THE GYM THREAD

Do you work out mate?

• Total voters
Stealthily put a few pounds on over the years and then a few week back bust the seam down the thigh of a pair of keks bending over to pick something up. That and feeling sluggish and sore all the time has led to me having a look at where I'm going wrong. Wolfing down absolute garbage after work is the main culprit.

Weighed myself and was tipping 14 Stone 4lb. 6ft 3 so not monstrously overweight but definitely tipping towards the unhealthy side of BMI and getting podgy. Found it quite easy to change my diet and knock the sweet stuff on the head. Putting in a 500-600 daily calorie deficit now and since I'm actually paying attention to getting fibre and protein into my diet instead of sugary quick fixes and crisps I very rarely feel hungry outside meal times. Surprised me as I really thought I'd struggle.

Down to a few ounces over 14 Stone now and I have a physical job but I bought some dumbells for some slightly more intense exercise to raise the heart-rate. Never been a gym in my life but doing a 20 minute routine every other day which is enough to leave me a sweaty trembling mess on the floor afterwards.

It's all about the ratio of muscle to fat though isn't it mate. BMI assumes a certain ratio, so can only be used as a very generic starting point.
15 years ago I was 210lbs (fifteen stones) and BMI classed me as overweight. But my body fat % was low and was carrying a fair bit of muscle then, because i played a lot of sport and exercised constantly.

Fast forward to today: I'm lighter by about 15lbs and the BMI score is better (because obviously my height hasn't changed). But I've lost more muscle than anything else and have definitely put on some fat. My shirts are looser around the shoulders and my trousers are tighter round the waist.

TL;DR: There's "good" weight and "bad" weight. Muscle is heavy, lots of muscle makes you weigh a lot. But it definitely isn't bad!

It's all about the ratio of muscle to fat though isn't it mate. BMI assumes a certain ratio, so can only be used as a very generic starting point.
15 years ago I was 210lbs (fifteen stones) and BMI classed me as overweight. But my body fat % was low and was carrying a fair bit of muscle then, because i played a lot of sport and exercised constantly.

Fast forward to today: I'm lighter by about 15lbs and the BMI score is better (because obviously my height hasn't changed). But I've lost more muscle than anything else and have definitely put on some fat. My shirts are looser around the shoulders and my trousers are tighter round the waist.

TL;DR: There's "good" weight and "bad" weight. Muscle is heavy, lots of muscle makes you weigh a lot. But it definitely isn't bad!
Aye - I only use BMI as a very rough measure of where I should be. Definitely carrying a fair bit more flab around the waist than muscle in my case lol

BMI (IMO) is absolutely the worst way to gauge weather you’re a healthy weight or not. I’m 6ft 5 and in a past life I was 14st 5… doc told me to lose weight due to my BMI even though I looked like I had end stage aids. My natural weight is mid 16s but currently about a stone over that. I just use my clothes as a gauge these days. If I’m happy with how my jeans fit then we’re all good.

BMI (IMO) is absolutely the worst way to gauge weather you’re a healthy weight or not. I’m 6ft 5 and in a past life I was 14st 5… doc told me to lose weight due to my BMI even though I looked like I had end stage aids. My natural weight is mid 16s but currently about a stone over that. I just use my clothes as a gauge these days. If I’m happy with how my jeans fit then we’re all good.
Hahaha "end stage aids".

It is bad for health though any sort of excess weight on the body is bad for you muscle or fat

The heart still strains if its pumping round a 250lb muscle physique

Lean and in your bmi is the healthiest way to go

It is bad for health though any sort of excess weight on the body is bad for you muscle or fat

The heart still strains if its pumping round a 250lb muscle physique

Lean and in your bmi is the healthiest way to go
See I don’t like using BMI purely because i used to do a lot of sport (football, cross country and even had a go at some bobsleighing) and had quite a bit of muscle, in no was I even close to being overweight. However, my bmi had me at overweight. The condition I’m in now though I defo won’t be using it :pint2::hayee:

See I don’t like using BMI purely because i used to do a lot of sport (football, cross country and even had a go at some bobsleighing) and had quite a bit of muscle, in no was I even close to being overweight. However, my bmi had me at overweight. The condition I’m in now though I defo won’t be using it :pint2::hayee:
BMI is a rough indicator of body fat, but actual body fat % measurements are most accurate as they take into account what you've written basically.

Back when I played a lot more footy and combined it with gym for strength I was just about in the "obese" category, despite not being remotely close to it physically. Time played a trick on me though and I'm now justifiably in that category as I'm just a bit overweight from those times lol

Was a member for a while when my road running went to pish while I recovered from a broken hand. Some odd specimens in there talking about all kinds of powders to maximise sessions. Yet these people wouldn't put full fat milk in their tea because of fats.

Gyms do good for people in different ways. Just bring earphones to drown out the noise.
One of these show offs that can walk on their hands?

3480bc-black-xs-t-preacher-of-the-swoley-bible.jpg

Tank-topped-protein-worshipers working every muscle but the one that counts. Pick up a book for a change you body odour loving heathens.

anyone clued up on gym-related nutrition and stuff like that? Since around beginning of May I've started going regularly again. Started with 3 full body workouts a week, now scaled back to 2 as I was getting exhausted. I've also found in that time that my appetite has gone through the roof. Meals that used to fill me up now leave me hungry and I end up regularly having big binges at bed time so I'm not too hungry to sleep.

Seems a bit extreme for me for only 2-3 workouts a week. Has anyone else ever experienced that?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back