2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I do. Carlo will want another. If we sell the boy Kean that is. Do you think we'll spend less than 20m on a striker?
Yes absolutely I do. Partially because we are going to have a tough time finding someone worth over that who is interested because DCL is very good and will get a lot of minutes.

We're off track here. Play the young players more! No more signing meh 27 year olds!

I don't mean winning every game I meant the way we played which actually had a possibility of continuing to win games. It wasn't the same in December when we were also winning.

Godfrey was signed having already played a season in the PL and spent on like he was a first team member. Not to mention as much as I think we're going overboard I think he should start the rest of the season to see how good he is.

Richarlison and DCL played tons under Silva too? I don't understand that part. Giving a player a debut and never using them again means nothing. Moyes have Ross his debut. Did Moyes do a lot to grow Ross as a player?

This is probably the wrong thread because I don't even think Small should play now but I can see why he'd think long and hard about committing to 3 years here.

There's a lot in that.

I can get on board with the style, we were scoring goals for fun. I just don't think it was sustainable though. It was based on a world class player James being fit and DCL being in the form of his life. I don't think either was sustainable at that level. There is a question as to whether our level B should have been higher though. That was as good as I ever remember us though that start to the season, and so yes that should be the bar, but it may take a bit longer to get too, especially if you have the levels of injuries we have.

I am not having a pop at you for your Godfrey view, you're entitled to your view, but he is a young player. Yes he has had 1 years experience in the league, but by any measure thats not a great deal. Calvert Lewin was in and out under Silva, and the easy play would have been to get a more experienced player in, but Ancelotti went with a younger player on arrival. Nobody can say to me he hasn't come on leaps and bounds under Ancelotti as well. Still a long way to go, but a lot of positives. So I dont think it's as cut and dried as "he doesn't like youth" it equivalent viewpoints people have. I'll be honest, I'm surprised how many younger players have been given a chance.

It's a fair point about there being a difference between giving a debut and developing players. It's too early to say he isn't developing them though isn't it? We would need to judge that over a 2-3 year period I think. Look you might be right, but I'm not sure we can say with any certainty. I always try to give people 3 years, and then have a look. Anything other than that and I think you see a lot of churn and volatility to it's hard to see. What I'll say is if we are sitting here in 2 years and most of the young players have stalled, I will be more open to criticism of him. But at present, I think he has played and developed younger players pretty well overall.

As for Small, I can understand why he would consider leaving. Hell I can't be a hypocrite, I have been saying for a long time that younger players in Britain need to stop bemoaning opportunity and seize the day to find it. We have at times not pushed players through over recent years. It has taken Brands a bit of time to clear the pathways, and looks like he is only starting to do so now. But in his situation, I would find it odd for him to go, and it looks like he will look to stay. We have given lots of young players exposure. We have regularly included them in match day squads. Small has already made a debut at a very young age (younger than most teams have ever played a player). He's played with the 1st team squad already.

If he goes, I'd hope he'd go to a championship team where he will be getting a chance to play. If he goes to a team for a big sign on and higher wages, to me that would be a real waste.

Bit weird how he doesn't even get on the bench ahead of some youth prospects whose names ive never seen before

Begs the question though if you aren't willing to play those guys in dead rubbers are you going to be in games that will matter for winning the competition?
Gives them experience and gives Carlo to see what they’re made of. It’s on a case by case basis obviously and for small he has digne who has another 6 years or so left in him so I can see why he would be concerned

There isn't such a clear pathway to first team action at his position, because we're not shouldering Digne aside for him.

It's like when Barry Sanders got stuck behind Thurman Thomas at Oklahoma State. Unless you're as precocious as Rooney, you're not displacing an a solid player or future all-time great that's already performing at a high level (not that I'm saying that about Digne). You're hoping for an opportunity due to injury or a Ronaldinho-level collapse of form.
Not a scooby what that means

Not a scooby what that means

Barry Sanders is a Hall of Fame running back that's in the discussion for the greatest of all time.

Thurman Thomas is a Hall of Fame running back that is not in that discussion.

Sanders turned out to be unambiguously better the moment he took over the starting job in college after Thomas left for the NFL...but no sane coach would replace a proven starting running back of that caliber with an obviously talented but unproven commodity.

That's basically the shape of Small's problem.

So, he thinks he’s made it? He’s a 16 yo 3rd choice LB.

Who does he think he is?

And he wants a move to another club where he’ll be a 16 yo 3rd choice LB?

I assume his agent is dense or greedy.

So Thierry decides he doesn't want to play for Benitez. Cant say I blame him.

So, he thinks he’s made it? He’s a 16 yo 3rd choice LB.

Who does he think he is?

And he wants a move to another club where he’ll be a 16 yo 3rd choice LB?

I assume his agent is dense or greedy.

If he has a 'big I am' attitude at 16 then imagine what he's like when he's actually proven he's any good.
Don't wanna play for the club?...see ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back