The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, the main reason that we did not finish in 4th or 5th spot after the start we had was that our depth was so shockingly lacking, Moyes had to continue to stick with his 13 or 14 main players or put someone on the pitch who was not or Everton quality. I mean think about it, Neville, the club captain, didn't play a single minute of football after the Wigan cup debacle. Not saying he deserved to, but it shows how shocking our depth was. All three signings are improvements, and with some quality youngsters breaking the ranks (Barklye, Stones, Garbutt, etc...) we could actually have a much deeper squad next year.

Agreed , and maybe the reluctance of the previous manager to give Oviedo, Barkley and Duffy opportunities when it was possible, is a thing of the past. We will certainly have more depth to the squad next season, and I think we'll see substitutes used with more imagination, and earlier in games if necessary.

Its not ideal but one of our clubs heroes who is still on the staff got sent down for headbutting someone. Im hoping it was only a one off occurance with Alcaraz.

I think if you look at that incident again, the other player made the most of it...players spit all the time, spit anywhere within 50 yards of Suarez and he'd go down like he'd been poleaxed.

really don't understand most of the negative points on here. I am sceptical about the way we have been managed at board level and in the last couple of years at management level, the signings so far seem to deal with some of these doubts. Were there Evertonians saying that we didn't need to add depth to the squad, of those who did were there any suggesting that we should be paying huge amounts just for squad members. And then it just gets into catch 22...buy squad players for sensible prices and you are an idiot for spending any money, get them for nothing and you prove there is no cash.

As far as the fact they have all played for Wigan, this has surprised me because I felt he would be pressured into looking at players he has less knowledge of. These players have in his eyes proved consistent and ideal squad players, pushing players for places and providing cover in areas it was definitely needed. He has avoided paying over the odds for a hyped player from the club. Its normal transfer policy to look at players playing well at teams not doing so well and going under the radar. Should we only sign players from the five teams above us who are not good enough for them?

Fine to moan at stuff going on with the board or the manager but if they eventually respond to pressure, and this is as likely to be that than the start of a process of dismantling the team and selling the family silver, then surely it should just encourage us to push for more change along these lines. Negativity for the sake of negativity defeats the arguments and provides them with power.

Its part one of the transfer window.. that usually means nothing has happened... if part two is sh*t then its time to moan

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you think that the players signed are better than have left -YES thats obvious.

But do you think they are good enough for a top 5/6 team?

I certainly dont and it seems as though martinez thinks these wigan players are indeed good enough.

As for alcaraz its a disgrace signing players who spit . Disgusting.

We seem to be tainting Martinez for buying 'cheap' players, but is this really his fault. Before even strengthening the team he needs to get the numbers up from the players we lost last season. We know the club do not have a pot to piss in, so Roberto has a decision to make. Get players in to fill the squad who he knows what they are capable of and what they can bring to the table or find cheap Carlos kick a balls and hope that they can bed in quick. To me it's a smart move from Martinez to fill the gaps with people he knows and trusts.

The market has changed from the days you could get Cahill for 1.5m or Arteta for a couple of mil and as such unfortunately our finances dictate that we are risk averse, so for that reason Martinez has played it wise.

What we need to hope for now is that the board can find some decent money to buy a couple of genuinely top drawer players that a big outlay is not such a big risk.

As for the whole Alcaraz spitting thing, no it's not good and I do not condone it. On the other hand though 'he who has not sinned cast the first stone'. We have all made bad decisions at times and I will not hang him out o dry for one.

Are the majority of people now actually hoping we do sell Fellaini?

If this means that

1. Martinez will get the money to strengthen further.
2. It might mean we keep Baines.

If this means that

Think i'm 50/50 on it mate.

He's like our 2nd best player. But if we want any more transfers I think he's is dispensible. He'd get a good price, and unlike Baines, I think we could replace him.

But equally i'd be happy if he stayed.

was about to reply but i think ijjy has summed up how i feel about fellani. dont want him to go but will get over it easily

If this means that

Yep! Honestly, if he dominated games regularly the way he can do then he would be as irreplacable as Baines - and worth about £40M - fact is he doesnt, he seems to do it when he can be arsed. For me he was pretty average for the last couple of months and ill never forgive him for the wigan game.

If we get £24M, strengthen and keep baines ill be delighted.

Think i'm 50/50 on it mate.

He's like our 2nd best player. But if we want any more transfers I think he's is dispensible. He'd get a good price, and unlike Baines, I think we could replace him.

But equally i'd be happy if he stayed.

Yep, I am in the same camp.

Though, if we got 18-20m for Baines my mind could be changed again, it's a lot of money for a left back and although he is a top player, he won't be worth that in 12 months time.

That money could be spent elsewhere meaning the focus won't be so reliant on having a luxury left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back