Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The summer 2013 Everton transfer rumourZ thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure Martinez has a list of players he wants and merely has to wait for money to come in for negotiations to start. Remember he's still probably assessing the squad as well waiting for money. He identified Deulofeu, Kone, and Robles right away and the club negotiated with about 3 different clubs all within the same time span. If Martinez has two weeks to spend money then I'm not too worried, if its August 31 then I will worry.

Luca Marrone? While I like his side burns I prefer Adem Ljajic ;)

Pretty sure the pluses FAR out weigh the loses.

Too right. Even the most rabid anti Moyes poster cant beat him up over his transfers over 11 years. They remind me of AC/DCs albums. Some are absolutely brilliant, most are solid and grow on you, but the occasional stinker has surfaced.

I would never "shank" a man over a comma, I was just being annoying, so I apologise.

Anyway Martinez needs men in the middle, have there been rumours to suggest this is where we are looking?
Good to know, I was starting to fear for my safety.

I think we should sell Fellaini, he doesn't have the technique required for the Martinez possession game. A player needs to be quick, agile, patient, while also having a good passing range to fit into the kind of style Martinez is looking for.

Last edited:

The question really is whether we actually have any money. If he was told budget was basically what we spent on who we brought in then he has more than made the right call. We were short on numbers for the squad and he has bolstered that. What I hope is there is money left over and he is waiting to see who he can get that will add extra quality rather than depth

Good to know, I was starting to fear for my safety.

I think we should sell Fellaini, he doesn't have the technique required for the Martinez possession game. A player needs to be quick, agile, patient, while also having a good passing range to fit into the kind of style Martinez is looking for.
See, I disagree with you there. I think Fellaini is pretty good with his feet and obviously is a big physical presence in midfield. The ones who seem to be struggling the most early on are our CBs. The ball moves too slowly across the back line and, certainly in the Valencia game, the net result was the same as it would have been under Moyes.

See, I disagree with you there. I think Fellaini is pretty good with his feet and obviously is a big physical presence in midfield. The ones who seem to be struggling the most early on are our CBs. The ball moves too slowly across the back line and, certainly in the Valencia game, the net result was the same as it would have been under Moyes.

THIS!

This is true, but our CB's had no options in defensive midfield areas, because Gibson and Fellaini where not intelligent enough to drop back into the pockets to receive the ball off them.

This is true, but our CB's had no options in defensive midfield areas, because Gibson and Fellaini where not intelligent enough to drop back into the pockets to receive the ball off them.
I had thought this tbh. It's all part of adapting to the playing style, I accept, but it was so turgid against Valencia and they where so much better at it than we where it makes me wonder.

Gibson was doing it quite well for most of the pre-season games... but he was poo against Valencia.

I love Fellaini, but i'd sell him if we got offered the right money.
He, on his day, is a truly magnificent footballer, United and City last year, he was unplayable, and just bossed the game, it's just a shame that with those big games, he seems to go missing in the smaller games, Norwich was one which particularly stood out last year. I know every player has a bad day now and then, but i can't help feel that, if we look back on the summer, and we've brought in 7 (based on the assumption, that we bring in 3, with the Fellaini money), and Fellaini and possibly Heitinga are the only leavers, i'd be happy with the squad depth.
Martinez has shown he's going to use some youth this year, so i expect to see Vellios, Stones and Barkley get more time, so it's looking bright for me.

He'd be a great loss, but we'd strengthen as a result, so i'd be very happy!

I had thought this tbh. It's all part of adapting to the playing style, I accept, but it was so turgid against Valencia and they where so much better at it than we where it makes me wonder.

Mobility in the defensive area of midfield is what we are lacking, we also need players with a good appreciation for space, and they need to be technically capable of keeping the ball in tight areas and get themselves out of trouble with quick feet.

People are all over Osman on here, but I can see him and Pienaar playing a big role in Martinez teams. They are probably the only two players we have with the qualities I mentioned, although, as we know.. they are not defensive players.

Last edited:
Martinez signed him when in League 1 and he's now wanted by the likes of Arsenal. I'd have him next to Jags in our side too. Ridiculous the way you're trying to have a go at Martinez every chance you get.

Papertalks. Did Wenger say he wants him?

And I didn't have a go at Martinez. I have just said Williams would not get to our first 11, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back