Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

TIM HOWARD THOUGH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the problem with wishing injury on Howard. It's wanting the best for the club.
You should not have to wait for any injury to any blues player if most fans on here are agreeable TH is having a very bad season , and a current bad run of form - it's up to our Manager to just put Robles in between the post , and admit he has made a bad mistake in dropping him - Brenda dropped his top goal keeper signing, the shock made him a better Keeper - it's down to RM not an injury to benefit our team, We are all good armchair managers, but I agree with you, as does a good few more on this thread how TH is playing at the moment is worrying as our defence have to work too hard!

To be fair it's probable that Howard has been carrying one or two major injuries over the full course of his Everton career, which would explain the performances. One more couldn't hurt, and would give him the opportunity to retire and enjoy his winnings.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/everto...g-spirit-carries-everton-to-ugly-win-over-qpr

The chosen custodian between the sticks, Tim Howard, has reached untold levels of distrust. Whatever faith the defence once had in their goalkeeper appears to have evaporated entirely. Too often, the defenders babysat Howard. The defence sat so deep that the crowd ought to have made space for the Everton defenders to join them behind the goal.

Howard continues to inspire zero confidence in those around him, and his failure to command his penalty area has descended into a reluctance to leave his goal line. The six-yard box is a welcome mat away from becoming a reception area for opposing forwards. No team can successfully operate with such a lack of belief in the man behind them. The longer this blind faith in Howard continues, the more damaging it is.

Then there was the customary set piece concession. Corners do not even require quality delivery; they seem to trouble the Everton defence regardless. Manager Roberto Martinez's preference for open-play success over set pieces is noted, but it is clear set pieces are problematic at both ends of the pitch. It is too costly a problem to ignore.

E="Eric Djemba-Djemba, post: 3455972, member: 12118"]I don't see the problem with wishing injury on Howard. It's wanting the best for the club.[/QUOTE]
That's racist

edit: realized my comment was a cheap shot so I took it out.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/everto...g-spirit-carries-everton-to-ugly-win-over-qpr

The chosen custodian between the sticks, Tim Howard, has reached untold levels of distrust. Whatever faith the defence once had in their goalkeeper appears to have evaporated entirely. Too often, the defenders babysat Howard. The defence sat so deep that the crowd ought to have made space for the Everton defenders to join them behind the goal.

Howard continues to inspire zero confidence in those around him, and his failure to command his penalty area has descended into a reluctance to leave his goal line. The six-yard box is a welcome mat away from becoming a reception area for opposing forwards. No team can successfully operate with such a lack of belief in the man behind them. The longer this blind faith in Howard continues, the more damaging it is.

Then there was the customary set piece concession. Corners do not even require quality delivery; they seem to trouble the Everton defence regardless. Manager Roberto Martinez's preference for open-play success over set pieces is noted, but it is clear set pieces are problematic at both ends of the pitch. It is too costly a problem to ignore.

I'm very confused by this, did we keep a higher line when Robles was in goal?

Last edited:
Glancing through a few pages of this thread, I can see a correlation between active posters in this thread(or alternatively, people with Robles in their avatars), and idiotic opinions posted about other players elsewhere on GOT. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think Howard needs dropping, but those that are going on hyperbolically about it tend to be clueless when they're talking about other players as well. Fascinating!

I'm very confused by this, did we keep a higher line when Robles was in goal?

Yes and no, at set pieces we did but during play we used a high line and tried to stifle by playing 3 defensive midfield players restricting pressure on him.

Yes and no, at set pieces we did but during play we used a high line and tried to stifle by playing 3 defensive midfield players restricting pressure on him.
Robles seemed to use his 6 ft;5 inches frame more to control his penalty area - he came out far more dominate lay than TH kept three clean sheets , and the central defenders seemed comfortable- also his ball distribution was quicker with good throws to the full backs so,yes the defence were confident to play a higher line, and we looked more comfortable hence three clean sheets on the bounce v two very good teams - made some good saves too , better positioning all round him! imo!
RM surprisingly dropped Robles, and TH confidence , and ability seems to have left him!
TH basic positioning is pathetic all round he has and the team have a problem down to RM choosing him after his injury!

Last edited:
Robles seemed to use his 6 ft;5 inches frame more to control his penalty area - he came out far more dominate lay than TH kept three clean sheets , and the central defenders seemed comfortable- also his ball distribution was quicker with good throws to the full backs so,yes the defence were confident to play a higher line, and we looked more comfortable hence three clean sheets on the bounce v two very good teams - made some good save too , better positioning all round him! imo!
RM surprisingly dropped Robles, and TH confidence , and ability seems to have left him!

Come on Joey 2 very good teams! You're having a laugh aren't you.

I'm assuming one was the RS but when each of the other two are WBA and Palace (lets be as polite as possible here) you're over egging the pudding! Then when you consider WBA had a ten man defence and were less likely to cross the half way line than a South Korean sentry guard I can only assume you mean that powerhouse Palace and the game Robles had to rely on Jags and Stones to clear up his cock ups off the line from crosses.

The reason we went compact and less expansive after the Hull game was to protect Robles, because when he'd come in we lost the first 3 games on the spin and he looked awful. During his first 3 games we conceded an average of 2 goals a game and it needed tightening up quick to stop the rot. Hence the added protection a less emphasis on our attacking fullbacks moving forward and our defensive midfield players sitting closer to the defenders.

We went into shut down mode to stop teams pressuring Robles and creating and scoring as many chances, it kind of worked as we then only conceded on average a goal a game. But he got lucky against the RS with the fact Sterling has the composure of a cokehead in Amsterdam, WBA had no intent on scoring and like I said Jags and Stones saved his arse a few times.

You're making the fella out to sound like the love child of Neville Southall and Peter Schmeichel when he's closer to Frank Spencer and Mr Bean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back