see us come up empty handed for the best part of two decades. But there you go. I suppose that's the acceptable standard now.

Woeful.

Spot on. Everton used to win stuff regularly but you wouldn't think so now.

Dont accept mediocrity lids. Look at your badge.

Would love us to win the FA CUP, I haven't seen us win anything really, well i was pretty young when we won it in 1995 so i would love it if i could celebrate us winning the FA cup.

for me its champ league, F.A.cup not what it was. cup = 2 good piss ups,semi and final. champ league= 6 good piss ups, assuming we got past the qualifiers.Can see why people would want to win a trophy though. Tough call.

'It's a blessing in disguise'. That floored me that. Going out of a cup to concentrate on getting, realistically, to within 10 points of a 'big club' who will defo get the top four places.

What a wretched way of looking at things. Of course, they've been well manipuilated into it by the club and the local media.

It's pretty simple for me: Everton dont win things fairly regularly = the organisation is rotten and needs fixing.

I would consider settling for one cup and then melting back into the shadows as mediocrity.
I would consider our best chance of becoming a big club again (outside of selling to someone with wedge) as getting into the CL. That's not settling for mediocrity, that's the opposite. That's saying one cup isn't enough, we want to be contending for more in the future.

Long term, the better choice is probably Champions League berth. But I'd love to see the boys hoist a trophy ASAP, so for selfish reasons FA Cup. Hell, I'd have been happy with the Cap One Cup, just something to put in the case.

I know this is probably a daft idea but i never understand why the fourth place team qualifies for champions league. Congrats, you are fourth place and probably twenty points behind the leaders, yet you qualify to see if you're the best team in Europe? Ive thought that the FA Cup should take the place of 4th and get that qualification. It's not like it's guaranteed millions either, you have to still qualify for the group stages..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back