Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
The players I've listed are either a) always injured or b) are hardly used.

Them players are all on big wages, I'd rather recruit younger players who have a chance of improving than giving millions to proven [Poor language removed].

Howard is hardly ever been injured and is always first choice which kind of proves my point.

Of the others Pienaar and McGeady have suffered this season but last year were fine. Distin has a very good level of fitness it's just his form this year that's let him down unlike Alcaraz who's hardly ever fit and when he is isn't good enough anyway (but both are out of contract this summer and will leave). Osman plays when he's fit and up to this season had only missed about a dozen games in the last 4 years, last season he featured in every game. Hibbert was only ever seen as back up for any defensive position and has never been on a big deal so it made sense to keep him as cover while younger players could progress and in the future take his place.

All besides McGeady are getting on and coming to an end of their careers but some still have plenty to offer, like I said it's about priorities and ours isn't a new keeper it further up the pitch.

I'm surpised you missed Kone out of the list though, imagine if Lukaku got a long term injury and we were left with him as back up for 6 months!

Howard is hardly ever been injured and is always first choice which kind of proves my point.

Of the others Pienaar and McGeady have suffered this season but last year were fine. Distin has a very good level of fitness it's just his form this year that's let him down unlike Alcaraz who's hardly ever fit and when he is isn't good enough anyway (but both are out of contract this summer and will leave). Osman plays when he's fit and up to this season had only missed about a dozen games in the last 4 years, last season he featured in every game. Hibbert was only ever seen as back up for any defensive position and has never been on a big deal so it made sense to keep him as cover while younger players could progress and in the future take his place.

All besides McGeady are getting on and coming to an end of their careers but some still have plenty to offer, like I said it's about priorities and ours isn't a new keeper it further up the pitch.

I'm surpised you missed Kone out of the list though, imagine if Lukaku got a long term injury and we were left with him as back up for 6 months!
I knew I was missing someone! Add Kone to it.

You say a keeper isn't our priority, but Howard has made so many individual errors this year that have cost us so many points.

For a manager to come out and say that it isn't a priority after Everton being top of the individual errors table is worrying.

Tim Howard is well boss.
Too bad he costs us far more points than he saves
Bin the bearded buffoon

http://www.espnfc.us/everton/story/...stay-everton-no-1-as-roberto-martinez-content

Tim Howard to stay Everton No. 1 as Roberto Martinez content with keepers
i

Tim Howard will stay in his role as Everton No. 1 next season, according to manager Roberto Martinez.
LIVERPOOL -- Everton will stick with Tim Howard next season after manager Roberto Martinez ruled out signing a new goalkeeper this summer.

The U.S. international has had an inconsistent season, but both he and Martinez have previously dismissed reports linking him with a return to Major League Soccer.

Howard, 36, has said repeatedly that he plans to stay at Everton until his contract expires in 2018 and then retire after that year's World Cup in Russia.

Martinez tried without success to sign a goalkeeper in January as Howard was recovering from a calf injury.

But with the former Manchester United man back to full fitness, Everton plan to go into next season with the four keepers now on their books -- Howard, Joel Robles and youngsters Jindrich Stanek and Russell Griffiths.

Asked if he would look to sign a goalkeeper this summer, Martinez said: "No. The goalkeeping situation is clear.

"We have Tim Howard, Joel Robles, Jindrich Stanek and Russell Griffiths. They're going to be the four goalkeepers we'll work with next season. We're really strong in that position."

Everton boss Roberto Martinez speaks ahead of Saturday's clash with Sunderland.
Martinez, though, has had talks with chairman Bill Kenwright to plan transfer activity this summer, with the club looking to strengthen in "three or four positions."

The manager said: "We've sat down. But we haven't had the opportunity to go into real details with figures.

"I think that where we are now, we have the idea of becoming very strong next season. We want to use this campaign to build for success next season. It's very important. That means we need to keep hold of all the good performers we've had this campaign.

"We've identified three positions, probably four positions, in which we need to strengthen in order to help the players we have. That's where we are.

"It's important that, in fighting or the next nine points, we set good standards in order to finish the season strongly before we plan for any future squad."

There is a possibility that Martinez may have to plan for an early start to next season if Everton qualify for Europe via the Fair Play League.

England are in contention gain an extra place in next season's Europa League through UEFA's Fair Play standings -- and it is likely to go to either the Toffees or West Ham.

The top three leagues in UEFA's Fair Play rankings get the bonus European place, with England currently lying third, behind the Republic of Ireland and Netherlands.

Teams who qualify for the Europa League via the Fair Play standings enter the competition in the first qualifying round -- with the first leg taking place on July 2.

Martinez said: "The Fair Play League is something I don't want to think about, because over the years, there have been a lot of twists and turns that you can't really control.

"I don't want to waste any time on that. Whatever happens, we'll take it."

Where's my sarcasm font...

Yay!

Joke. Unless Robles is first choice we are building next season's foundations on sand. Constant uneasiness in the defense, uncertainty under high balls, goals conceded from direct free kicks, and woeful distribution. Martinez has just guaranteed all those things for another season. Good luck getting top 4 on that.

..... and rightly so. Everton's No 1 for at least two more years. An Everton keeper record holder who will be given the chance to solidify his legendary status at the club.

He probably will start tim next year but that article hardly says that Robles won't play. All the quote says is he won't bring someone in. If Robles is as great as everyone in this thread suggests why would we sign a new keeper?

He probably will start tim next year but that article hardly says that Robles won't play. All the quote says is he won't bring someone in. If Robles is as great as everyone in this thread suggests why would we sign a new keeper?
I seriously do hope he is. Not convinced by him at all from what i've seen of him so far. He didn't however deserve to be dropped when Howard was fit again, but Robles just makes me nervous. Some people are going to say Howard makes people nervous and i can understand the thinking there; Howard is a top keeper who is just having an inconsistent season.

Im confident Howard will prove his critics wrong next season.

Robles isn't good enough pal and won't be Howards long term successor, what is interesting though is not bring in a young keeper like Nyland to put pressure on Howard. Makes me think they already believe they've got the future number one in either Stanek or Griffiths and they'll step up soon.

I've not heard much about Stanek but I've read good reports on Griffiths in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back