Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, we've bemoaned the fact that we didn't have a finisher, then we got one, & now his all round play is no good and all he can do is finish...lol

I think Moyes has always been a ‘paint by numbers’ manager, and with some success it has to be said. The pattern has been for Moyes to buy strikers in and initially says he wants goals but something happens after the first season which suggests otherwise.

The player usually has a seasons grace to play with a bit of freedom. I suspect that once a meaningful number of games has been played that the manager starts to look at the statistics and the patterns.

You can almost imagine him sitting the various strikers down and talking about improving the number of runs they make and ‘other’ contributions on the ball. The striker is sent out trying to up his stats rather than just thinking about scoring goals.

The system under Moyes does work for the team though, if the center forward drags the defenders away then players like Cahill, Fellaini and Osman can profit. I think it’s telling just how bad Cahill appeared to be when Jelavic was scoring freely.

I'd keep Jelavic but I'm also interested on how the gaffer will utilize Vic as Wigan were linked with him a few times so he might suit Bobby's plans.

There is some truth in this, but we would be left with a hole in the squad which £6m to £8m wouldn't fill. Look at the prices being paid for strikers at the moment: Cornelius went for £7.5m I think, Bony for £12.5m.... how mush was Van Wolfswinkel? Jovetic and Negredo both over £20m... we'd have to shift two or three more players (ie Gueye, Heitinga, Naismith) and hope to raise another £6m in the process before we could seriously begin bidding for a decent striker. We aren't going to even get the likes of Fletcher or Long for less than £15m.

Selling Jelavic might make sense for him at this point, but it doesn't for the club. Prices are always higher in the January window... thats when the likes of Newcastle, West Ham or Fulham will offer £10m+ for him and we'll have a better idea of what Kone, Anichebe, Velios and Deulofeu can do in terms of goalscoring.

I think we have to be realistic and see this through the eyes of other clubs. If I was looking at this from the outside I'd see a player who had (after his delayed start due to that hernia injury) a great four months at Everton in the back end of season 2011/12. I'd then be alarmed at the fall off in form for a full season and debate that maybe the league he'd come from may have been his right level. He's played well in a top European league for a very short time.

You look at the way we viewed Kone and the way many/most baulked at his £5/6M fee. And that was for a player with vast experience in the Dutch and Spanish top flight and a spell in Germany...and off the back of a very decent first season in the PL.

It's very subjective, but I cant imagine we'll get a bid higher than £6/7M for Jelavic if/when he does go.

He couldn't even finish last season though.

This! And some of his attempts at finishing were awful, one air kick v Southampton away springs to mind. Plus, the notion he missed these chances because he was "tired" due to the tactics of Moyes is absolutely ridiculous.

I think we have to be realistic and see this through the eyes of other clubs. If I was looking at this from the outside I'd see a player who had (after his delayed start due to that hernia injury) a great four months at Everton in the back end of season 2011/12. I'd then be alarmed at the fall off in form for a full season and debate that maybe the league he'd come from may have been his right level. He's played well in a top European league for a very short time.

You look at the way we viewed Kone and the way many/most baulked at his £5/6M fee. And that was for a player with vast experience in the Dutch and Spanish top flight and a spell in Germany...and off the back of a very decent first season in the PL.

It's very subjective, but I cant imagine we'll get a bid higher than £6/7M for Jelavic if/when he does go.

Kone will turn 30 this season, that was the main reason people were coughing at the fee.

That & maybe the fact that betweeon 2007 & 2011, during his time in Spain & Germany, he managed a total of 3 league goals........& you're wanting to push Jela out the door for £6m off the back of 1 poor season?

Kreuzer: "Jelavic would be exactly the right player for us. I heard that Everton's new manager wants to get rid of him." #EFC #HSV

Jelavic has been offered to HSV by his agent. Kreuzer wants to check possibilities of loan or permanent deal (paid in several installments).

doesnt look good for Jelavic

Kone will turn 30 this season, that was the main reason people were coughing at the fee.

That & maybe the fact that betweeon 2007 & 2011, during his time in Spain & Germany, he managed a total of 3 league goals........& you're wanting to push Jela out the door for £6m off the back of 1 poor season?

He had a bad time with injury in Spain and his time in the Dutch league with Roda and PSV saw him score 48 times in 116 games.

Soon to be 30 years old versus soon to be 28 years old isn't going to make the difference really even in sell on terms. They are both at the wrong end of their careers as top flight strikers.

Jelavic simply cant be defended as a top flight striker. Last year exposed the limits to his game. If you think we can hold out for more than what I said we could expect (or that he'll somehow stick around as a number 2 in a WC preparation year) then good luck with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back