Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Howard had a terrible season and is now a year older, and Robles shakes like a leaf. It's like having Richard Wright and Ian Turner all over again, pathetic!

Always makes me laugh this phrase.

Like he has aged so significantly in the 4 weeks since we last saw him he is now struggling.

Have you actually seen him. He is in the best shape of his life physically and its quite common for goalkeepers to play well into their late 30's.

Like he has aged so significantly in the 4 weeks since we last saw him he is now struggling.

Have you actually seen him. He is in the best shape of his life physically and its quite common for goalkeepers to play well into their late 30's.

He hasn't been playing well in his early thirties so I wouldn't expect him to start now!

I agree common for great Goalkeepers- TH has or never will be a great goalkeeper- just once a very good shot stopper!

......because we watch our players for 90mins, week in week out we see everything, warts and all. It's worth taking this into consideration when judging any of our players and comparing to others that we mainly see highlighted on TV. Howard has been a fine signing but last season his standards dropped and he was fortunate to get his place back after injury. I'm still ok with him being our goalie, although RM will need to consider a replacement in the next couple of seasons.

......because we watch our players for 90mins, week in week out we see everything, warts and all. It's worth taking this into consideration when judging any of our players and comparing to others that we mainly see highlighted on TV. Howard has been a fine signing but last season his standards dropped and he was fortunate to get his place back after injury. I'm still ok with him being our goalie, although RM will need to consider a replacement in the next couple of seasons.
Next couple of hours more like!lol

We all know that TH will be picked and picked again and again unless injured. Robles will never play but sit on the bench.

Joey, for me RM can't hold a candle to Harry.
Spot on its a myth that the Catt just went out , and blew money he fetched the youngsters and reserves in - That side that was the best ever had a list off the top of my head Tommy Wright - Joe Royle - Colin Harvey - Alan Whittle - Jimmy Husband - John Hurst - Capt Labone - Roger Kenyon - Andy Rankin all came via the reserves/youth set up - the two stars on big signing on fees were - Alan Ball - and Howard Kendall - Gordon West - Keith Newton { crap} others in the squad were bargain buys Ray Wilson, Sandy Brown, and the biggest bargain of them all Johnny Morrissey!

Sorry Doug but that's just plain common sense - would you drop a striker who has scored a goal for three games on the bounce????
Ruddy was a no 2 DM sent him packing to Scotland. England call up - now back in the prem great keeper - you cannot persist in playing has beens ,and I am not just picking on TH - Barry comes under that category too imo every manager will play favourites, and that may cost him his job -
Robles should have had is run after three clean sheets as TH return early on cost us points the Leicester home game anyone could see other than our Manager TH had a mare of a game - By now if Robles had a run we would all know if he was up to it or not -
Just reading Colin Harvey s autobiography Doug, he had a very bad game v West Brom home and thought that's it in the reserves again Manager Harry Catterick who was a big fan of Harvey sent him to play in the A team the following week without a conversation!
The CAT was a very ruthless Manager who took no names - He heard one winger in Alex scot bragging on having a great game, and dropped him so he would try harder, and it worked - RM has to stop this Mr Nice Guy attitude, and be more ruthless with our older established players and TH is deffo one of them!

Joey if Kone some how managed to get 3 goals in 3 games and Lukaku returned from injury I'd still rather see Rom play the forth game, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that on here either. Managers and teams always have a hierarchy of preference now, there's to much money and pressure at stake to risk not playing you best players.

Robles has had plenty of opportunities to convince Martinez and his backroom staff he's capable of a run in the first team, they've had in there squad for the last 2 and a half seasons. Their minds are made up on his capablities, faults and weaknesses and judging by his lack of matches he's not convinced anyone. He's 25 and has never had a consistent run of games anywhere he's played for a reason, it can't always be because Martinez has a crush on Howard. He's clearly not good enough but supporters don't need to have to witness it first hand to realise that as the manager and staff have no real faith in him.

As for Catterick and Harvey, well that era dissappearded a long time ago. The last one who came close to having that sort of authority over players was Ferguson and even in his later years lost a grip on that sort of control of things.

Need to get with modern football old timer!!!

He hasn't been playing well in his early thirties so I wouldn't expect him to start now!
In his early 30's he has been voted in the top 10 for the Worlds Best Goalkeeper on three occasions and broke Everton's Premier League record for clean sheets in a season with 16 or 17 (forget which) and was only two games short of equaling Southall's consecutive appearances record.

I agree that this upcoming season should be his last as Everton No 1, but to say he hasn't been playing well in his 30's is just ridiculous. You've just took a few errors from this past season and decided to judge his entire Everton career based on that. You're not the first and its natural but don't be so blinded to say he hasn't been playing well in his 30's. Howard has been a good goalkeeper for Everton on a whole.

Joey if Kone some how managed to get 3 goals in 3 games and Lukaku returned from injury I'd still rather see Rom play the forth game, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that on here either. Managers and teams always have a hierarchy of preference now, there's to much money and pressure at stake to risk not playing you best players.

Robles has had plenty of opportunities to convince Martinez and his backroom staff he's capable of a run in the first team, they've had in there squad for the last 2 and a half seasons. Their minds are made up on his capablities, faults and weaknesses and judging by his lack of matches he's not convinced anyone. He's 25 and has never had a consistent run of games anywhere he's played for a reason, it can't always be because Martinez has a crush on Howard. He's clearly not good enough but supporters don't need to have to witness it first hand to realise that as the manager and staff have no real faith in him.

As for Catterick and Harvey, well that era dissappearded a long time ago. The last one who came close to having that sort of authority over players was Ferguson and even in his later years lost a grip on that sort of control of things.

Need to get with modern football old timer!!!
Problem is Doug we have an old timer in-between our goalpost!
Its your views that outdated no way would Kone get dropped if he scored three on the bounce -one goal off him would be nice!
Please read what RM states about Robles in my earlier thread a great keeper with huge prospects!
Well RM lets see him! - Or lets sign that Burnley keeper!

Last edited:
In his early 30's he has been voted in the top 10 for the Worlds Best Goalkeeper on three occasions and broke Everton's Premier League record for clean sheets in a season with 16 or 17 (forget which) and was only two games short of equaling Southall's consecutive appearances record.

I agree that this upcoming season should be his last as Everton No 1, but to say he hasn't been playing well in his 30's is just ridiculous. You've just took a few errors from this past season and decided to judge his entire Everton career based on that. You're not the first and its natural but don't be so blinded to say he hasn't been playing well in his 30's. Howard has been a good goalkeeper for Everton on a whole.
I agree a good shot stopper never ever commanded his box { teams this season have sussed this out}not a complete goalkeeper or UNT would have never let him go!

He is in the best shape of his life physically and its quite common for goalkeepers to play well into their late 30's.

He has no agility, no leap, no physical dominating presence so if that's his best shape he can shove it. Why will he suddenly start playing well after years of crapidity ?

although RM will need to consider a replacement in the next couple of seasons.

ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back