The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now our entire budget is 5mil ? And we arent able to buy/sell other players either?

Heres a start -- weve let neville go for one, his wages...were apparently signing alcaraz (signing fee and wages) instead of perhaps promoting duffy....we could sell anichebe/naismith...

Any figures are not set in stone.

If the RS were signing him everyone on here would be laughing at them.
The manager can only spend what he has to hand ATM. We can't speculate about the sale of players and bid 15m for a striker. He sounds like he wants to strengthen in other areas as well, so has, by the sounds of it, put aside 5m or so for the striker.
Also, anybody could hypothetically sell players or promote players from the academy, but if they aren't good enough in reality, or like Heitinga, we find it difficult to get rid of them, we can't budget for that money.

Rafael would be proud.

All jokes aside I think Kone is just a short-term signing mate. A bench option if nothing else. 5 mil seems a bit much but some would argue that Martinez knows the man and Kone would fit right in here.

Also, You said a couple of league positions doesn't justify buying Kone, if you meant that in terms of finishing 1 or 2 positions higher, then it totally is justified. 1 or 2 places higher for us this season would have meant we'd have been playing in Europe next year. Which is what Everton should be aiming to do every year.

What a load of rubbish.

How on earth could we afford to buy a player for £5 million for him then to sit on the bench. He would be currently our best option up front.

He's a proven goalscorer who would cost £5m (1 in 3, similar to Jelavic, but has pace and is capable of holding the ball up).

I don't get your other point about league positions. Baine's left foot said that if we dropped a few places we would lose money.

Jelavic isn't that player at the moment and the forward department needs refreshing. For 5m we have an experienced, rather than ancient striker the manager knows and who has played in the league. We shouldn't worry about his value as much as we are, we should worry about what he does on the pitch. We've concerned ourselves far too much with resale value throughout Moyes tenure. Honestly, I'd love Conor Mcaleney pushing for a starting berth myself, but I can understand the logic behind Kone.

Ok but what if kone has 2nd season syndrome? And jelavic stays as he has been? Were left with them and anichebe...

May as well act drastically.

Resale value is overrated.

If we slipped 3 places in the league we'd lose about £2m anyway. We need a striker that can perform right away.

Slip 3 places and lose 2mil...one year more and most of our team will be closer to retirement...

Striker who can perform right away and improve is what we need.

Rafael would be proud.

All jokes aside I think Kone is just a short-term signing mate. A bench option if nothing else. 5 mil seems a bit much but some would argue that Martinez knows the man and Kone would fit right in here.

Also, You said a couple of league positions doesn't justify buying Kone, if you meant that in terms of finishing 1 or 2 positions higher, then it totally is justified. 1 or 2 places higher for us this season would have meant we'd have been playing in Europe next year. Which is what Everton should be aiming to do every year.

Rafael lol.

They are facts though...no escaping them!

Kone will never get us into top 4. Its like were buying him to stand still (like you say 5mil on a squad player)...we dont have money to waste!

Ok but what if kone has 2nd season syndrome? And jelavic stays as he has been? Were left with them and anichebe...

What if we bought Bony and he broke his leg? What if, what if, what if? We are paying a fairly small fee for a good player in this league. The risk is far less than a big budget signing, but it's still a gamble.

The manager can only spend what he has to hand ATM. We can't speculate about the sale of players and bid 15m for a striker. He sounds like he wants to strengthen in other areas as well, so has, by the sounds of it, put aside 5m or so for the striker.
Also, anybody could hypothetically sell players or promote players from the academy, but if they aren't good enough in reality, or like Heitinga, we find it difficult to get rid of them, we can't budget for that money.

This is the issue with me mate -- the manager can buy/sell players to create funds for these positions...it certainly appears with this approach he is taking the short-term option with no imagination or forward thinking.

Its not for the good of the club.

Which is a prediction based on nothing I'm afraid.

Go back and watch some of the games that Kone plays in last season for Wigan, he's what me miss up front.

What if we bought Bony and he broke his leg? What if, what if, what if? We are paying a fairly small fee for a good player in this league. The risk is far less than a big budget signing, but it's still a gamble.

Of our 1st eleven;

Baines / fellaini / mirallas cost over 5mil (i think distin and jags were 4.5 each?)

So in comparison its a large amount isnt it?

Edit -- if kone was out for a season hes approaching 31 coming off a 2nd bad injury...if say bony did he would still have years ahead of him.

This is the issue with me mate -- the manager can buy/sell players to create funds for these positions...it certainly appears with this approach he is taking the short-term option with no imagination or forward thinking.

Its not for the good of the club.

You have no idea which players Martinez wants, neither does anyone else or me for that matter. Why don't you wait until the transfer window shuts to see which players he brings in.

So for you to say 'his taking the short-term option' makes absolutely no sense at all.

Slip 3 places and lose 2mil...one year more and most of our team will be closer to retirement...

Striker who can perform right away and improve is what we need.

Surely a striker who could perform right away and improve would cost more than £5m in most cases? Can we afford to be spending the majority of our transfer fund on one player when we clearly need to strengthen in other areas?

How can he improve? Hes 29 already and has no obvious skills that a top side would want in comparison to half the league.

Hes not going to improve with age is he?
No he may well not improve with age, but he may well improve with better service, better players and he'd improve us more importantly.

Here's the facts;

1-- We dont need to have a 5mil /10mil or 50mil player-- we need a player not only better than our current forwards but better than 14/15 other teams as well.

2-- Everton have no money to waste on older players. We need to sign players whose value will increase.

3-- A couple of league posifions doesnt advocate spending money on a player whosd value will plummet.

4-- In no way is Kone a proven player. Whose to say next season for him wont be ths same as jelavic (who looked 500 times the player of kone when he arrived)

1. Sadly mate we don't have the funds to rival most teams strikers we need to be looking at improving our own until we are able to afford that big player.

2. So is Distin a waste then mate? 'Cos where I'm sitting Distin is one of the best investments we made short term. Sometimes looking short term is more important than looking long term, which is exactly the same situation as Kone.

3. What does league position matter in this? Point on players value plummiting look at point 2. But if we talk like that then should we sell Baines now? His value will plummet soon due to his age, does that mean we have to get rid now? Deffo not in my opinion.

4. EVERY player in the world has a chance of flopping. That is why transfers are risky. Look at Torres, Look at Adebayor last season, look at Jelavic, and they are only a few examples off the top of my head. Mirallas may of flopped, we simply dont know. Every player has these risks and sometimes they come off (Mirallas) and sometimes not (Jelavic in his current form). Take away his goal scoring record for a second yeah? He has the attributes that we need. Strong, fast, can finish and can hold up the play to bring players like Mirallas in. He IS an improvement no matter what.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back