2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean it's more like being an apprentice in a firm and then jumping ship hoping you'll get taken on as senior employee elsewhere. Big risk but can't say I'm bothered as we just buy players these days if we need them.
It's not really that much of a risk.

If I was good enough at something to be a professional at 16 it wouldn't be. I was just too useless for that. The age doesn't change it for me.

He hasnt even signed a pro contract. So he isnt even a pro footballer. And there are very very few 16 year old footballers who get to anywhere resembling "The Top". And if he is in that tiny elite of 16 year olds who will make "The Top", well, fair play. But somehow I doubt it.

Imagine not liking my company and deciding to work for a new one? Yeah it's not that hard.
There's a big difference between choosing to go somewhere else and refusing to turn in at the company that's paying your salary. All he had to do was inform them he wouldn't be renewing his contract and see out his time, while negotiating with his new club. He's gone AWOL. That shows a lack of respect and a bad attitude.

I kind of felt this was on the cards after he was fast tracked to first team football.

Like they were already worried about him leaving so gave him minutes in a ploy to make him stay.

Haven't seen a great deal of him but looks impressive going forward, haven't seen enough of him defending.

Anyway if he chooses to leave then good luck to him and I hope his career tanks and he ends up a hobo performing handjobs for sandwiches.

He hasnt even signed a pro contract. So he isnt even a pro footballer. And there are very very few 16 year old footballers who get to anywhere resembling "The Top". And if he is in that tiny elite of 16 year olds who will make "The Top", well, fair play. But somehow I doubt it.
You're misunderstanding me. He's out of contract and he's entitled to sign his next one where he pleases just as anyone else can leave a job and go elsewhere when they please so long as there is demand. It has nothing to do with entitlement or any of the other stuff people are gonna try and say. It's his life and career.

There's a big difference between choosing to go somewhere else and refusing to turn in at the company that's paying your salary. All he had to do was inform them he wouldn't be renewing his contract and see out his time, while negotiating with his new club. He's gone AWOL. That shows a lack of respect and a bad attitude.
Aren't the contracts before they turn pro like a couple hundred bucks a week and lunch? Not sure I feel he needs to show some great respect for that.

So as I was saying not much of a risk

Let's case this one out.

1) Stay at Everton. Sign the contract Everton offers. Go out on loan.
2) Go to a behemoth, signing their contract. Go out on loan.
3) Sign at a mid-table club with a hole at LB. Try to crack the lineup over the experienced first-team player they also bring in.

I can't see how #1 makes sense, as it's probably dominated in terms of the paycheck by #2. I can see him wanting #3, but that seems a little risky to me. I can see him firing his agent over wanting to go in the #3 direction and being told 'no'.

You're misunderstanding me. He's out of contract and he's entitled to sign his next one where he pleases just as anyone else can leave a job and go elsewhere when they please so long as there is demand. It has nothing to do with entitlement or any of the other stuff people are gonna try and say. It's his life and career.

Is he out of contract? I'm seeing from multiple sources that he can sign a professional contract on August 1, but that his present cut-rate contract expires in 2022. We could make him see it out, though that would be dumb since we can probably get a meaningful fee for him.

Let's case this one out.

1) Stay at Everton. Sign the contract Everton offers. Go out on loan.
2) Go to a behemoth, signing their contract. Go out on loan.
3) Sign at a mid-table club with a hole at LB. Try to crack the lineup over the experienced first-team player they also bring in.

I can't see how #1 makes sense, as it's probably dominated in terms of the paycheck by #2. I can see him wanting #3, but that seems a little risky to me. I can see him firing his agent over wanting to go in the #3 direction and being told 'no'.

Is he out of contract? I'm seeing from multiple sources that he can sign a professional contract on August 1, but that his present cut-rate contract expires in 2022. We could make him see it out, though that would be dumb since we can probably get a meaningful fee for him.
Yeah I got confused he's not out yet.

The option I'd assume he's going to take is going to a club that develops players at a high level.

Of course. But my suggestion to a child would be to sign one at a top English club. If he has overtures from bigger clubs, fine. But as a child, he has proven nothing because he isnt in that tiny elite of 16 year old worldies.

Football is littered with players who have failed to make the grade after showing promise. I worked with 2 of them. One captained England Schoolboys as a 16 year old. Didnt make the grade at Bristol Rovers. The other played for Bristol City, (once), ironically as a 16 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back