2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he goes to Arsenal or United then he has even less chance of breaking through than here. Shaw and Tierney aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Someone is giving him some very poor advice.

Yep.

Sign a new contract with a clearly defined route to the first team, go out on loan, break in.

Or go and join a Championship club or whatever.

His current course of action makes little sense.

Who was the lad who scored the wonder goal for Tranmere,went to Bayern then to oblivion? Risky strategy,but then that's what teenagers do.

I'm not really bothered. If we wanted him to not force a move we would treat our young players like they matter. The club needs to get it together. But instead we hired Benitez.

Ok, so let me just see if I've got your argument right here:

EFC, with its extensive academy set-up, doesn't care about young players, and as proof it hired Benitez.

Righto.

He is a commodity that will be exploited up to him and his to get as much out of it as possible. The amount of professional sportsman when retire end up in therapy, he is going to need a fair chunk of wodge. And depending on his other skills that will able him to be employable after football he may need lots more wodge.

Anyway, some may say it's karma...

I dont think hes trying to have a pop at the armed forces mate, but rightly or wrongly we place a huge importance on young footballers as a society, in honesty far beyond what many can comprehend.

And yes, without any shadow of a doubt he should turn up to training. That's a big red flag for any team to me. If we were linked with a lad who was doing that, I'd be a bit alarmed.

What I dont get, is that if hes out of contract he can just leave anyway. So I dont get why hes staying away. It makes me wonder if theres more going on here.

If you were him and were meant to report for training on July 5th, knowing your contract would expire on 1st August...

Hes either trying to rinse more money out of us or doesnt want to get injured before signing elsewhere...

Is it worth it for him to risk injury for 3 weeks or so training which could scupper his contract elsewhere?

as @Eggs would say and it has merit, if a youngster is good enough then they'll be given chances but they have to earn the right, We have a very good French international at LB and Small should want to learn from him not get cheesed off he can't displace him at 16years old. Crazy by the young lad.

If you were him and were meant to report for training on July 5th, knowing your contract would expire on 1st August...

Hes either trying to rinse more money out of us or doesnt want to get injured before signing elsewhere...

Is it worth it for him to risk injury for 3 weeks or so training which could scupper his contract elsewhere?

Yes I mean there is the issue of an injury, but if he's not doing a proper pre-season (and that's his intention) he won't be that fit if he moves on.

My perception would be an agent is perhaps trying to tell him to make it acrimonious with Everton and maybe they will lower their demands when his new club come in. I know before it goes to arbitration there is an opportunity for both clubs to come to an agreement. While arbitration fees tend to be lower, they do often contain fairly hefty sell on %, normally around the 20-25% mark (I think Harvey Elliot for example went for 6m but has a sell on of around 25%).

If the view of a buying club is, we could sell this lad for £20m quid but we have to pay £5m of that back to Everton, plus say £3-£4m up front it becomes a less attractive deal. The overall cost is around £9m quid and you will clear £15m from it. But you will have a hefty agents fee, young player sign on fee and probably first team level wages on top for 3 years and when you start factoring that it, it probably means you don't "break even" in real terms. And that's with him being a reasonable success and selling for £20m.

That's just my theory though. If he wants to make a position that Everton should let him go, when he knows he can just leave next month, it's a bit of an irrational move.

as @Eggs would say and it has merit, if a youngster is good enough then they'll be given chances but they have to earn the right, We have a very good French international at LB and Small should want to learn from him not get cheesed off he can't displace him at 16years old. Crazy by the young lad.

Someones probably offered £20k a week 3 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back