Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't like to loose either of them, but I think oviedo could do a great job for us if Banies leaves and is good enough to be playing first team football in the PL.

So yeah it would be a loss but not the end of the world.

Can we be sure that United are even in for Baines. Their first bid was at the end of June. So why wait over a month just to come back in with a similar bid.

If the double bid is true, I think they're just trying their luck. If they manage to get both they will be pleased. But I think their priority is to get a midfielder in (Fellaini).

Hopefully we tell them to 'koff in terms of Baines, but I could see us negotiating over Fellaini.

I think it's too much money!

I don't mean they aren't worth that much -- on the contrary they are worth more to our team than we will get -- I mean it's too much money to spend wisely in the time we have left this window.

I would add that IMHO BOB knew this was on the cards hence he has got a list of players.
Sure. Transfers just never go as smoothly in reality as people imagine (which is weird because you need only look at all the high profile transfer rumours of this silly season to see that this crap often takes a LONG time and does not go smoothly).

Imagine you have 3-4 top targets. 1 works out (McCarthy most likely to spite everyone here) and the others fall through because the club values them too highly or they just don't want to come here (or want too much in wages). Imagine all the names people posted in this thread to replace our players don't work out.

Now you move on to your second targets. They were your second targets for a reason but since you've just sold your two best players and the fans are in an uproar you have to make some signings and bring in some new blood. Maybe you get one second choice and the rest are a no-go.

Now you are on your third choice targets and you have a couple of days left in the window and the fans are going nuts because you promised we'd re-invest all the money and you've only spent half of it. Who is feeling great about this now? Sometimes you get lucky with panic buys but for the most part it's not a great idea.

Point is that it's all well and good to FM it up but transfers are tricky (just ask our old manager) ... they take time and a lot of them fall through. Plus when everyone knows you have 40-50m burning a hole in your pocket do you think we're getting great value? We should finalize a deal for McCarthy before we sell anyone because ol' broke leg is upping his price by a few million as soon as we sell one/both.

You aren't going to get all your first choice (and probably not all your second or third). So do you then wait and buy in January or the next window? How do the fans feel about that? Or do you panic buy just to get in some new bodies in the hope we'll stop moaning about selling Felli and Baines?

When you miss out on your first/second choice and "talk yourself into" the third or fourth choice option because you need to do something now ... that's a great way to waste money and overpay for a player.

The Felli money we can probably spend wisely especially since a fair portion will likely go on McCarthy (I know a lot of people don't like the idea but what I mean by "wisely" is that RM has "scouted" McCarthy extensively so from his perspective it's an educated decision). Throw in Baines money too and it's a big ask to get the right transfers finalized in that amount of time (see Leroy "what's a stable?" Fer) for the right price.

This doesn't even address what it does to squad morale to sell them both. Or our squad performance to lose their valuable contributions. Or the damage of an increased perception that we're a selling club that buckles under any serious bid from a rich team. We'd be nuts to sell them both. 40-50m does not cover all of those problems.

Last edited:
We're not in a position to turn down £50m for the 2 given Baines' age and contract situation and Fellaini's want to go to a champions league team if he has the opportunity.

I think it's too much money!

I don't mean they aren't worth that much -- on the contrary they are worth more to our team than we will get -- I mean it's too much money to spend wisely in the time we have left this window.

Sure. Transfers just never go as smoothly in reality as people imagine (which is weird because you need only look at all the high profile transfer rumours of this silly season to see that this crap often takes a LONG time and does not go smoothly).

Imagine you have 3-4 top targets. 1 works out (McCarthy most likely to spite everyone here) and the others fall through because the club values them too highly or they just don't want to come here (or want too much in wages). Imagine all the names people posted in this thread to replace our players don't work out.

Now you move on to your second targets. They were your second targets for a reason but since you've just sold your two best players and the fans are in an uproar you have to make some signings and bring in some new blood. Maybe you get one second choice and the rest are a no-go.

Now you are on your third choice targets and you have a couple of days left in the window and the fans are going nuts because you promised we'd re-invest all the money and you've only spent half of it. Who is feeling great about this now? Sometimes you get lucky with panic buys but for the most part it's not a great idea.

Point is that it's all well and good to FM it up but transfers are tricky (just ask our old manager) ... they take time and a lot of them fall through. Plus when everyone knows you have 40-50m burning a hole in your pocket do you think we're getting great value? We should finalize a deal for McCarthy before we sell anyone because ol' broke leg is upping his price by a few million as soon as we sell one/both.

You aren't going to get all your first choice (and probably not all your second or third). So do you then wait and buy in January or the next window? How do the fans feel about that? Or do you panic buy just to get in some new bodies in the hope we'll stop moaning about selling Felli and Baines?

When you miss out on your first/second choice and "talk yourself into" the third or fourth choice option because you need to do something now ... that's a great way to waste money and overpay for a player.

The Felli money we can probably spend wisely especially since a fair portion will likely go on McCarthy (I know a lot of people don't like the idea but what I mean by "wisely" is that RM has "scouted" McCarthy extensively so from his perspective it's an educated decision). Throw in Baines money too and it's a big ask to get the right transfers finalized in that amount of time (see Leroy "what's a stable?" Fer) for the right price.

This doesn't even address what it does to squad morale to sell them both. Or our squad performance to lose their valuable contributions. Or the damage of an increased perception that we're a selling club that buckles under any serious bid from a rich team. We'd be nuts to sell them both. 40-50m does not cover all of those problems.

The obvious answer to all of this, is simply to not sell your star players at the last minute. Get the business done early, if any team approaches you at the death tell them to come back in January if they are serious.

At the end of the day, it is only 4 1/2 months until the window opens again.

The problem that we have is that everybody and his dog knows that our pathetic and inept board will not give the manager any funds until they sell assets first. Thus leaving us open to abuse and last minute bids for our star players, which if accepted, like you say leaves very little time to get replacements and damages squad morale, possibly to the point of disaster.

That's true - £40m would be the minimum i'd accept but £45m upwards then we really need to be selling.

We all know how tight Moyes is with money. I reckon he´ll stop short of offering even 35. In the end we´ll probably get about 17 mil each and have a miserable season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back