The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly that, all about who you can get interested.

Arsenal aren't really ones to go out and spend £20m+ wiilly nilly, and if you're not sure if he's consistant enough, maybe Arsenal feel the same way.

Good for us though, innit? Rather keep him then sell him, like.

Besides he has another storming year and his price will rise again.

We definitely have plans for what we would do if we sold Fellaini. The issue is timing. If it happens early we have a full choice of targets and time to be methodical. If it happens late we may have very few, if any, targeted individuals still available (either sold or current team not prepared to deal at the last minute) and very little time to make a call.

Of course, we'd be evaluating other players potentially in e.g. August but that is not the same level of diligence that we'd have around targets who had been top of our radar and possibly being actively tracked for a year or two.

In the meantime it looks like we are proceeding on the assumption of no sales and that is certainly better than letting the uncertainty paralyse us - better Kone and maybe someone like the Barca lad on loan in the squad than no additions at all.

I think we have to plan on the assumption no-one important is leaving and take it on the chin if someone does at the last minute because it so rarely happens that way. I think even planning for the loss of Fellaini now would be impossible as it would have to include an overall view of the way the team would have to play without him. There are areas to improve while Fellaini is here and he has to completely focus on that. I mean I don't think Arteta going when he did was a miscalculation and even significant, both teams probably knew what they were going to be doing after the deal and it was probably already happening and carried on happening after.

I should know this but how long does Fellaini have on his contract?

edit/ just looked it up. He's got 3 seasons left so no rush at all to sell or to give him improved terms - will need addressing next summer though. Baines needs to be signed up this summer

Last edited:

I think people, and I include me in this, really want an exciting new player to get a hard on over.

And the only way that will happen is if a big player goes. And if it's between Fellaini and Baines, there's only one choice, for me anyway.

I am shallow though.

exactly. one good thing about being Everton is that our players always seem to be undervalued by the media and other clubs so we don't get non stop bidding that our board can't resist. if Fellaini was available at 24 mill from another club I had been watching regularly and we had the money I would be so excited if we bought him. I have already seen deals go ahead that makes me terrified of how we might replace him. absolutely no need to sell and cant wait to see him unleashed in a more suitable role under a new manager

I'm not too bothered myself. his outburst last season after putting no effort in and being surprised the fans didn't like it have pretty much made me so 'not arsed' about whether we have him at the club or not. If we still have him I'd like to see him at DM though, not lunmped upfront as a hoofball target.

It is still terribly early in the window with most clubs either not back yet to training or just coming back.
However,it makes you wonder at how highly regarded Fellaini is in football,or what his true value is considered to be.
Obviously the buy out level is not grossly understated or there would be a queue of clubs trying to sign him.It looks as if the valuation is about right or maybe too high. I think we may see him being bought if other clubs are unsuccessful in bringing in preferred or cheaper targets.

It is still terribly early in the window with most clubs either not back yet to training or just coming back.
However,it makes you wonder at how highly regarded Fellaini is in football,or what his true value is considered to be.
Obviously the buy out level is not grossly understated or there would be a queue of clubs trying to sign him.It looks as if the valuation is about right or maybe too high. I think we may see him being bought if other clubs are unsuccessful in bringing in preferred or cheaper targets.

also possible the release fee is as he has said not part of the contract, that teams have sounded us out and that none of them have been encouraged to talk to him. also possible Martinez has looked at what is available and realised what a pointless gamble it would be selling him and that the player sees no point in causing trouble while he has years on his contract and a world cup down the line. nearly all the players being bought in by clubs do seem to be close to the ends of their contracts.

Are there, though?

Fernandinho cost 30 million and he's been doing it in the ukraine. Most good midfielders will cost you 25 million plus these days.

But he's surely a very exceptional case? The likes of Fer, M'Vila, van Ginkel and Strootman have all transferred for, or been valued at, considerably less than £20m fairly recently. Not saying any of them are necessarily better than Fellaini, but when there's other options at cheaper cost consumers will hesitate. Not good for us, really, as it means IF Fellaini goes it might more likely be right at the end of the window.

Are there, though?

Fernandinho cost 30 million and he's been doing it in the ukraine. Most good midfielders will cost you 25 million plus these days.

That's not true.

You need to have a good network of scouts, and a bit of luck.

Arteta 2m, Cahill 2m, Pienaar 2m.

All easily good enough for top four teams while playing for us.

Swansea bought a 20-goal striker from Spain for 2m and now he's worth about 20m if they wanted to sell!

You need luck, and to take a chance.

Unfortunately I wish we wouldn't take a chance on 29-year-old Kone for 5m. :(

it is early but then again i think im right in saying everton is the only club to yet bring in one new face in its playing staff .(newcastle have bought in youth players i think)
fellaini is under value at 24 million imo. im hard pushed to think of any midfeilders in the prem id rather have instead of him in all honesty. juan mata i like , different type of player , but he was bought for around £25 million. how much would city for eg have to pay to prize him away from chelsea ?
any club who gets fellaini for less than £30 million have a bargain going by his standard of football and level of importance to everton.

it is early but then again i think im right in saying everton is the only club to yet bring in one new face in its playing staff .(newcastle have bought in youth players i think)
fellaini is under value at 24 million imo. im hard pushed to think of any midfeilders in the prem id rather have instead of him in all honesty. juan mata i like , different type of player , but he was bought for around £25 million. how much would city for eg have to pay to prize him away from chelsea ?
any club who gets fellaini for less than £30 million have a bargain going by his standard of football and level of importance to everton.

yeah not just undervalued, but more important to us than he would be to other teams, when we sold Rodwell it wasn't because we were forced but because he seemed of more value to City than us. Fellaini's supposed inconsistency is because its unusual for a star player to be shifted about the way he is. Its happened to Rooney and he has moaned like crazy to the media. If people want to indulge in fantasy football then there are games for that. a marquee signing will either arrive or not, the Fellaini sale prob won't make a difference or if anything indicate that we are not interested in big game players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back