The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without question we need to sell to spend that kind of money. Fellaini out and e.g. Bony, Fer in would be OK. Baines out, Bony in rather less so. The problem is nobody is willing to pay for Fellaini and we desperately do not want to sell Baines hence Kone and exploring loans for Barca youngsters. By the time someone comes in for Fellaini it will be too late as the players we had targeted will be gone, leaving us either sitting on the cash (howls of outrage) or forcing a deal for someone that may/may not be well thought through.

Sadly I agree, and it's frustrating that Fellaini's most likely destination have a manager who really doesn't like spending big sums on players and tends to dither. Arsenal are also not as attractive a club this season as they have been in recent years and probably need a 'big' signing to attract more. If the Higuain move comes off it might get things moving.

Without question we need to sell to spend that kind of money. Fellaini out and e.g. Bony, Fer in would be OK. Baines out, Bony in rather less so. The problem is nobody is willing to pay for Fellaini and we desperately do not want to sell Baines hence Kone and exploring loans for Barca youngsters. By the time someone comes in for Fellaini it will be too late as the players we had targeted will be gone, leaving us either sitting on the cash (howls of outrage) or forcing a deal for someone that may/may not be well thought through.

just don't think that is realistically how any club could work. we will have targets I assume based on a budget that does not ignore or include one off amounts for any of our players, but based on ongoing income and our assets on the pitch. if a key player does go suddenly then we would surely have a number of replacements in mind for every key player and whoever is available at the time will be looked at again. we wouldn't just go out and spend as soon as we get it in anyway I don't reckon, but the money would just be added to a projected pot over a number of years which would probably have to be minus a percentage for wages if we are increasing squad size. our big selling point is being a stable club who do offer decent contracts if you do well, players who are looking for that will be bought in and the 20 mill in on transfers, 20 mill out over one transfer window seems unlikely.. extra wages for key players is where we look to spend over the long term. am beginning to bore myself here, but just think we shouldn't be so quick to sell players who are still doing well here as the big spend is not necessarily going to follow

Last edited by a moderator:
he is a bit of an odd player tho isnt he? can you really seeing him fitting in at any of the top 3? i think hes key to us being successful tho.. because he is soo different, really does give us an edge imo...will be very interesting to see how martinez improves him, that goal vs arsenal for example..if he does more than that he could be exceptional

We definitely have plans for what we would do if we sold Fellaini. The issue is timing. If it happens early we have a full choice of targets and time to be methodical. If it happens late we may have very few, if any, targeted individuals still available (either sold or current team not prepared to deal at the last minute) and very little time to make a call.

Of course, we'd be evaluating other players potentially in e.g. August but that is not the same level of diligence that we'd have around targets who had been top of our radar and possibly being actively tracked for a year or two.

In the meantime it looks like we are proceeding on the assumption of no sales and that is certainly better than letting the uncertainty paralyse us - better Kone and maybe someone like the Barca lad on loan in the squad than no additions at all.

Agreed. There are other good midfielders around for half that money. Don't think he's quite done it consistently enough for the few clubs who could afford him actually thinking he's the best option.

Well, I said my bit and then thought some more. You're right though, there's decent players around for less.

But then you see players like Witsel going for over £20 and you think that Fellaini should be the same, or more.

I guess it depends who is interested. Get the Russians sniffing then we can start getting things going high i think. Maybe PSG too.

Well, I said my bit and then thought some more. You're right though, there's decent players around for less.

But then you see players like Witsel going for over £20 and you think that Fellaini should be the same, or more.

I guess it depends who is interested. Get the Russians sniffing then we can start getting things going high i think. Maybe PSG too.

Exactly that, all about who you can get interested.

Arsenal aren't really ones to go out and spend £20m+ wiilly nilly, and if you're not sure if he's consistant enough, maybe Arsenal feel the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back