The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely remember it happening and thinking what a dirty little **** he was for doing it. Can't condone anyone for doing it. That was then, this is now. As long as he gives 100% and keeps his spit to himself whilst playing for us that will do me nicely.

Martinez seems to imply he was spitting on the ground and caught the wrong player, after being abused. If that is true then its definitely not as bad as it sounds but really nothing to back that side of it up. having said that its strange to compare it coldly to someone punching someone. in both cases exactly how bad it was would boil down to levels of provocation and how pre-meditated it was. You could be charged with assault for spitting at someone in the street but you could be charged just abusing someone too. whether it was justifiable after provocation is crucial though. punching someone in the street with no provocation is much more likely to lead to a charge, so really how people feel personally about it really is just that, but are you really more likely to react to being spat at than being punched? Definitely think if he does it deliberately with no provocation at Everton then he should be on his way but saying there is nothing worse is not really sensible

Yeah, but when Fowler snorted the line that time at the derby, Houllier said he done no such thing and was actually pretending to be a goat and eating the grass because its something they do in training. Managers will mostly always defend there players.

Anyway, spitting is fcuking dirty, he best not do that **** while playing for us.

Here is my interim verdict on our new signings. This is my opinion.

Kone - A Stop-gap striker, reportedly cost £5m or £6.5m. This deal really is against the business sense for a club like Everton due to Kone is an aging player without re-sale value by the time his contract expires. Having said that, he "can do a job" for this club for 2 or 3 seasons and providing much needed pace up front. That is, if he can still keep up his level but my grave concern is that strikers tend to lose pace gradually once they reach 30. If he can score 12 league goals or more each season throughout his three years deal here then I would say that will be a fair return. If not, he will leave on free three years later and a big chunk of money is gone without a replacement in place.

Alcaraz - I do not mind this signing because we do need a cheap replacement for Heitinga. I also do not believe Duffy is ready to step in as our 3rd choice CB. Hence, this deal makes sense although I prefer the like of Alderweireld if we have the money.

Robles - The quoted fee is £1.6m or £3.5m. Joel is a young keeper and has good years ahead of him. I do not mind a young keeper with potential as our 2nd keeper but this club is owned by Kenwright so money is tight. Our priorities are CM or CF so signing a keeper on a free as our 2nd keeper could have been done instead. Personally, Howard is not a problem and he can still play in the highest level for another three/four years at least. All in all, the fee of this deal could have added to the fee of Kone for the signing of a younger striker.

Deulofeu – He is a short term signing but a good one. Loaning him is like Leeds and Sheff Wed loaning Barkley from us last year as we have no chance to sign him as it stands. However, we allegedly beat several top clubs for his signature so that is something we can cheer for. In long terms, we will not benefit from this signing but we have more option on the wing this coming season. We won't see Gueye any longer which is a good thing to start with.

pragmatic .. and as Shaka Hislop said they are really nothing more than squad players.

Spitting - I wasn't offered professional forms on the basis I couldn't gob to save my life. Whether trying to get rid of that salty water in my mouth or direct a big yock at someone ****ing directionless and often ended on myself. I used to envy those kids that could squirt spit.

If we're going to discuss Alcaraz and his spitting wouldn't it be best to do it in the thread about Alcaraz and not the transfer rumour one? I keep getting excited thinking we've been linked with someone cos of all the new posts when in reality its just a discussion on whether spitting is worse than punching

Martinez seems to imply he was spitting on the ground and caught the wrong player, after being abused. If that is true then its definitely not as bad as it sounds but really nothing to back that side of it up. having said that its strange to compare it coldly to someone punching someone. in both cases exactly how bad it was would boil down to levels of provocation and how pre-meditated it was. You could be charged with assault for spitting at someone in the street but you could be charged just abusing someone too. whether it was justifiable after provocation is crucial though. punching someone in the street with no provocation is much more likely to lead to a charge, so really how people feel personally about it really is just that, but are you really more likely to react to being spat at than being punched? Definitely think if he does it deliberately with no provocation at Everton then he should be on his way but saying there is nothing worse is not really sensible

Agreed. I think people should look at the incident again and revise there opinions, if they feel they can. Footballers spit all the time, and anyone who has played football at any level knows that the need to 'clear your throat' is frequent. The question should be was he deliberately aiming at the West Brom player, or did the West Brom player make more of it than was intended by Alcaraz? I remember at the time thinking,.He didn't mean that'...but its possible others may have a different opinion.

Yeah, but when Fowler snorted the line that time at the derby, Houllier said he done no such thing and was actually pretending to be a goat and eating the grass because its something they do in training. Managers will mostly always defend there players.

Anyway, spitting is fcuking dirty, he best not do that **** while playing for us.

one of those explanations sounds desperate and maybe even completely insulting to everyone watching. The other... maybe naïvely backing his player's version up, while demanding he apologises. Again impressed with Martinez but agree spitting is dirty, just confused how we got to discussing if its worse than physical assaults.

on transfer front... a bookie on talksport has said they expect Baines and Fellaini to go, just wondering if you were a bookie and thought something was likely to happen would you go and tell people to back it. Both staying.

If we're going to discuss Alcaraz and his spitting wouldn't it be best to do it in the thread about Alcaraz and not the transfer rumour one? I keep getting excited thinking we've been linked with someone cos of all the new posts when in reality its just a discussion on whether spitting is worse than punching

Agreed mate. Guilty here. :(

Lot of double standards over this. Spitting is bad, but so too is racially abusing your own players (which is what the most successful captain of this club did as manager at a lower league club ) as is getting caught up in the sectarian hatred of your supporters and butting someone in the face (as Duncan Ferguson did), as is smacking **** out your bird (as Pienaar has apparently been cautioned about).

In other words, it's a dangerous game taking the moral high ground. In this instance it's being highlighted ad nauseum by someone who wont accept Martinez as manager and uses anything and everything as a way of attacking him. I suspect if we had another manager they wouldn't give a shiny one about spitting.

:lol: never heard that before! he must have looked like a right **** coming up with that goat excuse.

Lot of double standards over this. Spitting is bad, but so too is racially abusing your own players (which is what the most successful captain of this club did as manager at a lower league club ) as is getting caught up in the sectarian hatred of your supporters and butting someone in the face (as Duncan Ferguson did), as is smacking **** out your bird (as Pienaar has apparently been cautioned about).

In other words, it's a dangerous game taking the moral high ground. In this instance it's being highlighted ad nauseum by someone who wont accept Martinez as manager and uses anything and everything as a way of attacking him. I suspect if we had another manager they wouldn't give a shiny one about spitting.

exactly. fine to talk about the spitting incident in isolation but comparing it to other incidents sounds like a worrying agenda

Don't listen to bookies . Last summer on talksport a guy from the men was talking about uniteds deals and he was asked about a few targets he was then asked about baines and he said I can see this one being the only deal to be wrapped up in a few weeks . In reality united didnt even make a bid . It's dragging on to long now he won't go and I don't think Fellaini will go . There is just not a lot of intrest in the players. Arsenal have to sign higuian or rooney first so I doubt they will be splashing out on him before addressing the main problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back