The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We won't ever agree on him.

Im baffled a bit tbf, he was immense for Wigan coming up against the best of the PL, instrumental in winning the FA Cup and is prob Irelands best player - which tbf wouldnt be hard.

Hes only 22, this lad oozes quality, with loads more to come, classic box-box midfielder. His one flaw for me in confidence, hes an unassuming down to earth lad, without the swaggering arrogance or aggression that sometimes required.

TBF i know your not a fan.

Last edited:
Although Diame is decent, still not a neccassity unless Fellaini goes obviously.

A 'cultured' midfielder, someone to play the number 10 role is of more importance. In my opinion obviously.
We have loads of options for the CAM / behind the striker role - Osman, Pienaar, Barkley, Fellaini, Naismith, Mirallas and now Deulofeu who can all play there. Apparently it's Deulofeu's best position.

What we don't have is options for DM - it's only really Gibson and Felliani and both of them will miss half the season through injury or suspension.

Im baffled a bit tbf, he was immense for Wigan coming up against the best of the PL, instrumental in winning the FA Cup and is prob Irelands best player - which tbf wouldnt be hard.

Hes only 22, this lad oozes quality, with loads more to come, classic box-box midfielder.

Why was he instrumental?

You could argue that McManaman was far more instrumental in them winning the cup.

I've seen him go so badly missing in games. Really bad postional play type moments that lead to teams scoring against Wigan. It really put me off over last season and the season before.

Of course he's young though a has loads of time to learn but I'm not really seeing a huge line of teams in for him deposited Wigan's relegation. Could be the price putting people off though I suppose.

Hes only 22, this lad oozes quality, with loads more to come, classic box-box midfielder. His one flaw for me in confidence, hes an unassuming down to earth lad, without the swaggering arrogance or aggression that sometimes required.

Personally I think his 'quality' is being totally overblown. I've watched his lad closely to see if I can understand what the fuss is about & I just don't see it. He's a decent CM player as far as I'm concerned & not some future superstar.

I wouldnt disagree with part of what your saying mate over the last couple of years, i would say positionaly defensively he has improved immensely, i would admit he lacks the aggression in the blood and guts way of flying into tackles and being a physical presence in midfield, i think thats there but not as developed as other attirbutes, especially the positional play defensively, he has improved immensely in the last six months but certainly room for improvement.

Hes not an out an out defensive midfeilder though, hes more of an architecht with an immense engine, which reminds me of Keane so much. People often forget when Keane moved to Utd he was piss poor defensively and more of an attacking midfielder albeit he always had an aggressive streak - but was more of a headless chicken. Like Keane McCarthy can dictate a game, the pace of play and turnover momentum, he can see a game systemcially and his decisions are impecable and mature for one so young. He out thinks opponents. He out thought the like of Toure and Barry in the FA Cup final and has been pivotal in some of the shock results Wigan got in the league over the years and often in the last half of seasons for the same reasons. I would argue a lot of the chances made for McManeman, Maloney, Beusjour and previously Moses were made by McCarthys play and decision making. Im not saying hes the finished article at 22 who is, there is plenty he can improve on, but some of the talent he has shown and play is certainly Champions League standard and there is only room for improvment, his talent and potential is immense.

Last edited:
Personally I think his 'quality' is being totally overblown. I've watched his lad closely to see if I can understand what the fuss is about & I just don't see it. He's a decent CM player as far as I'm concerned & not some future superstar.

Have to agree with this. I think he'll be a good player but not a 'champions league' level player. That said, I wouldn't be averse to signing him for the right fee as I think he'd be an improvement on Gibson (he'd certainly play more games). To be honest I see him as being a more mobile version of Gibson but not sure what extra he brings to the table.???

Relegated teams tend to struggle in the championship as it's a tough, tough league to get out of. If they don't come up 1st time then there's no way they'll be able to demand £10m+ for him. I'd prefer to wait for now.

For what's its worth I know a couple of old pro's who both reckon the lads got all the tools to be a top top Pl midfielder. It's just a matter of whether he wants it bad enough. He apparently needs to be a bit more 'determined' in his game, whatever that means. I've not personally seen enough of him to judge.

That would be my take mate, hes a very unassuming lad and doesnt have that natural arrogance and swagger that sometimes you need.

Last edited:
What we need urgently is a central midfielder.

Gibson is injury prone and osman/pienaar/barkley etc if picked would all be further forward.

So we have 2 natural options for 2 positions and no cover. I think sell some duff players naismith/heitinga/gueye etc and sign one player for as much as we can afford.

What we need urgently is a central midfielder.

Gibson is injury prone and osman/pienaar/barkley etc if picked would all be further forward.

So we have 2 natural options for 2 positions and no cover. I think sell some duff players naismith/heitinga/gueye etc and sign one player for as much as we can afford.

agree, am hoping this will be our 'star' signing...i wonder if martinez will wait till end of transfer window for this? risky , but more likely to get a bargain and if he doesnt get anyone its not a total disaster

agree, am hoping this will be our 'star' signing...i wonder if martinez will wait till end of transfer window for this? risky , but more likely to get a bargain and if he doesnt get anyone its not a total disaster

Yeah tend to agree.

Think we'll wait now. See what happens with sales then move for a midfielder near the end of the window.

One thing your all forgetting about Diame Is he is on a mega wonga contract will be our second highest payed player if we get him

He's not on mega money but does want mega money!. Ive said before, he wants an improved deal at West Ham and is looking for about £70K a week plus, but Allardyce as told him to go earn it and play for it in the first 3-4 months of the season!.

That's why I don't think we'd be in for him, cos he'd want a silly amount of wages. I'd like us to sign him as he'd be a good squad player, but not on big wages, no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back