2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I got confused he's not out yet.

The option I'd assume he's going to take is going to a club that develops players at a high level.

He's either pushing for that, or getting to a lesser club where he's the #2 behind a #1 with an injury history so he can get onto the pitch.

I mean it's more like being an apprentice in a firm and then jumping ship hoping you'll get taken on as senior employee elsewhere. Big risk but can't say I'm bothered as we just buy players these days if we need them.
I think it is a big risk for the club that signs him, they will have to offer him big money even for a three year contract and big money in compensation to Everton, three or four £M for a seventeen year old with potential, absolutely no risk for Small he’ll bank a lot of money and could end up being a very rich man, Everton could bank a good fee for a lad with no real experience, I’d say it is the buying club taking the risk, and having seen the lad quite a few times it is a big risk.

Of course. But my suggestion to a child would be to sign one at a top English club. If he has overtures from bigger clubs, fine. But as a child, he has proven nothing because he isnt in that tiny elite of 16 year old worldies.

Football is littered with players who have failed to make the grade after showing promise. I worked with 2 of them. One captained England Schoolboys as a 16 year old. Didnt make the grade at Bristol Rovers. The other played for Bristol City, (once), ironically as a 16 year old.
Which is why he's going to a place that will help him make it presumably. We just appointed a manager who was around with the dodo so I'd be surprised if he's going to revolutionize or even give an f about the youth setup.

Of course. But my suggestion to a child would be to sign one at a top English club. If he has overtures from bigger clubs, fine. But as a child, he has proven nothing because he isnt in that tiny elite of 16 year old worldies.

Football is littered with players who have failed to make the grade after showing promise. I worked with 2 of them. One captained England Schoolboys as a 16 year old. Didnt make the grade at Bristol Rovers. The other played for Bristol City, (once), ironically as a 16 year old.

I coached the Man United u16s captain, when he was 18, after moving to New Zealand for 12months to find footy and it not working out for him.

Imagine not liking my company and deciding to work for a new one? Yeah it's not that hard.

There are ways to go about a move without being a total tit. Ultimately the club have coached him for years and paid him a fortune to play a game. A little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.

The other thing is this will do him no favours in future. That sort of attitude won't get him far in terms of his own development, and also in terms of the chances others are likely to give him.

If he does have a year left on his contract I'd get him in the gulag for the remainder.

I think it is a big risk for the club that signs him, they will have to offer him big money even for a three year contract and big money in compensation to Everton, three or four £M for a seventeen year old with potential, absolutely no risk for Small he’ll bank a lot of money and could end up being a very rich man, Everton could bank a good fee for a lad with no real experience, I’d say it is the buying club taking the risk, and having seen the lad quite a few times it is a big risk.
Would we really get 3-4 million for him .. is it compensation from the buying club ?

There are ways to go about a move without being a total tit. Ultimately the club have coached him for years and paid him a fortune to play a game. A little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.

The other thing is this will do him no favours in future. That sort of attitude won't get him far in terms of his own development, and also in terms of the chances others are likely to give him.

If he does have a year left on his contract I'd get him in the gulag for the remainder.
There's no issue with him taking care of himself. He's got a year left and we're not going to play him anyway so he's not missing out on a ton.

Lad gets one debut match, doesn't do much and he thinks he's Roberto carlos. If he's got the kind of attitude where he thinks he can skip training before he's even properly joined the first team then we should happily get rid. 90% or more players his age don't make the Premier league, he will probably end up at Marine or something.

Honestly, never known the like

Wanting a realistic path to first team football isn’t being a billy big bollox imo. Skipping training is poor though.

Its a shame our supposed best youth prospect is in a position we have fully covered.

Everton that

Wanting a realistic path to first team football isn’t being a billy big bollox imo. Skipping training is poor though.

Its a shame our supposed best youth prospect is in a position we have fully covered.

Everton that
It'd be one thing if we were regularly doing that and he still left. But even our most successful young player of recent years saw 25m worth of crap bought because they didn't trust him. This doesn't happen if we conduct ourselves in a smarter way.

It'd be one thing if we were regularly doing that and he still left. But even our most successful young player of recent years saw 25m worth of crap bought because they didn't trust him. This doesn't happen if we conduct ourselves in a smarter way.

But you're consistently missing (or just ignoring) the main point here. Having a higher ambition is fine and to be applauded. Refusing to train with the team that you are contracted to, and at 16, makes him out to be an arrogant bell, or - more likely - he has been got to by an unscrupulous agent who is advising him to do this (so to line the agent's pockets).

There are other ways you can show your ambition - and your honour as a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back