Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard logic for this thread, liverpool hit the post and Robles gets credit.

Ward-Prowse hits a free kick wide and Howard gets slated.

It's great the way him wondering off his in the Derby just like Krasnodor gets airbrushed out of history because thankfully Sterling can't finish simple chances as well as the two goal line clearances from Jags and Stones against Palace after unforced errors by Robles.

But some idiot tried to blame Howard for being out of position for a shot that never HAPPENED against Keiv, the reasoning was if the player had not had scored a world class goal and tried another different shot Howard was in the wrong place!!

You really couldn't make madness like that up could you.

Standard logic for this thread, liverpool hit the post and Robles gets credit.

Ward-Prowse hits a free kick wide and Howard gets slated.
Standard logic for this thread, Howard throws the ball into his own goal 40 times and to joey and Dougie he's world class.

Robles saves shots and catches crosses and he's crap.

Standard logic for this thread, Howard throws the ball into his own goal 40 times and to joey and Dougie he's world class.

Eric are you still judging Howard from his Man Utd days? I've never seen him throw one ball into his own net since we signed him and I reckon I've seen at least 80%+ of his games for us and will have read the reports for all of them?

He's no DeGee Eric but he's the best we (Everton) have got by a long chalk.

Eric are you still judging Howard from his Man Utd days? I've never seen him throw one ball into his own net since we signed him and I reckon I've seen at least 80%+ of his games for us and will have read the reports for all of them?

I haven't watched Howard properly in about 10 years if I'm honest Dougie. I'm too busy watching United games on a stream from Mumbai.

Do you read my post on TH?
Never a class keeper always been a good shot stopper, never in the all round keeper we now need eg someone as a keeper who can dominate his box!
Every time we concede a corner it's heart in the mouth time with him in goal!

It's great the way him wondering off his in the Derby just like Krasnodor gets airbrushed out of history because thankfully Sterling can't finish simple chances as well as the two goal line clearances from Jags and Stones against Palace after unforced errors by Robles.

But some idiot tried to blame Howard for being out of position for a shot that never HAPPENED against Keiv, the reasoning was if the player had not had scored a world class goal and tried another different shot Howard was in the wrong place!!

You really couldn't make madness like that up could you.
It was the other goals he let in Doug - his form did recover towards the end of the season, but his positioning, and coming for crosses on free kicks and mainly corners that worries me!

Do you read my post on TH?
Never a class keeper always been a good shot stopper, never in the all round keeper we now need eg someone as a keeper who can dominate his box!
Every time we concede a corner it's heart in the mouth time with him in goal!

Does anyone have the actual count of goals that came directly off a corner kick?
..or a next level where we made the clearance only to have the ball played back in?

corners+and+goals+big+4+version+2.png

Does pushing the ball directly to opposition strikers in front of the goal count then? Like he's done about 200 times this season?

If i am reading that right:
If a team had 0 corners it equaled 1 goal on average per match.
If the team had 1 corner it averaged slightly more.
Etc...
I am not sure what conclusion you can glean from that chart except if a team has 20 corners they dont score.
Its so sporadic for the EPL that I feel the corner kick increases the chance to score a goal (minus the 10+ corners in a game then it appears to move the needle..)

If i am reading that right:
If a team had 0 corners it equaled 1 goal on average per match.
If the team had 1 corner it averaged slightly more.
Etc...
I am not sure what conclusion you can glean from that chart except if a team has 20 corners they dont score.
Its so sporadic for the EPL that I feel the corner kick increases the chance to score a goal (minus the 10+ corners in a game then it appears to move the needle..)

It was from a piece highlighting that corners in general are a waste of time.

http://www.soccerbythenumbers.com/2011/05/why-goal-value-of-corners-is-almost.html

A while back, I wrote about the goal value of corners. Turns out that more corners don't equal more goals. Across the big leagues, the correlation between corners and goals is essentially 0 (it's strongest in the EPL at .06, and weakest in Serie A and La Liga at less than .01). The graphical representation of this pattern tells the story, keeping in mind that the average number of goals a team scores per match is around 1.3 across leagues and seasons.

So, statistically speaking, the offensive "value" of corners seems to be slim to none. Similarly, match outcomes appear to be unaffected by corners. Assuming that earning corners is an indicator of offensive pressure, shouldn't teams that generate lots of corners also be teams that generate more goals? What gives?

One of the issues with the kind of analysis above, of course, is these data are based on match totals. As such, they are not designed to tell us the odds that any one corner actually yields a goal - they are simply match totals "macro-level data", so to speak - that are aggregated over the course of an entire match.

To dig a little more into the goal value of corners, what we ideally would also want is more information about the micro-level of play; that is, what exactly happened after any one corner was taken and whether it yielded a goal. More specifically, we want to know what the odds are that any one corner kick ends up with a team putting the ball in the back of the net.

So to get a better handle on this issue, the good folks at StatDNA generously dug into their treasure trove of in-match data and helped me to calculate shots and goals scored from corners for a reasonably-sized sample of about 12-14 Premier League matches from this season. Shots and goals created from this particular match situation are defined here as occurring within three touches of a corner.

We can think of goals produced from corners as a simple chain of events: corners lead to shots, and shots lead to goals (of course, some corners are direct shots and thus some goals are directly scored from corners). So I wanted the know the following:
  • What proportion of corners actually produces shots on goal?
  • What proportion of shots created from corners produces goals?
  • And overall, what is the ratio of corners to goals?
Of course, we would expect some slippage along the way. Not every corner will produce a shot on goal, and not every shot on goal will go in. As a consequence, the ratio of corners to goals is likely to be smaller than 1. "But how how much smaller?", inquiring minds will want to know. And where does most of the slippage occur?

In case anybody cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back